Forums

Cost to repaint & recommendations?

Cost to repaint & recommendations?

Hey super crew,

Lets just say an individual got creative and carved fun phrases and other designs into my Model X. Once the court case is done, maybe I'll post a few pictures for your entertainment. Every single panel was hit other than 1, so I'm looking at a complete repaint along with repairs as needed. Why I am asking here is because I've taken it to 2 places, both supposedly Tesla certified for estimates and one came in at ~$3k (insurance) and another at ~13.5k. The main reason is 90 hours in difference of body labor + 2x the quoted rates (there is another thread out there on Geico and its interesting market rates).

Anyhoo that brings me to my question:
Has anyone done a repaint? About how much did it run you?
Any recommendations of a place in SoCal?

Thanks all

dapetrun | 4 June 2019

GEICO is notoriously cheap in paying for damage repairs. Some of the 4 zone paints that Mazda uses is very technical and requires reflective base paints that are very difficult to match nearby body panels requiring a greater area to blend together. In other words, a paint chip near the edge of the front door/fender area may require to paint both the door AND the fender to match.

Redmiata98 | 17 June 2019

Save yourself a lot of future angst and have it done by a qualified Tesla certified shop. They have unvested time and money in proper training and equipment so they have a vested interest in doing the job right. Most importantly, they will have access to the proper paint and equipment that other non-cert shops do not. You might also be near an actual Tesla shop that does that type of work, they were starting to do more body work in-house at some of their locations.

Redmiata98 | 17 June 2019

Save yourself a lot of future angst and have it done by a qualified Tesla certified shop. They have unvested time and money in proper training and equipment so they have a vested interest in doing the job right. Most importantly, they will have access to the proper paint and equipment that other non-cert shops do not. You might also be near an actual Tesla shop that does that type of work, they were starting to do more body work in-house at some of their locations.

gpeters | 17 June 2019

Well, I did the opposite when the front passenger door on my model X was keyed. The tesla certified shop wanted over $4K to fix it, mostly due to high labor rates and projected "blending" into adjacent panels, although the gouge did not go to the edges. A shop I had used for many years on BMW and Mercedes repairs came in at about $1K. My carrier (State Farm) covered that in full, whereas I would have been out of pocket at the Tesla certified shop. And the job was excellent. So, I don't know why the Tesla certified places are charging such high rates. As my usual guy said, it is just painting a car.....

Passion2Fly | 18 June 2019

Tesla body shop has prices displayed in SoCal: non Tesla $65 per hour for paint, Tesla $135 per hour for paint. Same technician!

TeslaTap.com | 19 June 2019

@Passion - Must be the cheap paint other car makers use - no wonder we see paint flaking off on some 5 year old non-Tesla cars around here!

jjgunn | 20 June 2019

Link https://pics.imcdb.org/5931/pdvd_536.1.jpg

Fast Times.....hang in there Tesla