Forums

VW commercials during the Stanley Cup last night

VW commercials during the Stanley Cup last night

Did anyone see the VW commercial that was a minute long about them coming out of the darkness and seeing the light and it is electric? A rather in your face admission of their diesel-gate issues that cost them billions in fines. VW group is coming, but Tesla has a big lead!

wdbutrym | 10 June 2019

I did see it. I thought is was pretty good.

Kary993 | 10 June 2019

I think it goes to show that advertising, even with a crappy product, goes a long way.

Magic 8 Ball | 10 June 2019

VW has been forced by law to run generic EV commercials for over a year now, here in CA, as part of the dieselgate "settlement". They run the same commercial over and over again.

Joshan | 10 June 2019

People seem to forget the old addage "any press is good press" No one get more advertising then Tesla on the internet and they don't even have to pay.

And for the people who disagree with that addage, ask Trump how it worked? He got nothing but bad press and was elected president.

hokiegir1 | 10 June 2019

I just saw a press release for the new electric VW bus, due out in 2022. If they can do what they say they are currently planning with it, it'll be an impressive vehicle by today's standards. Of course, there's 2 and a half years of progress that could happen in that time, so....

https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/future-cars/official-the-vw-bus-is-back...

jimglas | 10 June 2019

@Hokiegirl: thanks for posting, that looks like it would be fun.

Joshan | 10 June 2019

interesting it looks like a Tesla inside the VM with the ipad in the middle and all. I thought everyone said that was a bad idea? lol

Kary993 | 10 June 2019

@M8B - this commercial is not a generic it was new....

I understand, the forced commercial don't even have a VW product. They show a bolt and no sign of a TESLA anywhere. TESLA makes EV's happen and VW does not even pay tribute in the "penalty" ads.

VW sucks and should be buried.

Kary993 | 10 June 2019

yes not the ad I am talking about.

VW sucks and should be buried.

LostInTx | 10 June 2019

The ad during last night's hockey game was pretty slick. I hope VW applies their considerable resources to proper development and eventual sales of EV's. They're the largest automobile manufacturer in the world. It would be great to have them on board.

Kary993 | 10 June 2019

While I do not disagree that the commercial was cool, it really didn't say anything....imagine if Tesla actually made a commercial to the masses about the cool technology that is in our cars.....

LostInTx | 10 June 2019

Audi, which of course part of VW, has their version of the "intro to EV" ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lloWmgHj6Y

When or if Tesla starts advertising, I anticipate awesome ads.

CharleyBC | 10 June 2019

@hokiegir1, thanks for the VW Bus link. I hadn’t seen that. Kinda cool, and we’ll see what 2022 brings!

What do y’all think about the steering “wheel”? Sort of rectangular, so your hands would be at varying radii as you turn. And it’s solid. I’m used to my thumb being able to touch my fingers. I wonder whether there would be a sacrifice in grip security, especially in emergency handling. It’d be interesting to try.

Fun color. Reminds me of Ryobi power tools.

hokiegir1 | 10 June 2019

@Charley - I like the idea that it can be a "hideaway" wheel (retracting into the dash) when you want to be in more of a "living" arrangement, but I'm not sure about driver comfort. I tend to hand my hand from the bottom -- which would be difficult to do with that, but I'm sure there are other options. Would just have to test it an see.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 12 June 2019

Kary993: There was no actual 'in your face admission' at all. At no point does Volkswagen state what they did or apologize for it. Even the somewhat garbled newscasts that open the piece never actually state what rules/laws were broken or mention Volkswagen by name. Only a rather generic snippet about 'the German manufacturer' is mentioned at one point.

Was it 'slick'? Sure. Because the imagery and sounds and music only points to their being some kind of hardship that someone endured, possibly Volkswagen, but we don't know, because they never say, and giving the vague impression that may have been a bit of exasperating or undeserved persecution that required they dig down, head back to the drawing board, pull out a drawer of drawings for a circa 2007 concept car (that has roots in a circa 2001 concept car) and start over to actually make it a reality, this time. Ooh, so much hard work. But Volkswagen is willing to do it. Really they are. You believe us, don't you? Of course you do. It's only been some forty, fifty, or sixty years since you were intrigued by the Volkswagen Minibus, right? And this time, it will be fully electric (like it should have been the first time). This will really happen, honest! Ain't that just grand? Nostalgia strikes again.

It as also 'slick' because just like a politician talking about 'family values' or 'the middle class' or 'support our troops' not one word of actual meaning or explanation is stated. It's pure marketing, presented in such a way that only those who actually follow automotive news will be aware of what this is really about and why.

So, can you tell I am eternally disgusted by Volkswagen and will NEVER purchase or recommend their products, EVER, even if they 'straighten up and fly right'? Good.

hokiemayur | 12 June 2019

More competition would push technology and probably change the general narrative against EVs.

Magic 8 Ball | 12 June 2019

@hokiemayur

That is true but ICE manufactures are putting up a smoke screen with their half hearted efforts. The ICE manufactures are dragging it out and pissing off their EV customers and then moving them into an ICE product.
ICE manufactures have a vested interest in keeping their ICE business alive.

hokiemayur: In 2014, Volkswagen AG said their AUDI & PORSCHE divisions would deliver electrified 'Tesla Killers' by 2017. All that came out were pitiful PHEVs, some with e-tron labels. All for more cash than the gasoline/diesel models. All in very, very, limited supply.

Finally, the AUDI e-tron (doesn't that mean 'pile of $#!+' in French?) arrived as a station wagon but labeled as an SUV and with a 95 kWh battery that has less range per the EPA than a 2013 Tesla Model S 60.

Competition, you say? Why should I believe Volkswagen will offer 'competition' three years from now, when they have shown no adequate facility for doing so even compared to the 2012 Tesla Model S 85 from seven years ago?

hokiemayur | 12 June 2019

@magic 8 ball @redexile

I think it will come down to economics. As the EV market keeps growing these ICE manufacturers are going to see a slice of the pie that they are not competing in and will move to capture some of that share.

The best bet for EV's is the 30 and younger generation that is probably more receptive to the idea of having EV's.

Kary993 | 12 June 2019

@ReD eXiLe ms us - They don't say it, that was the entire purpose of the commercial. Really, "In the dark we saw the light". I think you are in denial to worry about whether they said it our right or not.

@hokiemayur - That is interesting in that my son 23, hates EV's. They like gas cars....good old traditional ICE. I don't know why.....

calvin940 | 12 June 2019

@Kary993

My 9 year old daughter is disgusted by gas cars and has made me swear/promise that when I teach her to drive it will be on an EV and that I am not to ever buy a gas vehicle again.

I think there is hope after all.

TranzNDance | 12 June 2019

I have a feeling that my kids won't need to learn to drive.

Kary993 | 12 June 2019

Maybe they will ride a horse ;) . Kidding aside I think you may be correct!

PhillyGal | 12 June 2019

I saw it and it caught my eye so much that I wrote about it:

https://enrg.io/vw-embraces-evs-atone-for-its-mistakes/

calvin940 | 12 June 2019

I agree that it is an attempt at an apology.

Really though it's just pure emotional marketing spin to get people to trust them.

I am happy to see that for those who wish to continue to support VW there will be EV options.

However, for VW or any of it's related family, that will never be me.

cmh95628 | 12 June 2019

For those wanting a link to the commercial that Kary993 is talking about, it is embedded in PhillyGal's posting, here:
https://enrg.io/vw-embraces-evs-atone-for-its-mistakes/

@Kary993, since that one is 1:45 long, maybe you can confirm it is the same as what you saw during the Stanley Cup. TIA.

Kary993: The 'Never admit defeat.' and 'Never apologize for greatness.' stance is precisely what created Volkswagen's defeat. Well, that, and a determination to take the old AWA, NWA, WCW, NWO concept of 'Cheat to WIN!' to new heights. This isn't professional wrestling, though. Volkswagen's choices led to deaths.

Thing is? Those choices were applauded not so long ago. I believe it was in 2014 that Volkswagen announced their intent to become 'The Largest Automobile Manufacturer in the World!" by 2018. How did they do it? By hawking their dirty diesel cheatmobiles in every corner of the world, convincing regulators everywhere that they had 'cracked the code' that Volkswagen alone, among all ICE manufacturers had managed to produce a line of clean diesel products without compromise. Cars that produced more power, were more fun to drive, and simultaneously improved fuel economy while reducing harmful emissions to levels here-to-fore unseen. It worked. It was chock full of lies, sure, but it worked. Volkswagen sold around 10,800,000 vehicles worldwide in 2018, to take the crown away from Toyota. Yay?

But now, even though Volkswagen first became aware of investigations in 2014, and ignored their results through 2015, and the dam broke in 2016 as the public became aware of their transgressions, and some concessions were made so that some of their AUDI and PORSCHE diesel vehicles were allowed to be sold on U.S. shores instead of being impounded and destroyed as long as Volkswagen 'promised' (pinky swear) to make them properly compliant and roadworthy... And fines were lodged in numerous territories around the world, and lawsuits were filed and won by gazillions of consumers who earned the right to buybacks of their intentionally defective vehicles even while some took the alternate route of having their cars 'fixed' only to have them greatly diminished, like children from the 'His Dark Materials' series of books that were forcefully separated from their animal familiars (souls?). Thereby removing all semblance of 'character' and 'fun' they once possessed. And now I'm supposed to believe that Volkswagen has suddenly seen the light found their way, banished the offenders, and turned toward the future they steadfastly denied was even possible for years, along with the rest of the traditional automobile manufacturers out there?

Hmmm... No. I was born in the morning, but not THIS morning. To bloody heck with Volkswagen. I have already put forth my terms. Announce a date when they will STOP building ICE cars entirely. Announce the specifications for their supposed sub-€20,000 electric car, to be released only in Europe, eventually. Announce details about how they expect to put 1,000,000 fully electric cars on the road worldwide by 2025 when better than 10,000,000 vehicles are produced by Volkswagen AG every year.

Dates, production quantity, range, configuration... Y'know, stuff like that. Meanwhile... Tesla will probably pass an installed user base of 1,000,000 long range fully electric cars before 2020 ends.

Kary993 | 12 June 2019

@ReD eXiLe ms us - You should watch the last episode of "Now you know" where they give their take about what VW did.....you both are saying the same thing in a different way.

Kary993: Yes. I fully agree with Zack & Jesse of Now You Know, for all the reasons stated above. I fully believe that though Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield of TransportEvolved is convinced Volkswagen has learned their lesson and has reformed, I feel VW is no more sincere or enthusiastic or serious about long range fully electric vehicles than is GM. That would be... not at all. If either of them were to miraculously discover a means to build a 1.5 litre 20-valve quad cam inline four cylinder with a 16,000 RPM redline that output 400 horsepower and 400 pounds-feet torque with the emissions and fuel economy profile of a 600cc three cylinder sub-compact, they would abandon 'electrification' in a heartbeat. Luckily, they can't.

calvin940: Thing is, even saying, "We are so sorry we got caught," which Volkswagwen did not say, still isn't an actual apology. Sure, VW may well feel bad, about getting caught, not about what they did, much like a certain Iran-Contra Conspirator once said, "I thought it would be a pretty neat idea." Actual retribution requires admission, only then can recompense be accepted in absense of reprisal. Let the punishment fit the crime, and stuff. Of course, I could be wrong.

Kary993: This is the way an admission should be done. In the LIGHT.

Phillip Morris Tobacco Settlement PSA (2000) [0:30]
https://youtu.be/3vnqmNjIr9Y

There may have been something like this on the air from Volkswagen before I left California a couple of years ago, but certainly not a national campaign.

Magic 8 Ball | 12 June 2019

...........and candie cigarettes can still be bought on Amazon, go figure.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 13 June 2019

Magic 8 Ball: Those are disgusting. At least, I think those aren't actually produced by tobacco companies. Of course, they never protested their distribution, either. Interesting that prior to the Industrial Revolution, the biggest U.S. exports for years were all 'addictive drugs'. Alcohol, tobacco, sugar, and molasses.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 June 2019

@ReD When I was a shipping and receiving clerk at "Drug King" the candy was delivered by the same outfit that delivered the tobacco products.

Magic 8 Ball: Well, that figures. So many decades of normalizing tobacco use would surely lead to such a consequence. There are still those who believe Microsoft did 'nothing wrong' when it came to illegal use of monopoly power --they considered it 'good business'. There are probably those who saw 'nothing wrong' with Candy Cigarettes as a promotional device or Joe Camel as a mascot either, for the same reasons.

"It's legal, and nobody gets hurt. So, what's the problem?" ranks up there with "I was just following orders." among the stupidest comments of the 20th Century. All you have to do is ignore the millions of dead bodies you must stand upon to make such idiotic declarations. Alcohol, tobacco, firearms, sugar, fat, and the American Way. Oreos, indeed.

@ReD It seem you are a bit taken aback by candy cigarettes. You are younger than me and candy cigarettes were part of the normal mix handed out at halloween when I was a kid. We have made progress but to see them on Amazon is surprising.

Magic 8 Ball: Pardon me. I 'm just barely old enough to remember some first run episodes of 'GUNSMOKE', which were of course accompanied by Marlboro commercials featuring Tom Selleck, whose face adorned billboards in Los Angeles at the time promoting the same product. I thorougly despise tobacco in all forms, but I am personally offended by cigarette smoke. As a child, something like 100% of the people who went out of their way to make my life miserable, were smokers. I decided quite young, maybe age 5 or 6, to never be like them when I grew up. And, thankfully, I'm not at all like them. People who knew damned well that cigarette smoke bothered me, but were determined to TEACH me, SHOW me, CONDITION me to its constant presence. Even to the extent of purposely blowing smoke in my face, or rolling up all the windows when I rode with them in cars on HOT days. They were determined to torture me into silence, so now I'm not silent at all. I coughed. I cried. I could not breathe. So I learned to hold my breath. For a very long time, whenever I was in their perpetually chainsmoking presence. You see kids weren't allowed to talk back to adults in those days. And, the general feeling was that there was something wrong with ME for realizing that SMOKE was POISON and reacting as such.

Candy cigarettes certainly existed when I was a kid. I probably even had some from time-to-time. Though I preferred Pixie Sticks or Candy Canes. My own vice through much of my youth was generally a Mountain Dew or Mello Yello with a Three Musketeers or Milky Way Bar and a Honeybun. Candy and Potato Chips were nice treats, but ultimately were not fulfilling of my 'always hungry growing boy' status.

It didn't take me long to realize chewing gum had the singular effect of reminding me how hungry I was. I had grown taller than my 5'-2" Mom before I finished Second Grade. And by the time I finished Seventh Grade I was taller than all but two of my Uncles. From the time I was fourteen adults spoke to me as if I were a grownup. I was never carded for anything, anywhere, by anyone, until AFTER I was 21.

Funny thing happened then. Apparently I began to age backward. Until I was in my mid-thirties, people often thought I was still in high school. Even now, barely a month before turning fifty-two, people find it hard to assume I am even thirty.

So, my youthful choice to not be a smoker or drinker had the side effect of extending my youthful appearance, in the eyes of others. Of course, when I look in the mirror, I see an old, fat guy staring back... Though others assure me I've not aged a day in 25 years, at least.

LoL

calvin940 | 13 June 2019

There used to be that type/brand of candy cigs that were gum... and they had powdered sugar on them with wrapped paper all around. You would take one out, put it in your mouth and blow slightly and this whitish puff of power sugar came out making it look like smoke... *sigh*

Forgot about those. There was also a big stick of gum in the shape of a cigar with a cigar band.

There is hope for the future and here is to all those kids who give the big thumbs up when they see us driving in our TESLA's.

I remember both the faux cigarette candy and the cigar gum, complete with paper wrapper banding (kids wore them as 'rings') and plastic wrap for 'freshness'. Knowing it was not actually tobacco or nicotine infused doesn't change the insidious marketing nature of providing such 'treats' to children. And today? Kids choose to 'vape' and become every bit as addicted to nicotine. Thank god no one thought to provide actual nicotine to kids 45 or 50 years ago. Enough preteens started smoking back then anyway.

drrock75k | 14 June 2019

Back to VW ad: Ripped off Simon & Garfunkel. I guess their copyright expired. Has it been that long ago?

finman100 | 14 June 2019

ripped off the Custer South Dakota Tesla rally every May..."The Sound of Silence".

Kary993 | 14 June 2019

Those songs were in The Graduate, 1967.....it's been a while.......

Lonestar10_1999 | 14 June 2019

Looks like VW is going after the Flower Power generation as this August will be the 50th anniversary of Woodstock. My guess is that VW will win over a lot of fans by bringing the retro Microbus into the modern era.

For EV enthusiasts choosing VW over Tesla, that decision would be based on emotion, not logic.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 14 June 2019

I'm pretty sure Disney has lobbied to extend copyright laws to better than 75 years in order to protect Mickey Mouse from being swiped by Warner Bros. or anyone else in the public domain. Of course, both Superman and Batman are over 80 years old now. So, I expect Simon & Garfunkle maintain their copyright as well. Chances are they have been well paid, Volkswagen has enough lawsuits to worry about.

gllivyl | 14 June 2019

If you have watched "Dirty Money" on Netflix, you might have second thoughts about buying any VW products.

Pages