Forums

2019.20.1 Blind spot suggestion

2019.20.1 Blind spot suggestion

2016 AP1, just got 2019.20.1 and I’ve noticed it’s got a prompt to”check blind spot for approaching cars” when Autopilot is about to change lanes. Got me thinking ... might be useful if whenever that prompt appears in front of the driver, the rear view camera display pops up over anything on the centre console for the duration of the time the side indicators are on for the lane change.

EVRider | 14 June 2019

Does the HW1 rear view camera display a wide enough field to show the entire blind spot area?

p.c.mcavoy | 14 June 2019

@EVRider - as I’m sure your aware, it will not show cars that are along side of the vehicle.

I for one would not like this type of a feature. My wife’s newest Honda has a feature that whenever you signal to the right, either a turn or lane change. It pops an image from a rear facing camera in the right outside mirror onto the center console. I actually find it very distracting and one of the things I like the least about her car. My only hope if Tesla does such a feature is they make it user selectable, like many of the other features. I know that I’d have it switched off.

vpoz | 14 June 2019

@EVrider the rear vie camera is practically180 degrees, so it will show you the tail end of the car that’s next to you but behind the drivers door, more importantly It’ll show you the car coming up fast from further behind.

TeslaTap.com | 15 June 2019

Might be better to show the appropriate left/right repeater camera. Should have a better view of what's alongside your. Agree it should be an option if they include the feature.