Forums

FSD upgrade

FSD upgrade

I'm thinking of upgrading my M3 from autopilot to FSD capability. Has anyone out there purchased FSD as an upgrade and how did the upgrade/installation process go?

legna_fo_htaed | 10 July 2019

Well technically FSD isn't released yet. You're paying for the potential of the car driving itself at some point using the HW3.0 CPU. Once it is released, as long as you have HW3.0, to my knowledge it will be via OTA update. Till then it's a waiting game. Some people have paid for FSD on multiple Teslas only to never actually see it on that vehicle.

CharleyBC | 10 July 2019

Actually, that's not quite accurate, depending on one's starting point. If you have Enhanced Autopilot, then at this time death_of_angel is correct. FSD adds no features yet.

But if you're coming from Autopilot (no "Enhanced"), then FSD gives you stuff like Navigate on Autopilot.

CharleyBC | 10 July 2019

Oh, and to sort of answer your original question, we added FSD on top of EAP a few months ago. It now shows as part of our configuration. I'm assuming when some new FSD-only feature gets released, it'll just start working (unless, of course it's HW3 dependent).

legna_fo_htaed | 10 July 2019

Ah that's right, forgot about that whole Autopilot and Enhanced autopilot debacle.

gballant4570 | 10 July 2019

I bought FSD after delivery. There is no upgrade/installation process except:

1. Make sure your account lists your car as having purchased FSD in the vehicle details.
2. If your car does not currently have HW3, there will be a hardware upgrade coming later this year.

Other than that, routine OTA software updates will take care of it.

EVRider | 10 July 2019

@gballant4570: If your car does not have HW3, you will get upgraded, but whether it happens this year remains to be seen (despite what Elon has said). No upgrades will happen before Tesla releases FSD features that require HW3. And by “FSD features” I don’t mean actual full self driving, just new features that are only available to people who purchased FSD.

gballant4570 | 10 July 2019

EVRider, I'm well aware.

makandy45 | 10 July 2019

Please note that Elon fired several of his FSD software engineers this week.

billlake2000 | 10 July 2019

I got FSD and my car drove me coast to coast while I sat in the back seat and downed a couple of six packs.

ballingringer | 10 July 2019

Mine drove me home while I took a long nap in the back seat. it opens the garage and packed itself, I didn't even realize I was home until my wife woke me up.
Damn babe! you dreaming about your Tesla again