Forums

Shuttle at Cabazon supercharger

Shuttle at Cabazon supercharger

There is now a shuttle at the Cabazon supercharger (just west of Palm Springs on I-10). It runs every 15 minutes during Desert Hills Outlets opening hours. Very handy if you want to shop the far eastern end of the mall (and Starbucks) and return quickly, avoiding the heat and idle charges.

azbrit | 15 August 2019

This good to know as we are planning a trip to the LA area later in the year.

tanya | 15 August 2019

God forbid for anybody in this country to make an extra step. So much for being green...

carlk | 15 August 2019

God forbid for anyone who's old, sick or handicapped that could not walk a very long distance.

tanya | 15 August 2019

A whole bus full of handicapped. Nice try.

Joshan | 15 August 2019

I think the issue is more about idle fees and the shop owners wanting to tap into the extra business from the SC. If someone walks there they will have no time to shop or will face idle fees and potentially angry owners if they are all full.

So the shop owners likely pay for this so people will come spend money will their cars charge with the van ensuring they have enough time without rushing back to avoid idle fees.

carlk | 15 August 2019

@Joshan +1. And let people to spend a little more time at the mall.

dmastro | 15 August 2019

From the chargers to the far side of the outlets is about 2/3 mile, or about a 13 minute walk for the average person (26 minutes round trip). Doesn't leave a lot of time to order something to eat/drink, or poke one's head in a shop while charging.

Not to mention it's hotter than Hades there during the summer (today will be 114).

cnistal1 | 15 August 2019

I charge at this SC regularly when I visit my home in the desert. This is a welcome addition. As someone already mentioned it's a long walk to the far end of the mall. Far end of the mall includes, Gucci, Tom Ford, YSL, Prada and many other high end shops. Worth a visit if you haven't been there. :)
Thanks for info!

tanya | 15 August 2019

Spend more money on useless things, pollute environment even more. Awesome.

cnistal1 | 15 August 2019

@Tanya
Clothes are a necessity where I live. Not sure if you live in a nudist colony.

carlk | 15 August 2019

Do you realize a lot of things you do everyday are useless things?

dmastro | 15 August 2019

@tanya: I surmise you own an internet connected device of some sort. Completely unnecessary piece of equipment and impactful on the environment.

Lonestar10_1999 | 15 August 2019

It’s a myth that you have to be green to like driving a Tesla.

Magic 8 Ball | 15 August 2019

Watch out everyone, don't make any typos, someone is on the warpath again.

JustSaying | 15 August 2019

We usually charge at our home in the desert to about a 225 mile range for our 130 mile trip to home but two weeks ago due to high head winds we had to stop at the Cabazon charger as we were consuming 500 kw a mile. I also later realized that setting the car temp at 78 is OK when it is 100 outside in Rancho Mirage but on the way home by the time you but the Cabazon area its 70 out and the car heater is now on pretty much full blast. I won't make that mistake again.
Question does the shuttle stop at Ruby's Diner ?

RES IPSA | 15 August 2019

I stopped using toilet paper and wet wipes years ago. The bare hand approach is effective and doesn't harm the environment with killing trees and clogging up the treatment plant. Since I wash my hands anyways after using the toilet, it does not waste any additional resources. We all must do out part to save the environment. It all can't be as luxurious as driving a Tesla. ;)

Someone asked me why didn't my Mom teach me wash my hands after going to the bathroom I said no, she told not me not to pee on my fingers....

sbeggs | 15 August 2019

Ewww.

Will use Cabazon on our return trip San Diego to Desert Hot Springs this November.

RES IPSA | 15 August 2019

The M3 was made for the drive up (or down) Highway 74 into the Coachella Valley. Very fun drive

"The M3 was made for the drive up (or down) Highway 74 into the Coachella Valley. Very fun drive"
A Scary ride for me, I am OK but I worry about the person coming at me in the other lane. The Ortega Hwy I 5 side is also a white knuckler.
When my son used to come to the desert from UCSD , never slept till he pulled into the driveway.

vmulla | 15 August 2019

If those outlet stores are paying for the shuttle to boost their business, they've seriously underestimated Superchargers.
A shuttle every 15mins? That's useless. Teslas charge up by the time the shuttle makes a loop :))
Owners like me would rather charge up and drive to the outlet just to avoid idle fees. Shuttle is a nice gesture, thank you.

Earl and Nagin ... | 15 August 2019

Unfortunately, the Model 3 charges so fast that after waiting for this shuttle (average 7.5 minutes), you'll get to the other end and have only 15 minutes to do something, then get the next shuttle back or you'll face idle fees.

eztider | 15 August 2019

@tanya The shuttle is a five bench (electric) golf cart. It's polluting about as much as your M3, presuming you have one.

@JustSaying sorry, it doesn't go as far as Rubys diner

Magic 8 Ball | 16 August 2019

Shuttle hate, it is a thing.

tanya | 16 August 2019

A waste hater...

Joshan | 16 August 2019

someone is very angry and judgmental.... wow.

Joshan | 16 August 2019

What next we can discuss how Escalators are ruining the world?

tanya | 16 August 2019

@Joshan "...very angry and judgmental..." Who are you talking about? Me? Please define angry and judgmental.

Joshan | 16 August 2019

I will pass.... I think the thread speaks for itself.

terminator9 | 16 August 2019

hmm.. how does that help. Lets say I catch it on the average time and not the worst 15 minutes - 7 1/2 minutes to go there and 7 1/2 minutes to come back. Thats 15 minutes. The car charges in about 20-25 minutes from 20 to 80. That gives me barely 5-10 minutes to shop?

tanya | 16 August 2019

Because now we have one more thing to waste resources on...

RES IPSA | 16 August 2019

@Tanya... Toilet paper is wasteful... the excrement you squeeze out is wasted unless you compost it. We all need to do our part, right?

tanya | 16 August 2019

@RES IPSA Exactly. Why don't you use bidet instead?

dmastro | 16 August 2019

Bidets waste water, our most precious resource. I prefer to wipe with banana leaves and then compost them.

jimglas | 16 August 2019

TMI

ICEMELT | 16 August 2019

It is a good business case for the Mall management to pickup the tab on Idle fees.

I just scoped out the Cabazon superchargers on Google Earth. I do not see any restrooms at the actual superchargers and it looks like restrooms are at the mall??? Why would anyone object to a small electric shuttle that would appear to be a win win convenience?

Joshan | 16 August 2019

because Tanya says it is a waste of resources... duh. *checks for typos before hitting enter*

cnistal1 | 16 August 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
There is a bathroom at the adjacent McDonalds. Although, you normally have to wait in line. :)

If I am looking at the location correctly it looks like some bushes nearby also, maybe a good spot for a treasure hunt : )

jimglas | 16 August 2019

or take a pee

hokiegir1 | 16 August 2019

@jimglas - Isn't that more of a "give" than a "take"? ;)

JustSaying | 16 August 2019

If it works for you,There is a large Supercharger facility currently under construction at "The River" on 111 and Bob Hope in Rancho Mirage CA. Plenty places to eat and drink their ( Aqua bistro has an all day happy hour, I always have a designated driver)
https://theriveratranchomirage.com

kevin_rf | 16 August 2019

In the Southwest/Cali water is worth it's weight in gold and a Bidet could be considered a waste. Over here on the east coast with plenty of water, the next town over tried to sell half our water supply to Nestle (Owns Poland Springs). The Wekepeke has a long history, yes Clinton is involved, yes everyone involved with Clinton being granted rights to the Wekepeke is long dead.... No, not that Clinton....

True fact, the building complex I work in has a parking lot shuttle.Guess work is also a waste... Wait,I think I answered my own question.

Kudos for Desert Hills Outlets for providing a glorified golf cart shuttle. That's lower impact than most parking shuttles.

"There"

The way it looks to me one can finish charging and just move the car to an adjacent spot that is being sentried by many Teslas at a time, has no time limitations, and is away from all the other idiots that stand to door ding your car. I am a shuttle man fan.

There is plenty of free parking next to Cabazon supercharger and finding a good parking spot at the Mall is near impossible. It might make sense do a quick charge, move your car and take the shuttle for a hassle free mall visit?
I like it...

TabascoGuy | 16 August 2019

Great, now I can't get rubberband man out of my head...

tanya | 16 August 2019

@kevin_rf Can you provide links to research proving bidet causes more waste than toilet paper? Don't you recycle water?

Syed.Hosain | 16 August 2019

@tanya "Don't you recycle water?"

You recycle bidet water? Ew ...

Pages