Forums

"Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable -- features may be restored on next drive"

"Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable -- features may be restored on next drive"

Hey all, I got this message appear last night for the first time:
Was not on autopilot when msg appeared.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Software glitch?
Hardware failure?

CharleyBC | 24 September 2019

I’ve gotten a similar message (not certain whether exactly the same) a few times, always when the front cameras were staring directly into the sun. I figure that blinds them, and they are necessary for the AP features, hence the message.

cmdo | 24 September 2019

I received something similar when a firmware download was occurring. Wasn't able to use NAV or AP for entire drive. After I returned home and download finished - on next drive all was good.

jogs.singh | 28 December 2019

I am getting the same message for a week and not able to use Autopilot now and none of the safety features

apodbdrs | 28 December 2019

@jogs.signh see if a hard reboot clears it up. To hard reboot, while on park, depress and hold the brake, depress both scroll buttons and the same time, until the screen goes blank, release the brake and scroll buttons. Wait a minute or two for the screen to refresh. It that doesn't fix the issue, schedule an appointment via your phone Tesla app.

As I recall, but not certain, best thing to do is to stop, put car in Park, exit the car, close the door, reopen the door and start the car as you would normally. If that doesn't work, do the above, turnoff blue tooth when you exit so the door locks, then blue tooth on and re-enter.

Sometimes that issue occurs if you abuse the Autopilot, meaning one keeps ignoring the alerts and it has to to into a mode and lock out Autopilot.

FISHEV | 28 December 2019

"Sometimes that issue occurs if you abuse the Autopilot, meaning one keeps ignoring the alerts and it has to to into a mode and lock out Autopilot."

There is no way to "abuse AP", that makes no sense as the alerts are for Tesla sensors (cameras in this case) are not functioning due either external conditions or software/hardward failure such as condensation inside the side mirror container. There's nothing the owner can do to respond to the system failures except wait for them to clear up.

FISHED, Wrong! It doesn't fail but it will take you out of AP and net let you re-engage until next drive! I know you would not understand, because you have never used Tesla AP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0B7IISj-H4

Another short video of what happens when autopilot warnings are ignored and how to re-establish AP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j-CHqcxrRk

jogs.singh | 29 December 2019

But I have never ignored the warnings, and the issue is not just for a single drive or a day, it’s been showing up for last 10 days and these features are not available for any drive. I have booked an appointment with Tesla service center though

FISHEV | 29 December 2019

"It doesn't fail but it will take you out of AP"

Because camera functionality failed and does so frequently. Most it's a temp warning that comes and goes and cameras fail and comeback, fail and comeback. Saying AP is off until car is "restarted" requires service as that is not from intermittent camera failure.