Forums

First day of delivery Wednesday: falcon wing door on the right fails to close when parked on slope

First day of delivery Wednesday: falcon wing door on the right fails to close when parked on slope

Hi all,

I just took the delivery on Wednesday for Model X. Everything was smooth until I drove it home and found the issue of the right falcon wing door: it fails to close when the car is parked on a slope (i.e., my home's drive way). It will sound alarms and says obstacle detected. I will have to press the close button twice additionally to force it to close. After a careful look, it seems that the door is too close to the chrome on the left side, and it has even introduced a little damage on the chrome. The door works fine on flat roads or slight slope.

Tesla has scheduled an appointment next Monday and said they will fix it. But I still have questions:

- Has anyone encountered before? What is the possible root cause?
- Is this a big issue? Will it be a long-lasting issue? Will it needs to return to factory?
- What shall I do?

Thanks. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Yanling

winbi | 27 September 2019

Yes, I test drove the model x for a day and parked it on my driveway and this happened every time. I asked my SA and he said he its unsual. But I think it’s because of the gravity. I am not sure if there is a fix for that

bdambrosio | 27 September 2019

Aug 2018 MX - happened to me first time a couple of days ago when parked on a steep hillside. Didn't think much about it, since this is a very rare occurrence for me (first and last time to date). I have found Falcon Wing doors very reliable, and a godsend for getting my grandkids into and out of their carseats (we transport them several times every day, so doors get used a lot)

nkar | 29 September 2019

We have a 2018 model X with a falcon door getting stuck. Tesla claims a faulty sensor replaced three times
Door can fall on my grandchild
Very unreliable!! Service takes forever to schedule repair
Also claim orange ring on console screen is a cosmetic issue. They want $1000 to replace !
I plan to trade in my model X
Wake up Tesla stop making lemons

nkar | 29 September 2019

We have a 2018 model X with a falcon door getting stuck. Tesla claims a faulty sensor replaced three times
Door can fall on my grandchild
Very unreliable!! Service takes forever to schedule repair
Also claim orange ring on console screen is a cosmetic issue. They want $1000 to replace !
I plan to trade in my model X
Wake up Tesla stop making lemons

sammijake | 30 September 2019

We have a brand new X (3 days old) and it had a faulty door on picking it up. :-(

afrim | 30 September 2019

Same here when I park in my driveway with the front of the car facing uphill. The driver side FWD attempts to close then it bounces back with a warning as it is about to finish. Pressing the button again from that position works fine. I have noticed that the door is not properly aligned as it comes down. There is at least a half-inch overlap with the rear panel. Mobile service is coming out to look at it on Wednesday, will report back with their findings. Until then, I have been parking with the rear of the car facing uphill to avoid damage to my paint.

i | 1 October 2019

Yes, after a closer look, I can confirm that the door is rubbing the chrome on the rear side of the car. Interestingly, they gave me a loaner car when doing repairs, the right wing door is also very close (much closer than the left wing door), just not that close to not be able to close.

Now my car has been in SC for two days, and when I ask for update they just told me “repairs is still in progress.” When I asked further whether the issue is major or minor and what is the plan to fix it, no response any more... I can see the car was pulled into the shop for hours through mobile app. Still thinking what to do next.

afrim | 2 October 2019

Mobile Service just looked at it and determined that he couldn't fix it on site. I will need to bring it in for the repair.
They assumed that it was a sensor issue when they came out, but now he thinks that it is a problem with one of the actuators not being able to support the weight properly. Based on your experience, I am not looking forward to the visit.

Take a look at this diagram: https://www.teslarati.com/teslas-falcon-wing-doors-work-explained-lego/
I am hoping that it is just a matter of increasing the tension on one of the red springs.

i | 2 October 2019

The visit may be case by case. I have heard that realigning the falcon wing door takes a lot of time. So for me 2 days might not be enough. The SC people are always friendly though.

mduranceau | 6 October 2019

I had the same problem. Receive the car at the end of June. Had the exactly same problem with right Falcon door. Brought the car after a week and they had to remove the rear window to put it in a better place so the Falcoon door would not hit the window while closing

afrim | 15 October 2019

Any luck with getting your door fixed? My SC is telling me that it is normal for the door to have trouble closing on a hill and there is nothing that they can do to fix it. They offered to fix the paint damage, but what good is that going to do since it will get scratched again within a couple of days.

Bagzzz | 15 October 2019

I was on a road trip 1000 miles from home and the actuator failed at a supercharger. Roadside service made an emergency appointment at the closest service center and they replaced the actuator in under 3 hours. Not sure why it would take several days other than backlog.

NV4NV | 17 October 2019

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this (flaps one arm like a falcon wing).
Doctor: Then don't do that.

It's an old vaudeville joke, but you can substitute Patient for Model X owner and Doctor with Tesla.