Forums

Front-end collision

Front-end collision

Recently my M3 was involved in a front-end collision ($7k in damages, no air bag involved, very low speed in rush hour traffic) where the driver reported hitting the brakes hard as soon as the brakes lights came on in the car in front. "It felt like I was on ice, the car just kept going without slowing down." No collision warning sound or warning on the screen.

What have been others experiences with front-end collision?

Note: M3 purchased 12/31/18, all the lastest features, running V9, Enhanced Auto Pilot purchased-not yet received.

EVRider | 6 October 2019

If you weren’t in the car, how do you know the driver wasn’t telling you the brakes didn’t work just because they didn’t want to admit their mistake? Did you get dashcam video?

EVRider | 6 October 2019

Also, if you purchased EAP, you should have received it pretty much immediately. How do you know you don’t have it?

vmulla | 6 October 2019

Sorry about the accident.
First, stop using Autopilot. My Autopilot seemed to work for a while even after the accident, but it wasn't acting right. Don't engage it until Tesla gives an all clear.

Next be proactive with repairs - there is a lot of coordination between insurance, Tesla and bodyshop. If you stay on top of the process things will move faster.

Estimates can vary quite a bit even across Tesla certified shops, shop around. It's worth it if you can drive your car to a bodyshop in a less-busy city near you, scheduling service is easier.

Do not give up your car if it's drivable. Make sure all the parts are in before giving up your car.

Try to recover the dashcam footage FWIW

--

Again sorry about the experience. I'm really enjoying my car after my front end accident, I'm not babying the car as much, and am more relaxed about using the car - the way it should have been all along. Good luck!

jbwillows | 6 October 2019

Follow up notes: I do have EAP on the car but it was not engaged at the time - local main streets with speeds in the 25-30 mph range. The Dashcam was in place but neither the driver nor I thought to save the footage (I got to the scene around 20 minutes later with the cars to the side and the police writing their report). By the time I thought of the Dashcam over three hours had passed and all I had was a hour of the front of my garage. I'm going to check to see if I can use undelete to recover some video.

Rutrow 3 | 6 October 2019

When I test drove a Model S in 2016, the salesman told me that Automatic Emergency Braking will only activate if you're NOT applying the brakes, that it wouldn't over-ride your inputs if the computer thought you were attempting evasive maneuvers. I can see how that would make sense (especially back in the early days of EAP). That might explain the lack of warning sounds.

As for sliding like on ice? Was it near an intersection? Like in an area where ICE cars waiting at a stoplight would be constantly dripping grease and oil? I've experienced spots like this that were slick as ice on warm summer days. ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

howard | 6 October 2019

My aftermarket Garmin dash cam will auto record upon impact. Does the Tesla not? I assume you went through all the various saved files in both directories. Surprised it would not record an impact. Good to know.

aptwo | 6 October 2019

I've had a few close calls and the statement "It felt like I was on ice, the car just kept going without slowing down." is a complete bullshit. BULLSHIT. Show videos please.

vmulla | 7 October 2019

@aptwo,
The other driver was saying that, not the OP.

derotam | 7 October 2019

@vmulla, the driver of the OP's Model 3 said that, not the driver that they hit.

EVRider | 7 October 2019

@jbwillows: If you have EAP, why did you say “Enhanced Auto Pilot purchased-not yet received” in your OP?

vmulla | 7 October 2019

derotam | October 7, 2019
@vmulla, the driver of the OP's Model 3 said that, not the driver that they hit.
----
Wait, the owner of the 3 wasn't driving it? That's unfortunate...
Thanks for clearing it up.

Keithdorschner | 7 October 2019

Be careful who you loan your car to. Driver was more than likely not paying attention and to cover his/her ass decided to blame it on the Tesla. With so much FUD in the news it is not surprising they’d try that approach. I’m sure the cops on the scene and everyone else agreed that the accident was the cars’s fault.

calvin940 | 7 October 2019

"where the driver reported hitting the brakes hard as soon as the brakes lights came on in the car in front. "It felt like I was on ice, the car just kept going without slowing down."
---------------------
Definitely BS statement in an effort to not admit fault. I really dislike folks that don't have any personal responsibility. That "driver" would never be driving my car again.

lbowroom | 7 October 2019

Is there a single post in this thread that makes any sense?

"Surprised it would not record an impact"

TeslaCam records everything on a 10 minutes roll-over. When something happens you have to hit the record button and it converts the last 10 minutes to permanent files on the thumb-drive.

Isn't this the same story posted a few weeks ago where it was surmised the driver had both pedals pressed? The driver claims the brakes locked and it felt like it was sliding on ice but at the same time that the brakes didn't work. None of which makes any sense. Either the brakes locked and the car slid or the brakes failed to work. Or the driver pressed the gas harder than the brake resulting in nothing happening.