Forums

Powerwall 2 Failure

Powerwall 2 Failure

Two days ago my Powerwall (2xPW2, installed 2016) went offline right as PG&E announced potential utility safety shutoffs. Batteries are flashing green like they are not configured and there is zero connectivity. No app data, no TEG-xxxx WiFi and the wired lan port on the backup gateway has no link. After literally multiple hours on hold with support it seems they want to send out an engineer with an antenna kit. Anyone experienced this? Quite frustrating given the need for backup right now. Tesla hasn’t given a timeframe for repairs.

Depowering the whole house and restarting after 10 minutes causee a Neurio-xxxx wlan show up for a couple of minutes then the system goes back to periodic beeps and stays dead. I can get a username/password prompt off of that page but its definitely not the standard powerwall UI and I have no login information.

Not sure there is much else I can do except to see when service shows up.

Passion2Fly | 25 October 2019

Your Neurio module has probably failed. I’ve heard this before. It’s a very simple replacement. The Neurio sits inside the gateway, not the battery.

gregbrew | 25 October 2019

Why would a Neurio failure cause the whole PW system to stop functioning? The Neurio interface is for reporting. The TEG should be able to control energy flow to and from the batteries, grid and home without it.

Passion2Fly | 25 October 2019

Blinking green light means communication failure... I’m not sure the battery can operate properly without it...

martin.p | 26 October 2019

Tesla are sending a tech out next week to try and get the system back online and/or diagnose what parts are needed. The backup gateway module (not the Neurio) looks dead to me. If that went out then the batteries won’t function.

gregbrew | 26 October 2019

Sounds like com within the system, not to the outside world. During a grid outage, my system stopped communicating to the outside world (even via the TEG's built-in WAP), but continued to function fine otherwise. It all sorted itself out within a few hours. Sounds like Martin's problem is elsewhere in the TEG, like he suggests.

Martin, please do keep us updated on what the issue ultimately is found to be.

charlesj | 26 October 2019

So, can I assume a couple of things?
1. If Gateway fails will solar power go into the grid at least if not the house and battery?
2. if gateway and PW fail, would the PV system be able to send power to the grid and house if grid is working?
Thanks

gregbrew | 26 October 2019

If the TEG fails, you're done. It is the Tesla Energy Gateway, and controls power to and from the Grid, the PV, the residence and the PWs. I'd guess that the nature of the failure would determine what (if anything) would still work.

martin.p | 26 October 2019

Solar is functioning as expected but that’s because the grid is currently up. We’re getting waves of shutoff warnings from PG&E right now. If the grid goes out then everything will go.

martin.p | 29 October 2019

Good news - the system is back online. Tesla did a service visit today. The tech (interestingly the same one who did the original install two years ago) quickly diagnosed that the backup gateway controller had indeed died. Neurio was fine. He got a replacement controller sent over from the warehouse, installed it and recommissioned the Powerwall. It took a bit of work with tech support to get the new install to show up in the app but it’s there now. Kudos to the tech for expediting the parts and getting it all done in the visit. So happy to have the system back. They still want to install an antenna kit but that can wait for another time.

The app is not currently showing advanced/time based options but apparently that will come back at some point.

martin.p | 29 October 2019

Good news - the system is back online. Tesla did a service visit today. The tech (interestingly the same one who did the original install two years ago) quickly diagnosed that the backup gateway controller had indeed died. Neurio was fine. He got a replacement controller sent over from the warehouse, installed it and recommissioned the Powerwall. It took a bit of work with tech support to get the new install to show up in the app but it’s there now. Kudos to the tech for expediting the parts and getting it all done in the visit. So happy to have the system back. They still want to install an antenna kit but that can wait for another time.

The app is not currently showing advanced/time based options but apparently that will come back at some point.

Mangini.nancy | 3 November 2019

Please tell me how you got Tesla to send a service technician to your home? I've been trying to get through on that line for 7 days - yes, multiple hours on hold - with only "we'll call you back" promises. Result, only more silence. No calls back. No service. No working system.

charlesj | 3 November 2019

@Mangini.nancy which call center did you call, or is there only on in the US?
Your story does not instill confidence in my current application process. The stage two rep couldn't find the email sent to me a few days before and had a hard time finding my several follow up emails.

kevinsabarese | 4 November 2019

Tesla Powerwall customer service and support is some of the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. One of my Powerwalls has been blinking green since about a month or two it was installed. You would think Tesla would monitor this type of thing and let you know (as the customer) your system isn’t working. But naw, they would rather have you wait on hold for hours and then lie to you if you are lucky enough to talk to someone at Tesla who will cop attitude to you while they don’t take care of their broken products.

martin.p | 8 November 2019

@Mangini.nancy - I got someone in Powerwall first line support who escalated and stuck with the case. The PG&E emergency was maybe a factor but being polite and persistent was part of it too. The tech was great. Followed up a day later to check things were working ok too.

charlesj | 9 November 2019

Martin.p Where are you located? Where did the tech come from?