Forums

Did Tesla tested Electromagnetic radiation while charging with supercharger?

Did Tesla tested Electromagnetic radiation while charging with supercharger?

Hi,

I was wondering if Tesla or anyone tested radiation / emf while supercharger is charging the car. Usually people sit inside (me too)

msmith55 | 30 October 2019

Since supercharger uses DC, no EMF would be present. Just FUD .

kevin_rf | 30 October 2019

You are also sitting inside a large Faraday cage that had been properly grounded. Again, not an issue...

gmr6415 | 30 October 2019

If you have concerns, don't buy an EV.

To echo that, buy a 1950's diesel. Nothing electric, not even spark plugs in one of those.

AZTesla | 30 October 2019

I've wondered this, too, which is why I don my chainmail armor prior to charging up the M3.

Magic 8 Ball | 30 October 2019

All my hair has fallen out, I don't think they tested.

jimglas | 30 October 2019

M8B: Before or after you bought your car?

Magic 8 Ball | 30 October 2019

My mistake, but whatever is wrong with me is most likely Tesla's fault.

andy.connor.e | 30 October 2019

Or worse, i think its Elon's fault.

I blame Obama

TeslaTap.com | 30 October 2019

This thread has the highest laughs per posts ratio in a long time :)

Also, i think this is a good time to note that someone is considering EMF radiation from an induced magnetic field from current flow down a wire. Supercharging, something you would do for less than an hour, presumably a couple maybe 3 times per week? Nevermind the phone you own that gives off radiation every second its on, all the cellphone towers and the countless wifi radio waves you're exposed to. If you have smart devices in your house thats even more. 5G is being released despite negative health effects. But im sure the supercharger current flow through that wire is of some significance.

dmastro | 30 October 2019

I think several of you need to consider that many people are not very knowledgeable about charging, cellular / wireless radio transmission, etc... and it's completely understandable that someone could have a question about whether a huge, powerful battery would give off some sort of electromagnetic radiation.

Some of the responders gave helpful responses without just assuming that it was an attempt to spread FUD - thanks to you!

A tinfoil hat has been proven to protect you, I suggest you get one.

I thought the aluminium in tin foil caused Parkinson's. Tin when combined with electronics will definitely cause whiskers.

WhiteWi | 30 October 2019

Oh no. This terrible. Why did they do that. Must be master plan to reduce human population = reducing CO2 pollutions.

Is

lbowroom | 30 October 2019

I was in an Apple store once looking at cases for my phone. A customer very eagerly asked an associate whether they had any cases that would shield the harmful radiation coming from the phone. I tried to explain that the harmful radiation is what turns the phone from a paperweight into a communication device. He didn't get it.

TM3Q | 30 October 2019

@msmith55

Hum so DC has no electromagnetic field???

How do you think a DC relay works or DC motor or a selenoid, how can you mesure the DC amperage of a wire using a clamp on meter......if current goes thru a wire it will create a electromagnetic field, the difference is DC will have a constant electromagnetic field (except when closing or opening the circuit wich cause a variation)

Without electromagnetic field all the car starter wouldn't start......it's a powerful DC motor :-)

Cheers

@msmith55 is an old memorable account name. Welcome back!

Atoms | 30 October 2019

Absolutely Tesla had testing performed by 3rd party and possibly some internal testing. This is required by FCC to meet emission standards. https://fccid.io/2AEIM
Tesla could not sell their products without FCC approval. If you have questions about the standards, contact the FCC.

TabascoGuy | 30 October 2019

Seems like this thread is a copy/paste from one a few weeks ago...

Atoms | 30 October 2019
jeffnz | 30 October 2019

This is a legitimate question which applies to both intentional and unintentional radiators. You'll find Declarations of Conformity for the standards required by various subsystems in the Owners Manual. Test reports as well as RF maximum permissible exposure calcs are available on the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology website: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

And as noted above, Tesla could not sell their products without FCC authorization or Industry Canada, Europe CE, etc.

Passion2Fly | 30 October 2019

Supercharging is DC power. No radiations. For L2 charging is a valid question.

BradPDX | 30 October 2019

DC current will produce a static magnetic field, which is not capable of propagation into space - it just resides in any loops created by the conductor. AC current will product actual EM waves that propagate,, but even then we're talking very low frequency - 60 Hz - and hence nothing interesting. Also, any EM radiation is a function of current, not voltage.

I ain't worrying about it. Way more "iffy" stuff out there, mainly our phones and very high frequency 5G nonsense.

Atoms | 30 October 2019

Could not find the Declarations of Conformity for IEC standards. FCC and IC are listed, but not IEC EN standard conformity.

Atoms | 30 October 2019

Could not find the Declarations of Conformity for IEC standards. FCC and IC are listed, but not IEC EN standard conformity.

Isn't there a guy on twitter that claims batteries cause sterility? And a science teacher in Tennessee who's declared that solar panels cause cancer?

I am glad sterility ain't got s""t on me )))) 3 kids and no plans for more )))

MTF16 | 30 October 2019

Tesladriver2019sn might mean the radiation in the infrared band. Its getting pretty hot. Probably v3 is better.

Xerogas | 30 October 2019

@lbowroom: "Isn't there a guy on twitter that claims batteries cause sterility? And a science teacher in Tennessee who's declared that solar panels cause cancer?"
------
There’s a whole town that refuses to allow solar PV panels on roofs, because they would suck up all the sunlight.

Oh wow! Do they still burn witches?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 30 October 2019

dmastro: I remind you that all my posts on the internet are...

CLOSED CAPTIONED FOR THE HUMOUR IMPAIRED.

I suspect that those you arechastising may bear that Ample Warning Alert in the small print as well. Dude. Chill.

coselectric | 30 October 2019
dmastro | 30 October 2019

@rEd: Well, I do find some of your posts hilarious. Point taken.

bjrosen | 30 October 2019

FCC compliance has nothing to do with health or safety, it has to do with radio interference. All electronic devices are radios, some that are intentional, i.e. any Bluetooth, WiFI or LTE device and some are unintentional. Computer's run at multi gigahertz speeds, all of the connections on their PC boards are essentially little antennas. The FCC requires that devices such as computers be shielded so that they don't interfere with radios. Devices that contain radios have to comply with the power and spectrum limitations of that class of device, you can't have your WiFI devices interfering with your Bluetooth devices or with FM radios or anything that isn't a WiFI device. Cars are rolling computers plus they have radios so they have to comply with FCC regulations.

I did some compliance work for a server that I designed 20 years ago. FCC compliance is easy because it's just physics and the regulations for the FCC's counterparts in the EU and Asia are compatible so once you've met the strictest emission's requirements you've met it for all. Safety is much more of a can of worms because the requirements in different parts of the world are deliberately incompatible because they are used as a trade barrier, actual safety is secondary to these regulations.

As for the original question, as other's have said there is no ionizing radiation so you don't have to worry. Phones emit microwave radiation but at such a low level that it isn't going to cook anything. Your microwave oven operates at a kilowatt, your cell phone is at microwatts, the oven can cook a hotdog in a minute because a kilowatt is a lot of energy and when it excites the water molecules in your hotdog they convert the microwaves into heat. A few microwatts converted to heat isn't enough to be noticeable, it can't cook your brain. However if you are concerned then just use your phone over Bluetooth because radiation follows an inverse square law, the radiation at 30 cm is 900 times weaker than at 1 cm so even if holding a phone to your ear was dangerous, it's not but for arguments sake lets say it is, then putting the phone down on the phone pad and using Bluetooth would reduce the risk by a factor of a thousand. As for DC current that's used for charging, that doesn't emit anything. You can't even hurt yourself by licking the contacts in the plug because you can't send the necessary protocol from your tongue to the charger to turn it on.

gmr6415 | 30 October 2019

@BradPDX, you are correct and the old ignition coil is the perfect example. While the points in the distributor are closed the primary coil has current flowing through it. When the points open the current in the primary coil is terminated and the magnetic field collapses across the secondary coil inducing high voltage current into the secondary coil which looks for a ground and causes the spark across the spark plug.

PteRoy | 30 October 2019

Did any of you guys see the article that says we are slowly growing horns on our heads from cell phones?

in7 | 30 October 2019

A tinfoil hat might make it safer for you. Not sure.

ADinM3 | 30 October 2019

@bjrosen, One thing I would tweak in what you say is that the concern (by some) is not that the cell phone will cook your brain (it can't), but that the frequency is such that the small energy being transmitted can be focused to the point of breaking a molecule bond causing DNA damage or release of free radicals which can lead to cancer and other bad effects. Humans have evolved to deal with this to some degree else we would never be able to walk in the sun light or survive random cosmic rays and natural occurring radiation all around us.

I'm not worried about this at the moment as I don't believe current phones transmit at frequencies and power levels where they are ionizing and can break DNA bonds although some early day cellphones were likely a bit sketchy. 5G is a different ballgame as I believe 5G is at least in theory capable of breaking molecular bonds. I haven't looked hard at this yet, but I will before I ever get a 5G phone.

I would, however, agree with everyone here that people worrying about em radiation exposure during supercharging, has much, much bigger concerns in the real-world if they only knew. 1 teeth x-ray at the dentist or a long distance flight in an airplane would expose a person to far more radiation. We live in a sea of radiation already.

If OP really wants to wake people up, maybe this thread should have been "All the things in life that expose me to more em radiation than my Tesla".

M3phan | 30 October 2019

It’s actually Tesla’s plan to promote larger families...the supercharger/battery radiation creates a field that causes, how shall I say it, “instant torque motility.”

kevin_rf | 31 October 2019

Btw. The wavelength for 60hz is 3100 miles. No one has dna that long.

Fun tidbit, due to the US power grid being interconnected, 60hz means when viewed from space, the US blinks on and off 120 times a second. (Due to all the sodium, fluorescent, and LED lights used in outside lighting). It's twice the frequency due to the two zero crossings per cycle with a positive and negative peak. With incandescent lights, it shows up as a small ripple.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 31 October 2019

bjrosen: I interpret the FCC mandate slightly differently. I think they exist to prevent communication used on unmonitored frequencies by spies, or at least to make it much more difficult to do so by other criminals, such as terrorists or drug dealers.

Further, the phrase 'must accept interference' makes me think the government wants to make sure consumer devices are NOT shielded in such a manner that they cannot be turned ON, shut OFF, or monitored remotely by the government.

My Dad was a radio operator in the U.S. Army. He monitored broadcasts out of Cuba before I was born. He used to say, "Anything that can Receive a signal can Send a signal. Be careful what you do in front of a television set."

hamiltonned | 31 October 2019

ReD eXiLe ms us: "Anything that can Receive a signal can Send a signal. Be careful what you do in front of a television set."

I made a crystal radio when I was a kid. Could it have sent a signal? And some folks with gold fillings in their teeth can receive a radio signal when near a high powered radio transmitter. Can their teeth send a signal?

lbowroom | 31 October 2019

“ Be careful what you do in front of a television set."

I think that’s more in line with the fear of getting hairy palms

Tronguy | 31 October 2019

Aw, jeez. This $BS again.
FWIW, I actually shepherd equipment through EMI/EMC testing from time to time. And, no, I haven't tested a Tesla. But let's clear up a couple of things right off.
First: Just because the car battery and a supercharger are DC, it doesn't mean that there aren't lots and lots of higher frequency stuff flying around. The usual game is Supercharger DC -> DC-DC converter -> DC Battery. The DC-DC converter is (a) inside of a metal box and (b) switches the heck out of the incoming DC at the highest frequency designers can buy (better efficiency that way), goes through a transformer (higher frequencies means smaller transformers, a Good Thing), and then gets rectified back to DC, typically using switching transistors for the purpose. Details are likely complicated and Fun, but all of this stuff will be inside of a Faraday Cage box. So, being on the outside, one is Extremely Unlikely to see any of that stuff.
I'm also willing to bet that the boxes in question are steel; aluminum, while weighing less, don't stop magnetic fields from the transformers/coils involved with the DC-DC stuff so much, while the steel ones they likely use can hold a magnet (like a refrigerator) and attenuates the heck out of magnetic fields. The electric fields get stopped by anything conductive, like said Faraday shield boxes.
Next: Yup, a DC current has a constant electric field as well as a constant magnetic field. But you'll note that the batteries and their wiring are in Metal Box. And the "Pagoda", which is bolted to the battery box, is where the current comes out.
Next: the boards containing the switching transistors that make the Real High Frequency Garbage are actually.. Inside the motor casing, the better to cool everything with. And that casing shields stuff from going in/going out.

Next: Despite the claims of the Aluminum-Hat-Wearing Brigade, it's ionizing radiation that can do the damage. So, let's look at that.
Suppose one is operating a RADAR at 20 GHz. Wavelength at 20 GHz = (speed 'o light/frequency) = (300e6/20e9) = 1.5 cm, or about .59 inches. Max amplitude to min amplitude is a half wavelength, about 0.3". Now, if one is running at, say, 1000 W on that radar (typical for a search radar) and some math results in about 9.2V across that 0.3". OK.. People have a (literal) skin resistance of around 15 kOhms, so that would result in 9.2/15e3 = 614 microamps. Which might not sound all that bad, but that's over an entire body. And especially in places with lousy cooling, like eyeballs and reproductive organs. And now you know why its dangerous to stand in front of an operating radar. And the current values are larger than what one gets on nerves, so, really, don't stand in front of that radar.
Deep breath. Radars are intentional transmitters. High power lines in the overhead, transistor radios, TV sets, computers, and all that are definitely not: They're incidental emitters; if there's 20 microwatts coming out of a TV set, I'd be surprised, especially if that TV set passes FCC Class B and the ITU equivalent, both of which Don't Want Electronics Messing Up Other Radios. (In fact, the FCC Class B requirements are based upon the idea that there's a TV attempting to receive Channel 3, with the unintended emitter on the other side of the wall from said TV. Those requirements have since been extended down to 10 kHz and up into the cell phone/microwave areas.)

ADinM3 | 31 October 2019

@ReD, I would say that in theory anything that involves moving electrons around creates effects (em waves and induced signals on other lines, etc). The point is whether the signals can be resolved from a distance, isolated, and even if they could, can the signal be interpreted into coherent information. Most modern devices shield and filter moderately well so this is a very very tough task.

@lbowroom, However, there are people (organizations) in the world who's sole job is to do this kind of stuff. You might be surprised what people can do when they have near infinite time and money to throw at a task.

That said, in the modern digital/IoT world, there are much easier ways of getting information versus reverse engineering em radiation from afar.

If you have televisions, security systems, toasters, etc with a cameras, microphones for speech recognition, internet connections, etc I would definitely think twice about what you do in front of them. Lol

And I've got more to say. But the blame forum software won't let me do it :).

Pages