Forums

Center console touchscreen dead and AC stuck on... 2015 model S

Center console touchscreen dead and AC stuck on... 2015 model S

If happens to your model S, call tesla. If you can't get through to Tesla, I'd recommend driving it to a service center ASAP and if that is too far away have it towed... Your MCU is in need of repair. This is basically the transmission/brains of the Model S and with the AC on non-stop your battery is going to die.

Two weeks ago my autopilot was not tracking correctly (not detecting highways, so speed while under auto pilot was reduced).
I reset the MCU unit as I have done numerous times in the past. I plugged my charger cable and didn't think anything of it.
The next day I went to drive it and it was stuck... the AC was on and the battery was not charging.
I received a message that read, "please wait while vehicle systems power up."

This happened once before (when I went on vacation for a couple of weeks). On that occasion the MCU rebooted itself. So I drove it around a little but no luck... Tried plugging it into a super charger but no luck. I looked on the message boards and I didn't find anything like this except for someone with a model 3 problem in HI.

I gave it one more day of plugged in with the AC running and then unplugged it and made an appointment. As you might know the Tesla appointments are just a smidge backed up at the moment.

I was traveling for work when I got a call to ask about my car. The funny thing about Tesla is they already know what is wrong with your car given the connectivity. When Juan called my from the LA service center it was unfortunate how rude and unhelpful he was. Of the entire experience this was the most disappointing. It was my fault that it took me a day to return my car and he informed me it would be my fault if the battery fully discharged... which was contrary to what I read online. Juan said this would void the battery warranty. Kinda confusing right, your computer on a 4 year old car dies and it is the owner's fault that the car is undrivable and will not charge... clearly very disappointing for a part of the car so critical to it, would fail at just over 4 years of driving. The only analogy I can make is it's like the transmission blowing out on another luxury car... which just doesn't happen.

Anyways, I had the car towed to Tesla (while I was out of town on vacation). The service center did the test and informed me that the MCU had failed. It has a history of needing to reboot which they would know. It was replaced with in a day. Price was $2,200 area. BTW it did take over two days to connect with the service department at the Torrance center, apparently the phones were out...

When I got my car back the AC vent to the left of the steering column was jammed closed and was non-functional. So I drove it back and the maintenance person was able to "fix" it. The air does not come our full force but at least it is not jammed closed. And to top it off, I made a stop on my way home and when I opened the trunk, I noticed they forgot to put the trunk cover back in... Amazing service rt? I did text them about this and they are going to bring to my house at a convenient time, likely will have to leave on my porch like an amazon package.

I hope this helps current owners and future buyers. I have been a huge fan of Tesla and my model S since I purchased it. I have also told friends repeatedly that Tesla's are the best value in used cars. Unfortunately, this entire experience has made me rethink it. The debate when I bought it was would it be like buying an iphone (need a new one every couple of years) or would it be like buying a luxury car... Rt now it feels like an iphone product cycle with the service of cable company or airline.

CAcommuter | 3 November 2019

posted 11 03 19

bernhard | 4 November 2019

Sounds like a pretty bad experience you had. This really reinforces my decision to have the MCU preemptively repaired by replacing the flash chip that causes the whole MCU to die.

emipn | 4 November 2019

did you try to get your old MCU? Did it get replaced by a brand-new mcc or a remanufactured one?

camron.rahmanian | 5 November 2019

Interesting thing is my ordered used 2015 S 85D is sitting at service center and they are replacing MCU preemptively as well it seems.

lingle.chris | 7 February 2020

Sounds familiar. Earlier this week, I had several days of being unable to connect to 2015 MS with mobile app. Did usual of rebooting phone several times. No go. Decided to reboot car. Unfortunately, center screen did not reboot, and I have been through multiple attempts involving scroll keys, brake+scroll keys, brake+scroll keys+keys above scroll keys. Initial dashboard info was OK, except no longer was mileage incrementing and efficiency calculated. Made it home. Car will charge, but reports 40/40 amps which normally is never achieved on my home charger. External sensors (temperature, objects in front or behind) not working. But heat is running continuously at low level so drains battery about 30 miles per 6 hours. Since phone app isn't connecting, couldn't even schedule service call, but got a backup phone connected enough to setup Mobile Service for next week. Tried calling local service, but of course they refer you to App. Tried leaving message with local sales (who in past have been helpful). After letting car sit yesterday, I drove it today. Dashboard is fixed at 15% intensity, which in normal light is unreadable. But I thought, well, when cars were first on the road, they probably had no dashboard info at all. I have considered driving to local service center, but not sure I'd get a loaner in return, while they wait to shuffle it through their cue. Not confident the Mobile Service can address this, particularly if it is an MCU issue.
Yes, the old days of personal Tesla service are long in the past. Now the whole system is designed to eliminate any personal contact. I think various possibilities could be triaged in a 2 minute phone call, then at least providing some assurance about appropriate next steps.

Seems a bit like HAL 9000's deterioration as Dave is removing memory chips. Is the car currently in a stable, if limited situation, or is this just a slippery slope towards ultimate loss of function?

steveb | 7 February 2020

I believe "BigHorn" in this Forum had his MCU replaced with Tesla Ranger service. Once you have the appointed created, Tesla attempts to remotely diagnose. When my MCU went, they even attempted to download new firmware during the course of the day, in an attempt to resolve my problem. I ended up have to take the car to the SC for them to finally diagnose the bad memory in my MCU1. It took them a few days because they didn't have the MCU part on hand. Luckily they had a loaner 85+

Bighorn | 8 February 2020

Yep—ranger fixed mine a few weeks ago in my garage. I think I scheduled it in on my computer. App is not necessary. Keep it plugged in to counter the climate draw. Better than new now and I don’t regret the price.

NKYTA | 9 February 2020

Fanboi!

Going to schedule NKYTA sometime this week for the missing charge port covers...and the 45kW draw at 50% SOC.

I’ll report back.

NKYTA | 9 February 2020

;-)

Bighorn | 9 February 2020

My charge rate last week was incredibly consistent in the 110 sums and saw peak onset at up to 125 kW which quickly adjusted. I think it’s more stable with the MCU update.

NKYTA | 9 February 2020

This isn’t the forced software, and should be easy to test.

tes-s | 10 February 2020

@BH - I see the same as you with my original July 2013 build battery. What battery revision do you have now? I'm wondering if I get a new MCU and upgrade from my 2018 firmware if I will see reduced charging / range.

Bighorn | 10 February 2020

@tes
Do you mean what battery version did I get as a replacement in July 2018? The label might be caked in snow. I’ve never seen a targeted reduction in charging speed, just the global effect of FW sent in 2019 that dropped average power by ~17 kW.

tes-s | 10 February 2020

Yes, I think I have the B battery. Hoping it still charges the same with the new MCU and firmware.

Bighorn | 10 February 2020

It should. I have a B or later.