Forums

Electrify America is building out fast. 150kW CCS base.

Electrify America is building out fast. 150kW CCS base.

I have no home charging. No work charging. Dependent on public chargers so more is better.

Mostly at Tesla's SC's but always looking for more places to charge. My two closest SC's are "high usage" often full, lines and no all the chargers working or at full power.

Electrify America is building out a public charging system that will rival and complement Teslas.

EA has built one 10 x SC right near the Vancouver, WA Tesla SC so that is nice. No CCS adapter from Tesla yet so I can only use the single legacy Chademo at 50kW.

EA has a legacy 4 x 50kW near work.

And today I found one under construction which will be a 6 x 150kW CCS plugs with a single Level 2 for legacy cars. And just 2 miles from work. The Tesla SC is 4 miles from work. Nice to see EA is building out its network

Can't quite figure out the setup. There are three towers, each with 2 x 150 kW CCS plugs but it looks like parking for 4 but maybe they are going to use more of the parking lot a full seven can charge at once.

https://imgur.com/QLYPkWw
https://imgur.com/D2oOOaw

EA map shows six more stations scheduled for PDX Metro. Audi/Porsche/VW are coming out with a lot of EVs in 2020 and EA, like Tesla before it, is building out the charging network ahead of time.

Great news for EV's everywhere.

SamO | 10 November 2019

$1.52/kWh. No thanks. This is a VW shitshow/scam.

Please try and shill harder.

FISHEV | 10 November 2019

Pricing at the 150kW CCS for 75kWh is $30
Pricing at 75 kWh for Tesla is $21.

More than Tesla but EA is setup to make a profit while Tesla is not plus Tesla rolled all the initial construction costs into startup capital budget.. I suspect if/when Tesla decides to make money on the chargers, the prices will equalize.

EA price works out to $0.10 a mile energy costs for the Tesla
Subaru was $0.13 for fuel.

Keeps the EV's cheaper to operate and with a network as big as Teslas, as convenient which is probably more important to EV adoption

SamO | 10 November 2019

Wrong again.

Tesla controls production and storage of electricity and will be driving electricity prices down.

That’s the beauty of controlling your ecosystem instead of being a continuing criminal enterprise like VAG.

"Tesla controls production and storage of electricity and will be driving electricity prices down."SamO

Tesla is not an energy producer. Many of it's customers are energy producers though. Electricity prices are going up as there's a huge capital expense converting to wind and solar, building the big and small energy storage units that make solar/wind soul source work, some purchased from Tesla. As Musk notes, a massive build out is needed which is going to add to electric costs.

EA is part of the solution, attacks on EA are the problem.

TeslaTap.com | 10 November 2019

Tesla is part of the solution, attacks on Tesla are the problem.

If A then B. Many Tesla fans here are not on board with EV adoption as evidenced by the attacks on the build out of biggest public EV charging network in the US.

Earl and Nagin ... | 10 November 2019

Can you say "The EV Project"? What about all of the other aborted attempts by the government to get EVs on the road and charging infrastructure.
They discourage EVs more than encouraging them.
Tesla is the only hope we have seen for EV adoption. The other companies are realizing that they have to make EVs, not because of lame laws 'mandating' them, subsidizing them, or forcing them to do so as penance for illegal activities. Its because Tesla is proving it can be done and threatening them in the showroom and on the track.
While I wish that EVgo and EA would work. I just can't and don't see them doing it.

"They discourage EVs more than encouraging them."EandN

EA is encouraging EV adoption big time. Amusing to see Teals uber fans extol the Tesla SC network as the difference making that sets Tesla apart but then freak out when EA starts building out an similar network.

If we want EV's to succeed, EA has to succeed.

SamO | 10 November 2019

Electricity prices are dropping. Garbage in garbage out. No wonder you get it wrong so often.

Receipts:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/can-the-price-of-rooftop-solar-keep-fal...

Daisy the Road ... | 10 November 2019

How would I charge my MS at an EA site. I mean specifics:
Which cable type?
Which adapter?
What charging rate?
Can I find out how many (of my) slots are available?
Cost?
Cost is the least thing i worry about, since EA would be a stop gap measure for some part of the US with few SCs, like SE Utah. I do, however feel sorry for non-Tesla owners, locked out of the SC network. Out of the 8 or so tries at nonSC charging, I was only successful once. Broken cables, no power, unreadable displays, blocked stalls, corporate chargers mis-listed as public, transaction declined, etc. Awful.

vswendsen | 11 November 2019

There is no question that charging at an EA station isn't cheap. But neither is Evgo. On the east coast (I live in NC) EA has built out a charging network that is second only to Tesla. Evgo and Greeenlots do not even come close to what EA has done. Greenlots is by far the cheapest to charge at but they are also the worst at maintaining their network. Downtime at a Greenlots DCFC can often be measured in months and a few cases, years. Like most here I am spoiled by the SC network. It is well built out, fast and cheap. But for people with non-Tesla EVs the only alternative they have to using the EA network in many areas is to use a hybrid of some sorts or a pure ICE. Competition can help bring down the price of charging. And right now the EA network has very little competition for non-Tesla EV charging.

FISHEV | 11 November 2019

"How would I charge my MS at an EA site."@DaisytheRoad

You would have to wait for the CCS adapter that Tesla sells for S and X;s in EU. Same as Model 3 owners. Tesla SC's are CCS in EU and all the new fast charging EV's (Audi's, Hyunadai's, Kia's, Porsche, Bolt) are all CCS.

The older EA's have a Chademo for the older tech EV'ers to use (Leaf, Tesla) and that's not too bad at 50kW/200mph.

Tesla promised the CCS adapter for the Model 3 in 2019 so hopefully they are sticking to that promise. Chademo upgrade for Teslas was just a few months ago.

FISHEV | 11 November 2019

"But for people with non-Tesla EVs the only alternative they have to using the EA network in many areas is to use a hybrid of some sorts or a pure ICE."@vswendsen

And for Tesla owners who don't have home or work charging. With winter coming, range dropping, it's nice to have more alternatives to get a charge.

I'm always paying less than gasoline prices at EA and EVgo.

Earl and Nagin ... | 11 November 2019

@Fish,
You are a rookie, you haven't seen much in your few days on the job.
Everything I see about EA is actually looking worse and more unsustainable than the DoE's "The EV Project" unless someone finds some way to force some sort of reasonable service quality.
It is also a very tough business model since the product (electricity) is cheap but the infrastructure (high power infrastructure) is expensive.
People will grouse over the price when that includes the expensive equipment that, even at a $1/session, will take a long time to recover.
Assume about $50K per station plus as much for installation and equipment.

SamO | 11 November 2019

The last time Tesla disclosed costs, infrastructure cost was $26,000/stall.

SamO | 11 November 2019

15,000 stalls x $25,000/stall = $375M

Should be easy for EA to catch up with their deep pockets.

But they can’t and won’t.

jordanrichard | 11 November 2019

FISHEV, perhaps I have been spoiled by the variety of locations that Tesla puts it chargers at, but from what I have seen/read, damn near every EA site is in a Walmart parking lot. On a road trip, I would get seriously sick of the “fine cuisine” available at Walmart. Also boasting the number of EA locations is seriously disingenuous because at each EA location, not all of the stalls are DC fast charging.

As for the pricing of the EA chargers goes, I and others have been saying this ever since the EA network was announced and that is they would make it confusing and expensive (profit driven), and that will discourage people from buying EVs from traditional car makers, when their respective EVs don’t sell, will raise their hands and say, “.....we tried, but there is just no demand”.

andy.connor.e | 11 November 2019

A company spending money that doesnt result in more money? Blasphemy!

Daisy the Road ... | 11 November 2019

Also, pricing by the minute is nuts. I want to buy KWH and speed. This policy encourages them to slow down service. Ive never seen a crowded EA site picture. In fact, I'm not sure I've seen more than one car at an EA siite. If they wanted to compete, there would be creativity and experimentation on the pricing model. For example, cheaper power at 4AM.

These people trying to charge per minute use and not by how much you use is a stupid business model. You're not being metered for what you're using. Parking meters that charge you a percent of what you spent while you were parked there.

All i know is that some states require that you are not charged per energy use but charged per minute. I think thats a legislative issue that we should otherwise be trying to get reversed.

MTF16 | 11 November 2019

Not sure why people hate more charging infrastructure even if they can be expensive. I do hope tesla release inexpensive CCS adapters. I guess the peak power will be limited due to heat/cooling issues. Perhaps they decide that this will affect owner experience...

Businesses are free to do whatever they want despite my opinion of their methods.

TeslaTap.com | 11 November 2019

I don't think anyone hates more charging infrastructure, but doing it in a misleading way is annoying at best. Lots of claims that really are not going to work as well as they imply. I expect a lot of angry customers.

For example, all the hype about 350 kWh charging (and the pricing levels for it) and you find in your Model 3, you only get 122 kWh. That's less than half that of a V3 Supercharger and about 1/3 of the "350 kWh" rate promoted. It then takes 3 times longer than one might think it should.

kWh ≠ kW

FISHEV | 12 November 2019

"damn near every EA site is in a Walmart parking lot."@jordanrichard

The Tesla SC's here favor Fred Meyers parking lot. It works. Everybody walks into Freds to the Starbucks and some shopping. I bet Fred's makes a lot of money off of busy SC's. Same for Walmart with the new ones being super markets. Usually all are in shopping centers with lots of other conveniences.

PrescottRichard | 12 November 2019

Sam O- what did you mean by Tesla being an energy producer as well? Solar & battery storage at the SCs? That would be a 3rd leg of the stool (so to speak) to keep Tesla cars running on renewable and consistently priced energy.

EA is the result of the VW diesel scandal right? Was part of that settlement that EA can’t be ‘for profit’?

reed_lewis | 12 November 2019

There are areas where there is no Super Charger for use. Two of them are Nashua, NH and New London, CT. There are other solutions there (level 2 and CHAdeMO) which can be used in the Tesla with the appropriate adapters. I seriously dislike when anyone posts the following things:

1. There was a super charger right across the street where I slept.(implying that super chargers are everywhere) Good for you, but there are areas where that is not the case.

2. Non Tesla super chargers are too expensive. Well, if it is the difference between charging at level 2, and using a CHAdeMO at 50 kW, I will use the CHAdeMO

3. Super Chargers are never full. I was in the LA area, and beg to differ.

Look, the best charging method is the one that works for you right now. There is no one size fits all method.

jordanrichard | 12 November 2019

FISHEV, ummm I have been up and down the east coast and have never seen a Fred Meyers store. What is a Fred Myers? Actually that is beside my point and that is EA chargers across the country are at Walmarts. If I were on a road trip, that would get tiring real quick.

Uncle Paul | 12 November 2019

More fast chargers, of any kind, are most welcome to the Tesla community.

We will continue to choose Superchargers first, because they are lower cost and fast. Only if a Supercharger is not convenient, will we move to an alternative charging program that is slower and more expensive.

Often, even waiting in a Supercharger line will still be faster than an alternative, slower charger with no line.

TabascoGuy | 12 November 2019

@jordan, he's talking about Meijer. It's a supermarket chain based here in Michigan. They've already got superchargers at some of their locations. I'm not sure how many EA chargers they have, if any.

TabascoGuy | 12 November 2019

My bad, he said "Tesla SC's here favor Fred Meyers parking lot." I thought he was talking about EA chargers.

Either way, no one calls those stores "Fred's".

vswendsen | 12 November 2019

Fred Meyer is the name of a grocery store chain.

jordanrichard | 12 November 2019

Ok, it’s a grocery store chain. Saying that Tesla “favors” this local grocery store chain is not equivalent to EA putting most if not all of their chargers at Walmarts across the country.

SamO | 13 November 2019

Distraction trolling works again

TabascoGuy | 13 November 2019

How many guys named Fred own grocery store chains? Who knew ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

andy.connor.e | 13 November 2019

Who do you think has to pay for the charger installation? Walmart has plenty of money to burn.

kaffine | 13 November 2019

andy.connor.e In the case of EA that would be VW by court order.