Forums

Model 3 SR+ In The Snow

Model 3 SR+ In The Snow

We had Snow in NYC yesterday. I had to go out after 5pm. I took the Model 3 to the mall parking lot and GOT ON the car a little. I am happy to say, I am VERY IMPRESSED with how she handled in the snow. There was about 2 inches of slushy snow. I made some deliberate hard turns from a dead stop and while moving. A few things I noticed and was happy with.
1. Very minimal skid when mashing the pedal with the wheels turned from a dead stop.
2. Very minimal skid when mashing the pedal with wheel turned while moving.
3. Zero Skidding while slamming on the brakes.
4. The regen braking did an exceptional job coming out of any type of skid. Releasing the gas pedal instantly put me in Regen mode and out of any possible skid.

The snow storm made me even happier that I own the greatest car ever built!!!

carletoncurtis | 3 December 2019

RWD or AWD?

lbowroom | 3 December 2019

SR+ is RWD

Dofpic | 3 December 2019

I will be reporting on mine soon as she arrives this Saturday and where I live we get 300 inches of snow a year and i have a steep driveway. If it handles anything like my Model S or X she will do great as they are fantastic in snow.

Pg3ibew | 4 December 2019

The SR+ is rear wheel drive. It handled way way better than any car I have ever driven. I was impressed.

Magic 8 Ball | 4 December 2019

Having fun driving in snow is not allowed, you are a snobby Tesla owner now.

rdh37 | 4 December 2019

Yes, almost looking forward to snow to see how my AWD handles it, almost. First time I drove my 3 in a torrential downpour over the summer it handled better than my former AWD SUV. I was truly impressed. Hoping to be equally impressed in the snow. Have a nice day.

@Magic, damn Tesla!!!!

aperfectecho | 4 December 2019

Snow performance in my LR AWD is excellent (stock tires). Was very impressed last winter. Granted, not a lot of snow (as compared to NE) but still the car handled beautifully

@aperfect, I also have stock tires. They performed excellently

RedPillSucks | 4 December 2019

@Pg3ibew did you have slip-start turned on? Were you in chill mode or standard. Sorry, I've got an AWD LR so I don't know if the settings match up.

wayne | 4 December 2019

I use chill mode and low regenerative braking when extremely slippery. Never tried skip-start because I’ve never gotten stuck.

Tronguy | 4 December 2019

Drove my M3 LR RWD through winter last year, with stock all-season tires, in NJ (mid-Atlantic, back and forth between Boston & DC as well). No problems. It's as least as good as the Prius, which was a good as my '71 Beetle back in the day. (Which car, at the time, was considered a superior snow car, what with the weight over the driven wheels.)

Pg3ibew | 5 December 2019

@Red. I keep the car in Chill mode all the time. And I had the strongest regen on. Like usual.
I have to be honest, I dont k ow if my car has SLIP start. I would have to check.

M3D | 5 December 2019

@Red I took my LR AWD out for my first snow experience. I find that the back end kicks out pretty easily when accelerating if you don't have it in chill mode. And, the car is heavy, heavier than my previous Audi A6 so I will need to respect that ice is ice and be careful. Only this one trip out in snow, but I set up a snow version of my profile to enable chill and low regen, that seems to do wonders to making the car behave better. I would also stay away from using autopilot on bad roads for many reasons. All of this is info I picked up reading other posts, but it was different to get out and "feel" it.