Forums

Unplugging car without unlocking door

Unplugging car without unlocking door

I've always had to unlock a door when I'm charging at home to remove the charging cable. I've just noticed I can now remove the plug by holding the button in on the charging cable and the car unlocks itself if I have my phone on me. When did they patch this in? This has seemed so crazy since I've owned the car.
Now I hope they patch in the ability to hop out of the car to mail a letter, etc. for a few seconds without having to hit the brake again to turn the car on again.

jallred | 8 December 2019

You can also touch drivers side rear door handle. Especially helpful if you are using an adapter.

jfaubl | 8 December 2019

So I tried to open the charging port by holding the button on the cable without opening a door and it doesn't work. Only works when unplugging without having to open a door first.

jfaubl | 8 December 2019

I don't seem to have the touch to not do a full door unlock. But this won't be a problem anymore, at least when unplugging.
Sound like such a first world problem when i read my post. :)

Rear handle touch unlocks charger port without unlocking door.

rpc_in_va | 8 December 2019

I believe the car just needs to be awake and either unlocked or in range of your phone in order to unplug with the button. Pushing a door handle wakes the car up.

andy | 8 December 2019

Is this a difference between CCS vehicles and others? I just unlock my type 2 cable via my phone app. Not aware of any buttons.

Not pushing, touching.

jamilworm | 8 December 2019

For those who say a handle "touch" unlocks it, do you mean just a touch or actually pushing it in? I've always had to push in a door handle to wake up the car and then unlock the cable. If I make it a quick push and I'm lucky the car will wake up without the door actually opening.

I just went out to the garage to try a few things out. Touching the front and rear door handle without pushing them in do not wake up the car or unlock the charge cable. Just pressing the button on the charge plug doesn't unlock it, and holding the button down for 10 seconds still didn't unlock it.

I have 2019.36.2.4, so maybe OP has a newer software version that adds easier unlocking.

Oh, by the way my car is not actively charging. I wonder if when the car is actually charging then maybe it stays awake and a handle touch or cable button long push might unlock the port.

coselectric | 8 December 2019

I just tried unplugging the cable for the first time this morning, still needed to touch the rear handle to wake the car up first. Firmware 36.2.4.

I remove my j1772 adapter almost daily with the following technique. I have my phone in pocket. I push lever to remove charger from adapter. Adapter stays in car. I hang the charger. I walk back to car. Touch rear door handle and a second later remove adapter. Then push front door handle to unlock car and get in.

Dang, missed the part about trying a long push. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Oh yeah, and by "touch", I actually have to push the handle in - but just a little, not far enough to actually unlatch the door. I guess the switch in the door senses multiple positions, interesting.

I don’t move the handle at all. I actually swipe across it from top to bottom.

Joshan | 8 December 2019

the handle is just "Waking" the car. The car cannot be asleep. App will accomplish the same, trunk open etc.

Could be that a sleeping car ignored handle touch. Mine is rarely sleeping because it was charging.

Joshan | 8 December 2019

sleeping car in my experience requires more than a touch on handle. I have to push the handle in about half way. It does not open or unlock the door, just wakes the car.

If the car is awake I can unplug without touching the car at all. I.E. I connect to the car with the app just before I try to unplug.

Adapters don’t come out just because the car is awake. Door can be open and adapter stays tight. If when you unplug the charger you pull the adapter at that moment then you can get adapter with charger. If you miss it by a partial second you will have a locked in adapter.

Joshan | 8 December 2019

sorry I missed the adapter part, was just speaking to charging in general. I will bow out :)

@Joshan, mine works the same as yours.

@jfaubl, which firmware version do you have? Can you also experiment a little more and report back? You got my hopes up that this was improved - not that it's a big deal the way it is, IMO. Is your experience repeatable? Is it possible that something else woke your car up before you removed the charging cable?

Sarah R | 8 December 2019

@jallred I use the J1772 adapter at home also. I don't have an issue with unlocking the charge port because I open the driver's door and put my purse in the car, then walk to the back and press the release button on the J1772 plug. As soon as the charge light turns blue I pull the whole thing, adapter and plug out of the charge port. I just leave the adapter on the plug.

I might need to buy another adapter just to keep in the car, but so far this works well for me!

@Sarah that works at one of the places that I charge. But at home and another client place the cable release happens by a little lever that releases it from the adapter. There is no button to tell the car it is releasing, it learns from the plug no longer being there.

I had struggled with it quite a bit. I'd pull off the charger and try to pull the adapter out. It wouldn't come. Then the door shuts on my adapter. Felt that I looked like a klutz.

But then I parked at the airport and I changed my mind. At the airport they have 2 chargers for 4 spots (chargers are in the center). They are L2 and J1772. The Tesla's all put the adapter in the port and you tell the attendant when you are coming back. They write it down and they make sure they rotate to you at some point.

When the attendant or another car owner removes your charger, you don't really want them to be able to remove your adapter. And that is the way it works. If you aren't there with the phone, the adapter won't come out, no matter what.

I want that if I am there with the phone and I remove the charger that the adapter gets unlocked for a minute.

I'll have to play with it some more to see how it works.

Sparky | 8 December 2019

If you turn on the climate controls from the phone app prior to approaching the car you can just push the charge cable button and remove it.

bp | 8 December 2019

Just to confirm: if your car is asleep and the HPWC is plugged in and locked, you can NOT wake the car by pushing the HPWC button, nor by just touching a door handle. You must wake the car either by pushing on the door handle (at least enough to wake it), or using the app to wake the car first. I verified this myself today with my May ‘19 on 2019.36.2.4.

I agree with the OP that it would be convenient to be able to unlock and withdraw the charging cable without having to use a door handle or app first, but not sure if it’s technologically possible as the car would probably have to remain awake when on land power then.

For those of you who believe you can wake your car to withdraw the charger cord just by pressing the button on the HPWC, your car is probably already awake for sentry, smart summon, or recent app use.

@bp - good recap. I would just add one more condition to your list at the end: if the car is still charging then it seems to remain awake.

bp | 8 December 2019

Yes, it’s awake throughout the charging cycle, and the “T” will be illuminated in that case.

@BP you're probably right re: app use. I might add "schedule departure" to that list. But yes, my phone is always on my person when I unplug the car.

jfaubl | 8 December 2019

Well now, I wonder if the car just happened to be awake when I unplugged. I'm on 36.2.4. I will have to experiment more. It would be nice if we could just have that ability in our home location.

mkapras | 9 December 2019

@jfaubl - Why would anyone be logging in to the Tesla forum to post third world problems? ;-)

terminator9 | 9 December 2019

Tesla could software patch it in a way that the "receiver" that listens to the button push is always awake if the charging cable is plugged in. The power draw should be negligible since its already receiving power from the charge cable. When it detects a button press, it would wake the car up and then do that it does today.

terminator9 | 9 December 2019

assuming you got the phone on you when you press the button similar to the door handle.

RoadDevil | 9 December 2019

I never had to touch anything on the car when unplug the cable. Assume the the phone is connected , on Tesla supercharger or HWC, I just pushed the button on the plug, after hearing clicking sound, I can pull the plug. When using J1172 adapter, just push the hatch release button, again, after hearing the sound, it is ready for removing. It is alway like that since I owned the car about 2 years ago.

jfaubl | 12 December 2019

So it has worked every day this week. Maybe it has worked for a while, but until I noticed it, I would hold the button down and it would not unlock.
I did test having the app closed on my phone. It still worked.