Forums

Ownership Transfer; Key Fob No Longer Works; Has New 3v Panisonic CR2354

Ownership Transfer; Key Fob No Longer Works; Has New 3v Panisonic CR2354

Just bought a used Model X. Drove it for a week and the key fob worked fine; auto present worked fine for a week. Just received ownership transfer confirmation email and am able to log into the app and unlock the Model X via the app, but the key fob is no longer recognized. Holding down the main key fob button for 5 seconds unlocks the car. Replaced the 3v Panisonic CR2354 battery with a brand new batter with a confirmed charge of 3 volts. Still no joy.

Seems like an admin setting in the cloud needs to be set ... or key fob re-paired?

Would a Factory Reset fix this issue?

lilbean | 14 December 2019

A factory reset couldn’t hurt but I would swing by a service center to remedy this. If the battery is bad, there is usually a notification on the screen in the car.

TeslaTap.com | 17 December 2019

If holding down the key fob button works, it is still paired. Do you have both key fobs or only one? If both, does one work and the other not? Transfer of ownership should have zero effect on the fobs working. I've transferred one car to another person without any hickups, but that was a few years ago.

The pairing process is not very quick when service adds a new key. I had that done for a damaged fob, and it took 45 minutes along with direct connection to the car with the tech's laptop.