Forums

Group summary for vehicle faults/insufficiencies

Group summary for vehicle faults/insufficiencies

1. Whistling noise while driving
2. Significant voice command issues/not receptive to our voice
3. Key fob—poor design
4. Middle row of seats—bulky and rather immobile
5. Query regarding why vehicle conducted sudden deceleration while on full self drive
6. Random lights issue. Why should software result in aberrant lights. That makes no sense in modern software era. Inappropriate if there is truly no malfunction issue.
7. Full self drive. Numerous was told that by November/December 2019, the car would drive in surface streets. This resulted in acquiring two teslas, given this marketing promise. Sadly, this is a broken promise.

100k car should have none of these issues. It is rather unseemly. This is inappropriate.

I am trying to see how other folks feel about the issues they’ve had with their vehicle. It is really inappropriate to have any of these issues for the price provided.

freemarket | 10 January 2020

I thought Dr. Bighorn laid it out for you already. Not all are cut out to be early adopters.

If you had bought one of the 5,000 Jaguar or Audi produced electrics from 2019, you’d likely be having an even worse experience and buyers remorse beyond compare.

I do like your tone much better in this thread.

Mrotr565 | 10 January 2020

I like your tone as well.

TeslaTap.com | 11 January 2020

@Ssaleh - Some of your issues valid. Did you not test drive the car? Seems like you would have noticed at least 2, 3 and 4. #2 Voice has worked well for me, but it could be it doesn't work as well for some dialects or accents. Perhaps it will get better.

On #7 - FSD, Not sure where you heard this. There was the goal of being feature complete by the end of 2019 - this was an internal goal and is not a FSD release to the public. Tesla has been clear that FSD requires regulatory approval, which makes the release date very much unknown. They have released a few FSD style features that don't require regulatory approval like advanced summon.

While clearly FSD is taking Tesla far longer than anyone likes, it's also bleeding edge technology. No other car offers FSD that you can purchase today. It's not like you can buy a BMW with FSD as an alternative. Still, I can understand your frustration. We all wish FSD was hear sooner than later.

Mrotr565 | 11 January 2020

In general, and respectfully, I disagree with your points. Test drive was discordant with how my voice is now being appreciated.
Key fob mal-design is not fully grasped during a test drive.
Middle row is an issue specific to this car and it doesn’t slide very well.

Tesla very much insinuated that surface street function would be implemented by November/December 2019.

This has not been a proper experience.

Mrotr565 | 11 January 2020

Again, so much money spent on a brand new car. Way way too many issues for the amount we spent. This is not proper and fuels how I feel.

mbp11 | 11 January 2020

I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment with the car and of all of these issues. I own a July 2018 Model X 100D and I have had minimal problems compared to you. I purchased the FSD and my version had the 2.5 version hardware, and I got the cold weather options and the 5 seat configuration. I was scared s*****less when I first bought it, it was a lot of money and I had range anxiety, girlfriend disapproval and was worried about what people would think of me driving a $115 car.... and fearful of damaging the car. Barely got it into my garage and I drove it very gingerly and parked away from other cars. Still I gradually got used to it and it is quite a learning curve, understanding the limitations of the beta software, and learning how I could best use the tools that the car gave me. And now I love it.
I have had glitches occasionally and I worked with the local service center in Dublin California and got things fixed up. I learned how to reboot the computers and reconfigure the windows and FWDs and the other CPUs in the car... just like my stupid Macbook pro. Most problems when away with a reboot, and if they did not, I went to the service center, I just dropped in, and they talked to the car and pushed out a new software update and it was waiting for me when I got home.

I have wind noise on the driver's side window but I adjust the window slightly and it goes away. Had some trim put back together with a new clip, the FWDs readjusted for a wear spot, a safety check and for my complaints of some oscillation of the navigate on autopilot software, I got the upgrade FSD 3.0 hardware installed.

And every 3-4 weeks I get new software installed, I have dog mode that my girlfriend now loves for her beagle, camp mode, I have solved the dripping FWD in wet weather with a set of EBAY adhesive bumpers that run down on top of the car next to both doors and direct water down the back. I have durable mats for the front and back seats, a dash mat, a silicone sleeve for my key fob, and new games and enhanced video on my web browser. The Easter Eggs all of some clues to items of cultural significance and I love tracking them down and solving the mystery of why they are there. I love the holiday show, the acceleration, the ability to take me through SF Bay Area traffic, and to realize I own a supercar in disguise. But this appeals to me, I like being an early adopter, solving problems and understanding the software and hardware. I like not using gasoline on my commuting and hopefully doing my part slowing down global warming.

I am not sure if there is anything I can do to help you or make you feel better. The purpose of these forums, in my opinion, is to share experiences and problems and seek advice and solutions. I don't think it is a good way to communicate to Tesla, even though this is on their web site. They may be listening, maybe not. I have gotten a lot of good ideas from others posting on this forum, and have been able to help others in turn, I hope. There are links here to other Tesla web sites that have information and stories from others.

Of course, this is a pioneering and new car company, it is not a Mercedes or Honda or Audi or Lexus auto company. They are a highly successful electric car and technology company and have made revolutionary changes to the car industry, The have worldwide charging networks, they have revolutionary battery technology that can drive their cars further than any other manufacturer, they have over the air software updates to fix problems and give new capability to their cars, they are the safest cars on the market (5 star safety rating) and they can outrun other supercars (at least from 0-60). So I don't mind the fit and finish issues, I think it will get better in time. My feeling is that when you purchase the car, you are investing in their global view of the future.

My advice is to keep on working to solving the problems that you have, work politely with the local service center, give them a chance to fix the electrical and software issues, document and take the car back in a polite and friendly manner. You will get more help with a pleasant attitude. They will want to fix those problems that they can fix. Appreciate the wonderful car that you do have. And if you are unhappy after trying, then look up and invoke your state's lemon law and have the defective car returned. I hope you don't, I hope you can solve the problems that you have, and wait for better performance in the future.

Mike P

milesbb | 17 January 2020

"Not all are cut out to be early adopters."

I think this sums up my situation, I do my homework so have not pulled the trigger. I am fascinated by Tech that Tesla brings to market. As an EE I think I should be driving an electric car. But I want a car that I just works without nagging issues. Tesla service is a 100 miles and a ferry ride away. All day to drop off and all day to pick up, yes I know about ranger service that could make this issue much smaller. Honda dealer is 4 miles away, they always get me in for my oil changes in a day or two, always answer the phone immediately, I have no other service needs with the Honda. I strongly believe Tesla should have the right to sell directly to the public in all states, I believe in a free market. But it does seem Tesla's reported limited access to a human to help with issues is a significant downgrade from what most dealerships provide. Companies that use menu driven phone support that never allow you to get to a human drive me crazy. It never seems like the options provided address the issues I have.

I am an aging driver, I look to future self driving cars to provide me with safe mobility. Tesla seems to lead in this area. I continue to monitor the development of FSD. When Tesla can provide irritation free self driving I am sure I will jump in. Sending my car to the service center on it's own is the ultimate luxury.

Bighorn | 17 January 2020

@miles
Self awareness is good. A counterpoint to the easy Honda oil changes is my Model 3. I picked it up 17 months ago and it's never been back to service or had any maintenance whatsoever other than a second set of tires. And I drive--40k miles the first year. Seeing a skewed sample online doesn't allow people to see the number of trouble free cars so much. I also have a 6.5 year old Model S that two rangers came to work on yesterday--1500 mile round trip and I'm 183k miles beyond my 100,000 mile extended warranty.

andrea.dimaio | 17 January 2020

I had placed an order for a MX LR at the end of December and cancelled it yesterday. Reports of quality and service issues have played a role, but my experience has been bad from the outset, with a sales person who did not care, and lack of transparency (and incorrect information) about lease costs on the Tesla web site. Buying a 100K+ car should be a hassle free experience, as much as driving it.

BestX | 17 January 2020

Andrea D - We all make our own choices ofcourse. I will just say this, having owned 2 Tesla's - you have no idea what you are missing. Yes, sales experience matters but will you ever have to deal with them again once you drive away? Ditto re sorting out lease costs, etc. I have owned Porsche, Merc, BMW and still own (but never drive) a high end Lexus LX. Nothing comes close to the Tesla driving experience.

Bighorn | 17 January 2020

I’ve never needed a Tesla “sales person.” I’ll never need another sales person. Takes less than two minutes to order a car on your phone and no Scotchguard hard sell. Super liberating. Eclipsed all our other cars—Volvo, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc, etc

aaronleider | 17 January 2020

I had an early S (2013) sold it and bought a 2016 S. My son has a 2019 3 (no service issues at all. On december 27th 2019, we took delivery of our 2020 X. What a fantastic vehicle! Yes the autopilot isn't as smooth as my 16 yet and the Voice control is lacking, but I'm confident it will improve over a time. The new cream interior is beautiful!

aaronleider | 17 January 2020

I had an early S (2013) sold it and bought a 2016 S. My son has a 2019 3 (no service issues at all). On december 27th 2019, we took delivery of our 2020 X. What a fantastic vehicle! Yes the autopilot isn't as smooth as my 16 yet and the Voice control is lacking, but I'm confident it will improve over a time. The new cream interior is beautiful!

vitaman | 17 January 2020

"Andrea D - We all make our own choices ofcourse. I will just say this, having owned 2 Tesla's - you have no idea what you are missing. Yes, sales experience matters but will you ever have to deal with them again once you drive away? Ditto re sorting out lease costs, etc. I have owned Porsche, Merc, BMW and still own (but never drive) a high end Lexus LX. Nothing comes close to the Tesla driving experience."
My exact experience!!
Except I have owned 3 Teslas and do not currently own a Lexus.

Mrotr565 | 21 January 2020

Amazing prescience found at certified Tesla body shop.

Was told when I went to this body shop that a particular part for my spoiler may arrive damaged and so service may take longer than expected.

They told me they wouldn’t schedule me in until they saw and made sure there were no damaged parts.

Had a vacation planned and had wanted to go with fixed spoiler.

Lo and Behold!!!! Certified body shop, certified by Tesla, tells me that the spoiler arrived damaged!!!! Unbelievable foresight. I was so impressed by how they knew that the part would be damaged on arrival. So they called me and told me that they had to order the part again. And that this time, they are ok scheduling me in. Amazing. Just unbelievable. Because, see, this time there is no concern about a spoiler sent from Tesla being damaged.

I’ve had enough of this car, service, staff, third party whatever, everything. Everything about this company from the lease of our first mode 3 to the purchase of this model X has been mired in sheer idiocy. This is a horrible car and an indecent experience.

Note: please wait for them to fix my spoiler prior to anything else.

dynabe | 21 January 2020

Dear OP and others that are interested,
Sames on all issues including:
Broken Ball Joints
Dryrotted Seals
"Droid" treatment - - I am human.
Model X is $100,000 maintenance nightmare
I hear better things from 3, and S customers than X.
@BestX -- "you have no idea what you are missing"= Multiple trips to the service center, out of pocket expenses in the thousands, and the evolution of computerizing the car buying experience.
My 2017 X is a Guinea Pig -- 100k Guinea Pig

Damn it Elon. You and your damn Mars dreams. I just want to get to work and back without any hiccups. That’s it. Dude. I’m telling you. There is nothing there on Mars. Just focus on the Model X. Or first work on making humanity a more coherent entity.

My model x has a whistling noise. are you going to be able to seal the windows and doors of your spaceship shut!

Am I going to be able to bring the spaceship to the local Tesla shop and ask them to seal the windows after I return from my space trip?

Damn it Elon. You and your damn Mars dreams. I just want to get to work and back without any hiccups. That’s it. Dude. I’m telling you. There is nothing there on Mars. Just focus on the Model X. Or first work on making humanity a more coherent entity.

My model x has a whistling noise. are you going to be able to seal the windows and doors of your spaceship shut!

Am I going to be able to bring the spaceship to the local Tesla shop and ask them to seal the windows after I return from my space trip?