Forums

Key card is required to start

Key card is required to start

I have to use Tesla app to unlock and have to use key card to start. Firmare V is 2019.40.50.7 and it was manufactured in 9/2018. The problem started happening just recently.
Is there a remedy?

lilbean | 10 January 2020

Fob

lbowroom | 10 January 2020

turn off your Bluetooth, then turn it back on. That should do it. If not, uninstall app and reinstall it.

If that doesn't do it, you can uninstall the phone key from the car and re-add it.

Magic 8 Ball | 10 January 2020

Reboot car
Reboot phone
Check for app update
Check bluetooth settings
Unpair and then pair phone
Delete profile and create new profile

Are a few things to do and check into as a start.

Ninjaed by l'room.

And people say we're not helpful

Name names : )

howard | 10 January 2020

Just can’t believe all the posts about the phone as key not working properly. Wow could it be a real problem? M8B thanks for posting the help. I was getting tired of it.

"...all the posts..."

I am tired of "all" the attempts to blow up minor easily corrected hiccups, that are often user error, into something. The key card worked, bluetooth connections and phone settings matter and cannot be controlled by Tesla so quit whining about nothingburgers @howard.

A few reports from anonymous people on the web do not really represent the experiences of over 500,000 to elevate it status of "real problem" .

Helping is what some of attempt to do unlike those that constantly complain about Tesla and the car.

howard | 10 January 2020

Thank you anyway.

My pleasure.

davidmenges | 10 January 2020

My iPhone quit unlocking car unless I launched app; wife’s identical phone worked. Phone indicated no Bluetooth connection. Tried turning off/on Bluetooth and deleting/recreating phone as key, nope. Discovered my phone listed twice as a key, fixed, nope. Went to Tesla upper right screen’s Bluetooth icon, unpaired and repaired my phone - yep.

jherna2148 | 10 January 2020

Thank you very much for all suggestions, those of us that are not technically savvy are highly appreciative. Don't let criticism or whiners hesitate to help.

pct45 | 10 January 2020

I was having the same issues and made one settings change on iPhone that seems to be working. (Two weeks now, no issues.).

Under settings, go to tesla app and check location settings. Mine was set to “while using app”. I changed to “Always”. Not saying that’s definitely the answer, but it’s been working so far.

Yes, must be set to always. Otherwise you have to open the app just like the setting implies.

sunvin29 | 10 January 2020

Set location services to "Always" for phone to work like a key. If you keep the location services setting to "While in Use" then come close to the car and open the app then it worked. To cut the hassle and inconvenience, just keeping it to "Always" setting gives a better experience. The key card is a nightmare to use at times as it doesn't scan or recognize quickly and another thing i learnt recently is the key card reader is only* on drivers side - really? you can have a camera on both pillars, was that difficult to program to get it work on passenger side pillar. In fact they could have allowed the key card to read from any cameras (rear/side/front lol etc).