Forums

AM Radio

AM Radio

I saw someone in a different thread ask about AM Radio.
You can easily access AM Radio through the HD channels of FM. Most, if not all, AM stations have an FM affiliate. When you click on the FM station, click through their HD stations until you find their AM affiliate. Then add it as a Favorite.

In NYC, 102.7 FM and 1010 WINS AM are affiliates. Easy to find. I like 1010 WINS for traffic reposrts when I am in traffic.

Scrannel | 15 January 2020

Thanks -- noted!

charles.a.braun | 15 January 2020

That is great unless you are trying to listen to an AM station a couple hundred miles away or even a thousand miles away (at night). Or if you are trying to listen to even a local AM station on their FM simulcast but there are mountains in the way.

Pg3ibew | 15 January 2020

@charles, in those circumstances, can a regular car get AM stations??

bp | 15 January 2020

This explains some of the differences in range between AM and FM:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-F-M-radio-waves-have-less-range-than-A-M-ra...

bjrosen | 15 January 2020

Use Tunein Radio, stream any radio station from anywhere

charles.a.braun | 15 January 2020

@Pg3ibew - Yes
@bjrosen - Not any. Many, but far from all.

RichardKJ | 15 January 2020

"Use Tunein Radio, stream any radio station from anywhere"

Make that many radio stations. All CBS radio stations were pulled off TuneIn last year in favor of radio.com. I'm sure there are others that do not have agreements with TuneIn as well.

dkm2002 | 15 January 2020

The streaming radio does not let you listen to the traffic radio stations along major highways here in Florida.

TeslaTony310 | 15 January 2020

As stated above, you can use TuneIn Radio, or alternatively, iHeart Radio to find an AM station broadcasting in HD.

rxlawdude | 15 January 2020

All the arguments against an AM tuner are, in my view, ill informed. @mexiken and @ bjrosen, you are greatly mistaken about what's available on TuneIn. TuneIn carries no CBS stations, as mentioned above. TuneIn carries no traffic and information stations ("TUNE TO 1580 AM WHEN FLASHING").

And, please explain how TuneIn or iHeartradio work when you're out of cellular coverage.

Pg3ibew | 15 January 2020

Forget all the tune in stuff. Find the FM HD station and hit it until you get the AM affiliate. Simple.

Joshan | 15 January 2020

AM Radio is one of those things very few people use and to charge everyone for it did not make sense. Kind of like a spare tire, homelink and the 14-50 cable.

Earl and Nagin ... | 15 January 2020

@Pg3ibew,
Great thought except that the range of FM HD stations is only about half that of the primary FM station.
@Joshan is right. Most people live and spend all of their lives in high-density urban messes that are economically served by cellular and low-power FM substations carrying the AM content.
AM is most useful when you leave the middle of the metropolitan area where FM and cellular coverage are spotty.
Couple the small number of folks who would use it with the extreme cost of filtering out the EMI caused by electric drivetrain into the low-frequency AM signal and you see why Tesla has dropped AM from the Model 3.
I still don't like it since, being anti-social, I try to avoid spending all of my life in high-density urban messes -- but I cope.

bp | 15 January 2020

This thread exhibits a lack of comprehension of the difference between the content available only over AM, and the range/accessibility of the AM signal itself. Both are factors, and you can only partially solve the former with AM-over-FM or AM-over-cellular. You’re SOL on the latter.

I was initially sore over no AM (and no XM), but got over it quickly. If I cared, I’d just bring an AM radio with me.

It seems to me that as long as government agencies use it for status/emergency broadcasts, it belongs in vehicles.

AFAIK, Teslas (all now) and the BMW i3 are the only cars sold in the US without an AM tuner.

Joshan | 15 January 2020

so put one in your vehicle. AM radios are real cheap, so are 9-volt batteries.

Joshan | 15 January 2020

I actually find it amusing people think a AM radio call is a safety feature when in the middle of nowhere. But a spare tire is a luxury.

I find it amusing that those who don't care seem to be the most insulting louts.

Joshan | 15 January 2020

your the only one insulting people, so you must mean yourself /shrug.

Really @J? For someone who doesn't care about AM, you sure seem to be advocating that no one wants or needs it. You've done this ON EVERY THREAD about this topic. Odd.

Joshan | 15 January 2020

Please quote where I said that.... you may have to look really damn hard as I never have said that,

What I said is the amount of people that use it does not validate the costs associated with putting it into every vehicle. Tesla has made that quite clear. But hey, just make shit up... is that how you handle you law cases also?

"Tesla has made that quite clear."

Please provide a cite to where that is officially discussed. Or do you just make stuff up, too? :-)

Magic 8 Ball | 15 January 2020

Multiple hookups, get out the gaff.

Frank99 | 15 January 2020

Look, it’s pretty simple.
1. AM radio is useful and desirable
2. The receiver that Tesla bought to install in the car is certainly capable of AM, so the cost to provide AM radio would be measured, worst case, in single digit pennies.

So, why didn’t Tesla include an AM radio? Two possibilities:
1. Elon Musk was traumatized by an AM radio in his early life, so he harbors a deep resentment of AM radio and this is his attempt to hurt it.
2. The cost to make AM radio work well in the face of the high frequency electrical interference generated by the car just isn’t worth it.

My understanding us that they spent a LOT of effort in the early Model S says to suppress interference enough to make AM work. It’s possible that with the switch to the PM motor in the 3 that it simply wasn’t possible to do the same.

Varricks | 17 January 2020

Egad, how do I get my Conelrad stations?