Forums

Data for crash

Data for crash

My car was involved in a crash, where the steering may have frozen. I want to get the data for events just before. For last two weeks  I have been stone walled in my desire to obtain the information.
Is there any way to get data from servers.

jimglas | 21 January 2020

More FUD

andy.connor.e | 21 January 2020

This is living evidence that Tesla is making automakers shit their pants.

Magic 8 Ball | 21 January 2020

Your best bet is to consult with a lawyer, IMO.

andy.connor.e | 21 January 2020

Is BMW cringing over their delivery numbers yet?

kc10kevin | 21 January 2020

Sudden Unintended Acceleration as well? Want to add that to your list? Give me a break. People will look for any excuse in the world to blame anything else except themselves for causing a crash. It's called integrity. Try it someday.

LostInTx | 21 January 2020

You'll need a lawyer - and a quick head's up - you'll need a good one. Anything on the Tesla's servers will be viewed as exculpatory evidence and you won't get it. If you do get it, it'll only be because Tesla reviewed the data knows you were in the wrong.

lasik | 21 January 2020

Thankyou for all the advice. I really appreciate it. And for the people who want a break please take one and note I have not blamed anyone but just requested data. How does that affect integrity?

apodbdrs | 21 January 2020

Maybe Tesla has video of the interior cabin as well that will show what the driver was doing.

EVRider | 21 January 2020

@lasik: Tesla isn’t going to give you any data, but they might be able to diagnose your cars logs. Have you asked them about that? Do you have dashcam video of the accident? The video won’t help Tesla but you might need it.

derotam | 21 January 2020

What do you mean by the steering "froze"

The driver probably “froze”

The driver probably “froze”

Darin | 21 January 2020

Can you not pull them yourself?

https://edr.tesla.com/

stingray.don | 21 January 2020

The steering wheel actually locking up is virtually impossible. However, the loss of power steering might give the impression of the steering wheel locking up. I believe the power steering has redundancy (someone correct me if I’m wrong), making a functional failure extremely rare but not impossible. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can provide information on how Tesla’s power steering works.

TeslaTap.com | 21 January 2020

Yep, the current Model S/X and all Model 3 has redundant power steering motors and separate power lines for each motor. In the event of total failure, just like hydraulic power steering on ICE cars, it then reverts to the mechanical linkage - i.e. similar to a non-power steering car of years past.

The steering forces will be quite a bit higher like any car that doesn't have power steering. It may be harder too, as the steering wheels on non-power steering cars are often quite a bit larger and are geared so you have to turn the wheel more to get the same turning radius.

stingray.don | 21 January 2020

TeslaTap.com,

Thanks for clarifying. A power steering failure would definitely be a handful.

Bighorn | 21 January 2020

My friend’s new Mercedes Sprinter had an exploding power steering pump that led to about 100 miles of wrestling it out of the wilderness.

lasik | 21 January 2020

Dear Darin, Thanks. Initially we were told about that but than one of the service personnel said after jan 1, 2020 data is available from server. Car was totaled and in body shop. Will explore this again
@Stingray and TeslaTap- Thanks for the explanation.
@EVRider- how does one obtain dashcam video?

EVRider | 21 January 2020

@lasik: If you have to ask how to obtain dashcam video, you probably don’t have any. The dashcam only works if you put a properly configured disk drive (USB flash drive, microSD card, etc.) in one of the front USB ports, and that’s where the video is recorded. See the manual for details.