Forums

Failure to wake up in the morning

Failure to wake up in the morning

Occasionally, my M3 won’t wake up in the morning from the app (Tesla or Stats). That means I can’t preheat the car, or do anything else from the app.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any work around?

Joseb | 22 January 2020

Same for me really, every darn morning, hit the snooze button don't know how many times.

rxlawdude | 22 January 2020

Is that the same as a dirt nap?

jimglas | 22 January 2020

Rebooting the car worked for me

EVRider | 22 January 2020

How's your cellular signal where the car is parked? WiFi alone isn't enough.

peter.watson51 | 22 January 2020

Cellular single needs to be present for the app to wake the car currently. If your Wi-Fi and your Bluetooth reaches the car, then you can lock or unlock (door locks) in the app- that will usually wake it after some moments.
I have no cell signal in my garage!

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 22 January 2020

The signals are good. It’s random, most of the time it’s fine.
Mobile service is coming Friday, I’ll ask him about it.

ryan.theprofessional | 22 January 2020

Leave your sentry mode on in the garage and it won't pass out on you. Turn it on from the cars console not your app so it defaults to that. That's the only way I could fix this. I have good wifi connection and cellular signal BTW.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 22 January 2020

I wish I had a garage.

gjergjgjergji | 24 January 2020

black background camera on reverse

EVRider | 24 January 2020

@ryan: Turning on Sentry Mode will also drain 1-2 miles of range per hour and run the dashcam continuously. Not a good workaround when there are better options available.

tmack2 | 24 January 2020

Mine responds to turning Airplane mode on and off briefly. The theory is that my phone has a power save mode for Bluetooth which renders the connection too weak to communicate.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 26 January 2020

I believe that waking the car from the app uses WiFi/LTE, not Bluetooth. Bluetooth range is only about 30 feet.

mcmack15 | 26 January 2020

We had a one car garage and had the same issue with both our 3 and S last winter with whatever car was left outside overnight when the temperatures dropped to 20 or below all night. The app with the phone would not work as the car wouldn't wake up. We learned that we could wake up the car using our fobs, then the app would work so we could preheat the car. Since then we put on an addition---with solar panels on the roof for the cars---and replaced the old garage with an insulated two car garage. No need to preheat this year so far (very mild winter to date).

Spartan24 | 26 January 2020

I had this problem all winter last year. Car goes into very deep sleep, often resulting in the cell signal being turned off it seems. My work around has been to walk toward the end of my house near the garage until I see my app indicate I’m close enough to unlock /lock my Tesla. Which is what I do, then it wakes it up so I can connect.
The other change for me that has helped is the new feature that allows Tesla to finish its charging and precondition at a set time, which essentially means I only need to do my work around on the days I’m leaving earlier than what is set in my car.

Spartan24 | 26 January 2020

I’ll add that this deep sleep can be a problem at the end of work day in really cold climates when you want to not just pre-heat the car, but defrost windows so you can actually open the door.
Still...I’m walking out to a Tesla Model 3 and that’s been enough of a joy to forgive the little stuff.

rob | 26 January 2020

@CRAIGJFIFTY3 "I wish I had a garage."

HA HA!

I mean. :(

Orthopod | 26 January 2020

Happened to me 2 or 3 times in the first few weeks, didn’t have any problem lately

maxomatic | 4 April 2020

This has been happening to me every morning. The car is normal all day, wakes via app. Only had the car 2 weeks, worked fine on the portable charger but when I installed the wall charger G3 and leave it plugged into that overnight, app says connection error and I’ve had to reboot the car ... every morning! Going to try leaving sentry more on I guess.

SolArray | 4 April 2020

CRAIG.. like you, I have no garage. Agree with others about what wifi can/can't do for you, and agree that the car needs LTE when you're trying to wake it for preconditioning.
My experience: On "those days" when the car just Can't wake up remotely I look first thing at the signal strength when I get in the car. Could't believe it, but had little or no LTE "at that moment." Within a minute or two LTE signal rebounded - so it may be an intermittent signal strength issue (temporary drop-out). My cable and wifi inside the apt is different provider so there's no way I'll know if the car's receiver is not getting strong LTE.

RichardKJ | 4 April 2020

To wake up the car Tesla sends it a text (SMS) message so no or poor cell signal means no wake up. WiFi is not involved.

Orthopod | 5 April 2020

@richard
How do you send a text message to your Tesla

T_Scheen | 5 April 2020

@RichardKJ
Do you happen to have a source to substantiate this ?

RichardKJ | 5 April 2020

@T_Scheen
I don't. It was discussed several years ago, probably in the Model S forum. It does make sense that it would take a minimal amount of energy to listen for a test message.

I have noticed that since I got 12.1 wakeup from the app is MUCH faster.

EVRider | 5 April 2020

@RichardKJ: It’s also my understanding that Tesla servers use cellular to contact your car (whether they use SMS or something else), and your car then connects to WiFi. This is why you need both WiFI and cellular where you park in order to get WiFI updates.

I’ve always assumed that one reason for this implementation is because it would be a security risk if your car could be accessed via WiFi (meaning your car would act as a server), but I don’t know that.

On a related note, I’ve noticed that our Model 3 disconnects from WiFi when it sleeps, but our Model S stays connected. So, the Model 3 could not be accessed via WiFi when sleeping.

T_Scheen | 5 April 2020

There's a way to find out: Take out the SIM card from your phone, and then try to wake up the car via the app (connected to Wifi only)

EVRider | 5 April 2020

@T_Scheen: You misunderstood what I said earlier. Your phone doesn't connect directly to the car via cellular, the Tesla servers do. When you use the app to control the car (with a couple of exceptions), you're communicating with the Tesla servers, which in turn are communicating with your car. It doesn't matter whether your phone is using cellular or WiFi, as long as it has internet access.

T_Scheen | 5 April 2020

Ok, I see, thx EVRider.

HalliBee | 5 April 2020

My car does this at work, where there is no cell service. The preconditioning doesn't turn on and the car is not charged as it was set to do. Happens about 2 times out of every 10. Not sure why.