Forums

How many people have you helped since COVID19 outbreak?

How many people have you helped since COVID19 outbreak?

Let us know what you have done to help people around you and inspire others to do so.
Share your experiences or the experiences of others that have made a difference.

EVRider | 6 April 2020

Hoping that staying home and wearing masks when you have to go out has made a difference.

andy.connor.e | 6 April 2020

Dont know what people would have done had i not talked to them. Did what i thought was the right choice and i dont have anything to weigh it against as a true positive helping point. Make sure people are staying calm, staying home, and wearing masks while out.

SamO | 6 April 2020

Does Flagging troll threads count?

WW_spb | 6 April 2020

I sure hopes so

WW_spb | 6 April 2020

Hope*

rxlawdude | 6 April 2020

Taught 150 graduate students. Using lots of examples of ethical dilemmas from current news cycles.

SCCRENDO | 6 April 2020

Just by posting facts on these threads we are helping countless people. Those that troll are hindering the effort

the relentless trump bashing threads and comments are really helping the people who need help.

SCCRENDO | 6 April 2020

Relentless Trump bashing is also potentially helpful. It may wake up enough people that we have a competent president for the next crisis.

yep. doesnt help people who need real help right now tho

Magic 8 Ball | 6 April 2020

Trump cannot spend more than two minutes at the podium without trying to deflect from his responsibility and throw others under the bus. Keeping the flames on high must be done if you love the USA.

If Americans spend time bashing the president, and not helping other Americans, idk about some people, but i see a much deeper problem.

if u can manage to do both, thats a true murican

People can help and bash. Seems like hypocrites try to fight bashing.

SCCRENDO | 6 April 2020

You can post positive stuff regarding COVID and bash Trump in the same sentence.

You can pick up groceries for a neighbor and post while you are a passenger in the car you are traveling in.

jimglas | 6 April 2020

most people can multi-task
And fodder for trump bashing doesn't take much effort

NKYTA | 6 April 2020

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D1XN9yQs0Q5KAnA6eKB0qZjyGH1POrBc...

CA with early intervention ok. Better than the rest of the US compared to Italy.

JPPTM | 7 April 2020

...practicing medicine....

Tesla2018 | 8 April 2020

Helping people with companies get information about Payroll Protection Loans.
Calling neighbors that live alone to make sure that they are Ok.
Putting stuffed animals in my windows for little kids to see since they can't have Easter Egg Hunts. There was something on nextdoorcom about doing this so kids can walk around the neighborhood with their parents seeing how many they can find.

SCCRENDO | 8 April 2020

Good for you Tesla2018

Magic 8 Ball | 8 April 2020

Do not be misled by the fake doctors pretending to be liberals. They are fishing for arguments that come from an extreme left perspective to later be used against the left. They pretend to be liberals and then meltdown when exposed they have no clothes. The meltdowns are all part of the act that they later use to try and convince others that liberal are weak and that they meltdown.

Orthopod | 8 April 2020

That’s nice of you to call neighbours.
Our prime minister just told us yesterday to call someone who lives alone.
If everybody does this, isolation period will be easier to go through

SCCRENDO | 8 April 2020

My daughter lives next door to an elderly couple who live pretty isolated. They came into contact with someone at the golf club who developed COVID. They went into isolation. My daughter heard about it and arranged a grocery delivery. The good news is that they remained healthy

Orthopod | 8 April 2020

I hope the community stays interconnected stronger after this.
The thing I fear is the backlash of pollution from people going out to ride their speedboat at every occasion possible once the crisis is resolved

Propwash | 9 April 2020

I decontaminate and repair Firefighter Turnouts and repair them for City State and federal Firefighters alond with coveralls for other first responders, does this count as helping out.

rxlawdude | 9 April 2020

@Propwash, it sure does. Thanks for doing that!

SCCRENDO | 9 April 2020

@Propwash. Indeed. Thank you for contributing.

mbp11 | 9 April 2020

I am a recently retired physician in the San Francisco Bay Area and am looking around and registering for volunteer jobs to keep my skills up. I am keeping in touch with my colleagues who are on the front line and are waiting for a SF Bay Area surge in 2-3 weeks... hopefully it will not come. In the mean time I am still paying my gardener and my spanish speaking cleaners their monthly checks even if it is not safe for them to come, and I am paying my trainer (from a now-closed health club) to help me work out once a week at my neighborhood park. These people need an income at this time, more than ever.

I am trying to do as much takeout as I can from local restaurants, I don't want them to go out of business and giving them hefty tips. My girlfriend and I entertain two elderly couples every Easter for dinner but we cannot do that this year, so we will pick up three dinners from a local restaurant on Easter and drop one off on each of their doorsteps and pretend we are having a dinner together... perhaps by phone.

Of course I have elderly neighbors across the street and next door and I occasionally go shopping for them if they allow me. I took all of the candy and nibbles that I got from my last day at work gift baskets. and put it in smaller bags and dropped it off on the doorsteps of some of the families with kids. That should wire the kids up!! I included a bottle of wine with the bag labeled "Adult First Aid," to apologize for revving up the kids.

The Tesla is currently asleep in the garage, I washed and vacuumed it before putting it away and am running around with the 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid while it is so rainy and stormy here in the Bay Area.

I am lucky that I am able to help out others around me.

SCCRENDO | 9 April 2020

@mbp. Thank you for the good example you are setting.