Forums

Musk goes full Trump.

Musk goes full Trump.

Elon Musk unleashed a diatribe against shelter-in-place orders, describing the public health measures intended to stem the spread of coronavirus as “fascist”, during an earnings call on Wednesday.

“This is not democratic,” he said of the orders, which he falsely characterized as stipulating that anyone who leaves home would be arrested. “This is not freedom – give people back their goddamn freedom.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/29/tesla-quarterly-earni...

FISHEV | 29 April 2020

“We are a bit worried about not being able to resume production in the Bay Area,” he began. “The extension of shelter-in-place – or as I would call it, forcibly imprisoning people in their homes, against all constitutional right, and in my opinion infringing on people’s freedoms in ways that are horrible and wrong, and not why people came to America or pulled this country – what the fuck?” he said, before trailing off. He said shelter-in-place would cause “great harm” to companies.

Musk’s comments followed a series of erratic tweets on Tuesday night calling on the government to relax social distancing restrictions, sharing articles and praising examples of places relaxing their orders. “FREE AMERICA NOW,” one tweet read.distancing restrictions, sharing articles and praising examples of places relaxing their orders. “FREE AMERICA NOW,” one tweet read.

Magic 8 BaII | 29 April 2020

Keep living in your alternate reality. In 1 month nothing has changed you are still trolling around.
You are your fake docs gang are EVIL liars imitating others to spread FUD and help the shorts

SCCRENDO | 29 April 2020

Better to be a fake doc in the eyes of a psychotic than a full blown psychotic

FISHEV | 29 April 2020

Musk, like Trump, seems to view the Covid-19 pandemic only in terms of what is in the best interest of Musk (or Trump)

Sad situation in Musk's case as he's done so much good with Tesla and SpaceX.

WW_spb | 29 April 2020

Mommy they hurt my feelings

FISHEV | 29 April 2020

"After Tesla’s profit plummets, Elon Musk calls California’s lockdown ‘fascist.’ "

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/business/stock-market-coronavirus.htm...

WW_spb | 29 April 2020

Alternative facts much Fish just like your President?

SamO | 29 April 2020

Questioning legitimacy of extended “shelter in place“ orders that significantly restrict movement and freedom is patriotic.

efuseakay | 29 April 2020

Dying for Elon’s bottom line is patriotic. Make bleach great again.

MitchP85D | 29 April 2020

A famous quote from David Crockett was, "all of you go to hell, I'm going to Texas."

Mr. Elon Musk, I highly recommend you tell California the same!

SCCRENDO | 29 April 2020

@BlahBlahBlah. You have a lot to say for yourself. BlagBlahBlah. Where do you guys spring out of??

WW_spb | 30 April 2020

It's me: Mario

FISHEV | 30 April 2020

"His outburst came as he was close to securing a $750m (£585m) payout from a bonus scheme linked to Tesla’s share price."

I guess it's a feet of clay situation. Musk, like Bezos, one of the richest men yet his workers are low pay and the factories cited for work issues and now he wants them to risk their lives to build him cars.

With all that money, you'd think he have done kept the laid off workers on payroll to stay home and done what Ford is doing, using the lessons from China plants to setup post-Covid-19 production techniques to keep workers safe.

Buy test kits from Korea and China, create a safe work place and show how it's done vs. the pseudo Darwinism of let the workers live or die as long as they work.

"Musk, the world’s 22nd-richest person with an estimated $38.5bn (£30.5bn) fortune, on Wednesday tweeted: “Give people their freedom back!” with a link to a Wall Street Journal article suggesting that the lockdowns have not saved that many lives but have shattered local economies."

SCCRENDO | 30 April 2020

I am also disappointed in Elon. Public health comes before the economy

jimglas | 30 April 2020

Did Elon paint his face orange?

BevKar51 | 30 April 2020

World class idiot statement from someone who should know better. Nobody is arrested for leaving the house, but people who care about each other are doing it voluntarily. Clearly this unity interrupts the talk show dummies plans on further dividing us citizens. Selfish, arrogant, and short sighted. Big deal, you have to sit and do nothing to help save a vulnerable person from exposure to your germs, and you can't ever do that. No... I'm not buying this car after all. It's the one statement I can make that you may listen to.

FlSHEV | 30 April 2020

"I am also disappointed in Elon. Public health comes before the economy"

As you see, @SCCRENDO believes "Public health" is a cover up for fascism.

I only hope @SCCRENDO has not joined your previously banned leader, @M8B.

An inconvenient truth.

WW_spb | 30 April 2020

Lol

Magic 8 BaII | 30 April 2020

Fake doc
Fake news
All fake

EVIL liars

SCCRENDO | 30 April 2020

@Fish. Was that sarcasm or have you misinterpreted what I said. What I stated is that public health should come before worrying about the economy. In the long run if we don’t address public health and get a handle on the environment the economy will tank.
As far as I can tell I am still on the same page as you and certainly not with Magic No Balls.

Magic 8 BaII | 30 April 2020

You will see the light @SCCRENDO

FISHEV = Fake facts = Always lying = Alternate news

sabbia | 30 April 2020

You can like or even love Elon Mush without liking everything he says. No one is lying when they report Musk called coronavirus panic "dumb." No one is lying when they report Mush called shelter in place orders "fascist."

These are not lies. It doesn't mean that Tesla SpaceX and other things are not simply amazing. They are amazing.

garyjtate | 30 April 2020

Yo Elon, stick to space rockets and building EVs.

BTW where’s my damn HW3 upgrade?

SCCRENDO | 30 April 2020

@Fish.I reread your comment. LOL. Yeah. Despite the fact I admire Elon most of the time he thinks I’m a fascist. But I guess @Sam0 thinks so too. As regards Magic no balls it’s hard to get offended by him when he is off his meds

jordanrichard | 30 April 2020

Now, I am not in CA, but was Elon right that one will get arrested for leaving their house? If so, that’s the first I have heard of that.

SCCRENDO | 30 April 2020

Not in Southern California. I bike daily, go for walks and drive when needed

FISHEV | 30 April 2020

FlSHEV | April 30, 2020 "I am also disappointed in Elon. Public health comes before the economy" As you see, @SCCRENDO believes "Public health" is a cover up for fascism. I only hope @SCCRENDO has not joined your previously banned leader, @M8B. An inconvenient truth."

Yikes so one of the spammers is able to use my Tesla Forum handle. Wonder how that works, hidden spaces or something.

SCCRENDO | 30 April 2020

@PBendo did this for awhile. I have a theory but I am not going to suggest it here. Anyway I am glad you haven’t turned on me.

Kinikini9 | 1 May 2020

Elon’s tweets are so disappointing. This is the first Tim I have lost respect for him. I and a CT tech and my husband is an RN. I have a model 3. Many of my coworkers also own a Tesla. We can’t buy more If we are sick or dead.
We have been fortunate in California because we started this shelter in place order early. There is no reason to ruin all our hard work and sacrifice right now.
This is California. We aren’t stupid. ELON IS WRONG. Elon is making Tesla look foolish.
I’m selling my Tesla stock and taking back my deposit for a cybertruck.
Someone needs to tell Elon to stick to cars and rockets. Someone needs to smash Elon’s bong.

Kinikini9 | 1 May 2020

Nobody is getting arrested for going out of the house. Costco is packed with dipsticks who won’t wear a mask. It’s almost business as usual here. At least in Fresno that how it is. The drug seekers are starting to come back to the hospital. We will have a surge of Covid soon because people won’t stay home. Dummies are out spending their Trumpchange on booze and Meth.

jordanrichard | 1 May 2020

So where is Elon coming up with crap about people being prisoners of their homes and getting arrested if found to be leaving their houses...….?

I am not selling my stock because of his remarks, but it's definitely made me see him in a different light. Perhaps this is just another Ambien moment.

SCCRENDO | 1 May 2020

I think Elon is edging to get back to work. And essential industries are working in California. He is trying to define himself as an essential industry. But the more businesses that open the higher the risk overall. So California is trying to keep limited essential industries open with limited contact. Physicians are also trying to avoid elective procedures. I have not been into the office since early March and do limited telemedicine consults and am beginning zoom today. Businesses need to follow public health advice in a pandemic and Elon does not get to make the rules

grins.va | 1 May 2020

Perhaps automobile manufacturers may not construct new cars, but this would have been a perfect time for Tesla to make repair parts. There has always been a shortage of fenders and hoods and now we can't get a volume amount of MCUs. Such a waste of time.

SamO | 1 May 2020

Automobile manufacturing IS an essential industry.

“…Workers critical to the manufacturing, distribution, sales, rental, leasing, repair, and maintenance of vehicles and other transportation equipment (including electric vehicle charging stations) and the supply chains that enable these operations to facilitate continuity of travel-related operations for essential workers.”

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Version_3.0_CISA_G... (WARNING: PDF)

SCCRENDO | 1 May 2020

Automobile manufacturing may be an essential industry but it can afford to close up for a short period of time. Even in medicine emergency procedures and treatments proceed. But elective visits and procedures shut down

SamO | 1 May 2020

You just wrote that Elon is trying to "define himself as an essential industry."

Nope.

Tesla is an essential industry. Period.

Now your argument is: even though he is an essential industry, he should be closed because the local government disagrees with that designation.

Meanwhile, essential industries like Burger King, 7-11 and gas stations/service centers remain open. Tesla has experience bringing thousands of workers safely, with PPE and with distancing in Shanghai.

There are ways to allow people to continue their lives that is less restrictive.

That's the entire premise of his argument.

brownteeth | 1 May 2020

He might just see the bigger picture of climate change being the "real" threat to humanity. Elon is actively trying to execute solutions and this virus is preventing any sort of progress or creativity. In many decades when climate change gets real momentum we will look back at COVID-19 like it was a tiny blip that only delayed or eroded essential plans.

teslu3 | 1 May 2020

SamO, thanks for the cisa.gov pdf. I am perplexed that Tesla is unable to manufacture at least spare parts for essential workers who use Tesla vehicles. I am an "essential worker" in the telecommunications industry who must drive to the office during these trying times even though I am as effective telecommuting. Surely with suitable preparations for personal distancing and testing, manufacturing companies could ramp back up starting with limited capacity.

222 | 1 May 2020

Not sleeping. Angry tweets. Views that contradict some of the top scientific experts. Wanting to give up all his material possessions. I'm super pissed with my share prices dropping today but I'm also worried that a man who I consider super smart and very important to how we shape the future of this planet might have some other issues that needs addressing in private. Just all very bizarre this week.....

The worse part of it to me was when he tweeted a few days ago an article, whose headline implied inflated Covid reporting by hospitals for higher reimbursement. What that implies is that us healthcare professionals are intentionally part of a conspiracy to commit fraud. Extremely poor judgement to post that when we have doctors committing suicide from "moral injury" during this overwhelmingly stressful healthcare crisis.

I wish him the best and hopes he seeks guidance/counseling/support/help.

222 | 1 May 2020

I disagree with the title. He's not going full trump. The better analogy is he's going full kanye.

rxlawdude | 1 May 2020

@222, your first and middle name isn't "DEA Form," is it? :-)

SCCRENDO | 1 May 2020

@SamO. In the long term he is an essential industry. But in a pandemic when we are trying to social distance as much as possible essential industries take on a new definition in the short term. It is is much more important that the virus be contained. This industries and parts of industries that are considered essential should only be open. Again I use the medical industry. I among many others consider medical care to be a essential industry certainly more so I am pandemic. But much of it needed to be shut down for the pandemic

222 | 1 May 2020

@rxlawdude -- HA! I've been asked the origin of my handle for years on this forum but that's a new one! I had to look it up actually :)

SCCRENDO | 1 May 2020

More details about California’s present strategy and regarding reopening
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/us/california-reopen-coronavirus.html

FISHEV | 1 May 2020

@Kinikini9 | May 1, 2020 We have been fortunate in California because we started this shelter in place order early. There is no reason to ruin all our hard work and sacrifice right now."

It's just a dollar issue to Elon which makes it worse. Apparently he has some stock option payoff coming up that will be reduced due to the safety rules for the pandemic. Musk wants the auto workers to risk their lives while he hides out in his mansion. The workers likely make more on safety layoff than working for Elon while Elon makes less.

Covid-19 has been a bit of revelation on Musk, he was an early denier with "its just the flu" and "better 100,000 die so I can make money" and then the "1,000 ventilators" scam when they turned out to be home sleeping aids for fat people not hospital ventilators and now his "worker safety is fascism".

Sad and revealing.

booshtukka | 1 May 2020

I have also been disappointed in Elon's Twitter comments, and his inability to just keep his thoughts to himself when they contradict scientific and medical advice.

MitchP85D | 1 May 2020

I will always own a Tesla till the day I kick the bucket, regardless of what Elon says about "climate change" or politics.

I've always noticed this about liberals. They are more concerned about a CEO's political viewpoints than they are about the product or service they sell.

SCCRENDO | 1 May 2020

Mitch stop hallucinating. We all admire Elon. But we judge him on what he has achieved etc. But unlike MAGA hatters and Trump who never criticize dear leader we are very objective. This does not take away from his success with Tesla and what he is doing with climate change and also space X. But he does say stupid things at times and as far as his attitude to putting his workers at risk he is totally wrong and we cannot support that. I just wish you MAGA hatters would call out Trump occasionally

rob | 1 May 2020

@SCCRENDO
" I just wish you MAGA hatters would call out Trump occasionally"

You're doing political recruiting on a car forum. Weird...

MitchP85D | 1 May 2020

SCCRENDO, did you notice some of the posts? Some are cancelling Tesla orders and selling their stock. I am not hallucinating. All you have to do is scroll up. Kind of like looking at Arctic ice data - something you don't like to do.

I think that is pretty sucky. But that is just my little 'ol opinion. This is America. If you want to judge a product by public statements made by the CEO, you can do that.

Pages