Forums

Charger installation ahead of Model 3 purchase

Charger installation ahead of Model 3 purchase

I am planning to put down my deposit for a Model 3 in person at the store on the 31st. (If it's horrible, I can always get the money back, but I don't anticipate that.) I had some questions about the charger situation, though. I assume it will come with the Mobile Connector, and I am planning to put in a NEMA 240v outlet in my garage (luckily, my breaker box is literally right next to my car, so it's easy to add garage circuits). However, I am not thrilled with the idea of leaving the mobile connector at home when I am out driving (maybe I'll need it?) nor am I thrilled with the idea of unplugging it every day and throwing it in the trunk (those outlets aren't even made for that). So I was thinking, with the $1000 tax credit for charging accessories, I could just put in a wall charger like the Wall Connector before the end of this year, and just have it sit until I actually have the car. Why not; it will be way cheaper with the tax credit, which expires at the end of 2016.

Ok, great. Obvious play is to get the Tesla Wall Connector. Except what if I can't get the Model 3 for some reason (like the $7500 tax credit runs out before I buy the car)? It doesn't look like you can use Tesla Wall Connectors for any other kind of electric car. At the same time, you CAN get things like the GE WattStation and use them with a J1772 adapter to charge a Tesla. Plus, they are standard and can charge at up to 80 amps (I think), were I to go that high. Would it make more sense to get the WattStation or other more generic charger and install it in my garage, and just buy a little Tesla adapter for the end of it? It doesn't look like there are adapters to change a Wall Connector to J1772, so it seems like you lose versatility there.

Another idea: can you use the tax credit on the Mobile Connector, so I can just buy one in 2016 so I will get the credit, and then have 2 when the car comes?

Any ideas are appreciated. Any Tesla owners out there using a WattStation or any of those J1772 chargers in their homes?

Tâm | 21 March 2016

As you pointed out, if you are committed to Tesla with no doubt, then HPWC is the most convenient, reliable, and economical way to go.

Mobile connectors means what it is: It's mobile, not intended to be nice and convenient stationary HPWC.

If you are not sure about Tesla brand, non-Tesla charging equipment is next best but they are much more expensive than HPWC (if you compare 80A supplied on 100A circuit)

Clipper seems to be well known brand for enduring outdoor elements for years as well as indoor.

PhillyGal | 21 March 2016

Depending on where you live and how much you drive in a day, you may find no reason to keep your charge cord in your car. We leaved ours plugged in except road trips, as our daily driving doesn't require charging away from home. And even if it did, it's almost always on a Level 2 charger or Supercharger where our own cable is not needed. Even on road trips, as more super chargers pop open, we're finding less use of our cable outside of home.

danCE | 21 March 2016

I do the same as PhillyGal. My charger cable is plugged into the NEMA 14-50 outlet all the time, except when I'm about to go on a long trip, then it's the last thing I pack into the car.

The other option would be to buy a 2nd cable to keep in the car. That's a lot cheaper than buying an HPWC.

georgehawley.fl.us | 21 March 2016

There will be a LOT of time to figure this out once you configure it. Wait until you know more about the car.

Noel Ingle | 7 April 2016

What is the home charging current for a Model 3? I'm guessing 40A. Does anyone know?

dchuck | 7 April 2016

if you want a viable alternative to a HPWC or WattStation i have been looking at a JuiceBoxTM Pro 40. it is a 40 amp unit with a J1772 connector. Use the adapter that comes with the car or purchase an adapter from Tesla and leave it plugged in to the JuiceBox all the time. it is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the HPWC and because it uses the more generic J1772 connector you can use it to charge other EV's or heaven forbid you purchase something besides a Tesla. :)

it has one unique thing going for it that i have not seen with any other system. If you purchase 2 units and wire them into the same circuit the units will charge two EV's at the same time and are smart enough to split the current 50/50. If one car is finished charging it will re-allocate 100% back to the one that is not yet finished charging, Neat.

Mark Z | 8 April 2016

I use a ChargePoint Home. It connects to the internet for scheduling that prevents activation outside of my 9 PM to 12 noon charge window. The Tesla has a schedule feature, but if the charge cable is left connected, it may start charging outside the window as the battery drains.

For non-scheduled charging, the ClipperCreek EVSE are excellent and highly recommended.

croman | 8 April 2016

I use a Wattstation GE unit. It charges my LEAF quickly. I expect the same as I build out my EV fleet with a Model 3. It uses a NEMA 6-50 plug (I didn't want hardwire just because I want to be able to replace the unit should I need to). I liked the Juicebox wifi option but it also seemed a bit over the top.

jordanrichard | 8 April 2016

Am I missing something here? You don't need any aftermarket charging "station". Plug the car into an existing 120 outlet if you don't want to spend the money on a 240/40 amp outlet. Don't want to commit to installing Tesla's HPWC, then buy an extra UMC. BTW, the "C" in HPWC doesn't stand for charger it stands for connector. The charger (s) are in the car. Speaking of which, unless you get a second onboard charger installed, the HPWC won't do you any good, meaning there is no advantage.

dd.micsol | 8 April 2016

I'm using 480watt for my S. Get full charge in about 4 hrs.

dd.micsol | 8 April 2016

Sorry that is amp not watt. Where's my coffee???

KP in NPT | 8 April 2016

You're not missing anything, jordanrichard.

Earl and Nagin ... | 8 April 2016

I think the key thing is that the Model S actually comes with a 120 - 240 volt, up to 40 amp capable charging station/cable/portable EVSE. Most of the other EVs being sold come only with a cheesy 120v 8 - 15 amp one and, if you want to be able to charge in a reasonable amount of time, you have to purchase a better one (after market or from through the dealer). Definitely another plus for Tesla but it will be interesting to see what path Tesla takes with the Model III

jordanrichard | 8 April 2016

Teslas come with 3 adapters. 120, 240 and a J1772. At least for the U.S. market.

Captain_Zap | 8 April 2016

My Model S is 80A capable and I use all of it. It is yet to be seen whether the Model 3 will be capable of 80A. My guess is that the car will be capable of 70A like the Model X.

bjdraw | 8 April 2016

jordanrichard,

Even without the 2nd charger, it looks cool and helps manage the wires when not in use. But yeah, not really worth the money.

borne.by.wind | 8 April 2016

Does anyone know if a 40 Amp home charger designed for the Nissan Leaf will work on the Model 3?

negarholger | 8 April 2016

"Does anyone know if a 40 Amp home charger designed for the Nissan Leaf will work on the Model 3?"

Should work with the supplied J1772 adapter

FelixMendeldog | 10 April 2016

The mobile connector costs $650; the HPWC costs $750. I don't know why someone said buying a second mobile connector would be a lot cheaper—perhaps he assumes an HPWC would be expensive to install? You said your breaker box is right next to your car so your installation will be a piece of cake (I need to run I about 30 feet of heavy gauge copper to reach my car from my panel.) I will install my HPWC wall connector myself to save money, and to ensure it’s done properly.

Rocky_H | 13 April 2016

This just got interesting with Tesla's new wall connector.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/produc...

It is now $500, so it's even cheaper than a second mobile connector, which is still $650. The version with 8 foot cord is $500, and the one with 20 foot cord is $550. Also, amazingly, it has the feature that @dchuck mentioned, where you can daisy chain up to four of them on a single breaker, and it will be able to manage charging multiple cars.

Red Sage ca us | 13 April 2016

Hmmm... That is mighty interesting, indeed. It should make installations at hotels, motels, and other destination sites a bit easier... While allowing for situations where a parking space might be ICED as well.

dchuck | 13 April 2016

Rocky_H,

yeah i saw the new HPWC and did a complete 180 on my future purchase. The HPWC is now the same price as the unit i was looking at and the 8 extra amps don't hurt either.

One advantage the JuiceBox still has over the TESLA unit is the bridge between the two chargers is wireless. So you could potentially hook up two JuiceBox units on opposite walls of the garage and not have to run a wire along the ceiling or around the walls of the garage.

ETA... 2 years, 4 months, 3 days.

Haggy | 14 April 2016

I keep my mobile connector at home. I took it with me on my first long trip, but have since realized that for practical purposes, I'm taking routes with superchargers anyway, and in a worst case scenario, I'd be more likely to find a public charger than an NEMA 14-50 outlet. Unless I were going to some area with RV camping, where it might help in a pinch, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the J1772 adapter with you.

For the tax credit for charging equipment, keep in mind that if you are subject to the AMT, you don't get the tax credit.

For a typical day, a 14-50 outlet will have me charged by 12:30-1:30 anyway, so I don't need anything faster. By the time the Model 3 is out, the new wall connectors might be my best bet. I don't see any rush. The most I risk is a price increase, but given that Tesla will be selling most of them to Model 3 customers, I expect them to be price sensitive.

GeorgeA | 14 April 2016

Had my S for 3+ years now. Installed NEMA 14-50 outlet 50amp is all I ever needed. On a busy local day I might run 60 miles around town. Get home in 2 hrs I charge back what I used that day, ready to go again. On trips, I max charge then use Tesla SuperChargers which are fast and free. I recommend you always bring your cable with adapters just in case. I use my cable when visiting an out of town friend via their dryer outlet near garage door.

I had to use a 110 outlet only once 2.5 years ago when visiting a different out of town friend (ironically in the space coast) since no public chargers were available except Nissan dealer which some dealers are not willing to help. These 110 outlets supply 3-4 mi/hr painfully slow but overnight can get you 4 x 15=60miles if this is all you drive. I would not advise relying on using this slow charging method unless you drive very few miles/day or are tight on cash or don't want or not able to install a 240v system where you live due to restrictions or logistics. Model 3 will likely have similar charging capabilities to model S / X, perhaps even better.

Rocky_H | 15 April 2016

I also keep my mobile cable hooked up semi-permanently and hanging on a hook on the wall in my garage. I just can't use up 200 miles in a day driving around town here, so I'm not going to keep the cable in the car all the time. I am still in the area of the country with not a lot of car charging stations, so when I go on trips a few times a year, I do still take my cable with me.

PaceyWhitter | 15 April 2016

As has been said, there are very few places that you would need your UMC out in public. Basically you would need it if going to someone else's house and needing to charge overnight or something (rv park). To charge at a public charger you need your j1772 adapter, that is it for around town. That being said, the HPWC looks cooler in your varage, so it is up to you.