Forums

"Gift" for those who waited in line?

"Gift" for those who waited in line?

Saw a tweet or something from Elon mentioning some little "thanks" for those that waited in line. Any idea what that might be?

moorelin | 1 April 2016

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has announced that “the first person that put their name down for the Model 3 in each of our worldwide outlets and paid the deposit will receive the car for no extra charge.”

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/4/1/Tesla-Says-First-In-Queue-Will-Rece...

Not clear what "worldwide outlets" actually means, and I can't find any confirmation, but pretty amazing if true.

Rasorsmr2 | 1 April 2016

How would they even be able to determine that though? (Other than the documented ones via news outlets). At our store, we had around 13 stations operating simultaneously. The actual 1st person in-line might have got his or her reservation processed 2nd or later because the other 12 reps could have completed the transaction first.

1089 | 1 April 2016

Note the date.

Keoni5 | 1 April 2016

I think that's what you would call an April fools

alnrench2 | 1 April 2016

I'd expect a Tesla T-Shirt ...or a Keyfob Holder....or a Cap....or a.......?

Ross1 | 1 April 2016

coffee . didn't you get a coffee?

cchouston | 1 April 2016

I would venture to guess that it is the 10 X 12 renderings of the Model 3 that those attending last evening's event received when we departed the venue.

Earl and Nagin ... | 1 April 2016

We got coffee, cookies, and a bottle of water in Burbank CA.

TaoJones | 1 April 2016

While there was coffee, cookies and water at Palm Desert, I was happy to get in and get out by 10:07 a.m. Easy peasy.

I understood Elon's gracious tweet to mean that at some point down the line, perhaps to be announced at the 2nd (penultimate) unveiling, that those who waited in line Day One might receive something car-related. Ideally, configuration-related. And really ideally, maybe AP convenience features included at no extra charge.

OK, admittedly, that's no small token, and no, once again I did not bring enough for everybody. Point being that this small token could be anything - and it is certainly easier to toggle on a set of features via software for a small party of 115,000 people than to have to manage 115,000 sets of floor mats.

mike.mcn | 1 April 2016

@TaoJones

You must have been one of the folks I was waiting in line with. I was 7th in line.

However, I was so excited to have my reservation I didn't even notice the food! Though I do remember commenting on it before we were let in. The mind boggles...

I'm with you. I hope there is some easy to "give away" option in the car for those of us die-hard fans who braved the horrible Palm Desert weather.

Take care!

elephant in a bottle | 2 April 2016

Elon Musk bobblehead.

HenryT2 | 2 April 2016

I asked about the gift. The rep said they only got news of it in the morning and that something would arrive in the mail (sounded like he meant snail mail) soon. I'm hoping for something special on the car - like an 'early adopter' badge or something.

eric.whang | 2 April 2016

Elon Musk's tweeted "Token of appreciation for those who lined up coming via mail. Thought maybe 20-30 people per store would line up, not 800. Gifts on order."

Tropopause | 2 April 2016

Great idea Tesla!

Nic727 | 2 April 2016

Elon Musk : "we will send something to everyone who ordered, but an extra gift for those who stood in some crazy long lines"

It's cool... But as a 22 years old student, I don't have money to afford this car yet. I have $10'000 in my bank account, so I'm trying to saving money and don't buy stuffs lol.

Shesmyne2 | 2 April 2016

We got water, cookies, pretzels, and an available restroom.
+1 elephant
And, oh yeah-a reservation!

Still Grinning ;-)

jasper7821 | 2 April 2016

I was happy to wait 3 hours in line for the chance to get the M3 as early as possible. They passed out cookies and water. Would be cool if something extra came in the mail.
Can't wait for my car, and I was super happy to see that the car looks awesome.

dd.micsol | 3 April 2016

gift cards for online ordering? This is what I think it is-value probably 150 bucks. Will increase advertising if you buy apparel. If you want you could put it toward your wall charger.

free wall charger?-It's listed as 750, but I'll bet it costs them around 150 bucks.
Would help with people who want to install it prior to getting their car.

Could be a coupon for either of these 2 above possibly. For example you don't need a wall charger-live in apt or city-just buy apparel or something else at the store.

Free activation of auto pilot-full version? This makes the most sense as all it requires is activation on software and everyone would like it.

It's anyone's guess but these are some of mine.

Madatgascar | 3 April 2016

Thanks, but I prefer they just spend every penny on robots. Can I pay Tesla to build it faster?

jordanrichard | 3 April 2016

This will only add to the frenzy over the car and Tesla as a whole. The media has already reported the enormous number of people putting money down on a car they won't see for over a year. Then it gets out that the company is truly thinking of it's customers and sends a physical gift as appreciation for those that waited in line. Has any other car company done that, oh ya that's right, no other car company has had this much interest in a concept car. Does Apple do that......? Tesla could be cocky and not care about those people who waited in line. IF every one of those people, all 115,000 of them, cancelled their reservations they would still have 140,000 reservations to fill.

Tersalita | 3 April 2016

cchouston, I think you are correct. I saw the picture Elon Musk tweeted, thought it looked great then I immediately hoped that would be the gift. It makes perfect sense and I'd love to have one.

I'm not sure where I'd put it, but I would find a place.

Haggy | 3 April 2016

I'm hoping they will send some guy over to help clean out my garage. But I'd be fine with somebody putting in another outlet for me.

starke49 | 3 April 2016

I would tend to think it is either something very inexpensive because of the amount of people and the ability to get a refund or a free perk like a free option or credit that could only be of value if you actually put in your final order. The latter makes more sense as it helps close the deal.

PhillyGal | 3 April 2016

@tbouquet +1

But yes, this is a great idea. Any kind of sticker, picture to hang, bumper sticker ("My next car is a Tesla") is a really nice gesture and a way to get more advertising.

JeffreyR | 3 April 2016

EM: "Token of appreciation for those who lined up coming via mail. Thought maybe 20-30 people per store would line up, not 800. Gifts on order."
Q: "scaled down Model ≡?"
A: "[yes] and a few other things"

Also
Elon: "we will send something to everyone who ordered, but an extra gift for those who stood in some crazy long lines"

Sounds pretty cool to me.

vp09 | 3 April 2016

After 2 and 1/2 hours in line at the Buena Park, California, store, a nice Tesla lady offered us cookies, either peanut butter or choc chip. I went with the peanut butter. Also, bottled water and restroom. The next day, I started working on a Model S order.

OHMY | 3 April 2016

Elon's offer is, in my mind, gracious, humble, and really cool. He is becoming even more quite the statesman and leader. While the mail notion pretty much kills this, something I think would be really cool is a model 3 app for the car that does some small but fun thing that he himself programs and gets loaded in all the line-waiters' cars stock from factory. Maybe like unlock-able achievements or leveling up when I go 5 days in a row without honking at someone on I-5. Maybe the achievements are personal affirmations via favorite Elon maxims. That would be cool!

Red Sage ca us | 3 April 2016

Something really cool that will fetch at least $5.00 plus shipping & handling on Ebay.

;-)

Shesmyne2 | 3 April 2016

How do they know?

Still Grinning ;-)

cephellow | 3 April 2016

cowbells

Haggy | 4 April 2016

I've never seen a bumper sticker on a Tesla, so I don't think that would be high on the list. I have a bumper sticker that was given to me as a gift, but I never put it on. Maybe if he can send a bumper sticker that's the exact color of my bumper, I can put it on if I ever get a scrape.

TaoJones | 4 April 2016

Big ups for the software toggle - be it AP convenience features or SC access or ?. Costs little and avoids a logistical logjam for 115,000 chotchkies. Odds are most prospective owners will spend the $2500 value for other options anyway due to the likelihood of the tax credit for 25% of them and whatever state rebates for 100% of them. Win win.

I realize the odds are slim, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

At the same time, I thought it was most gracious of the current CEO, whose plate is full already, to think of extending gifts for those who waited in line over and above what reservation holders will receive. Sure we made history, but still. Very classy move.

mntlvr23 | 4 April 2016

At the Tyson's Tyco Rd showroom, the first person started the line at 10 am on March 30th, and I joined second at 2 pm. At 2:30 pm, one of the advisors drove away and came back with Chick-Fil-A sandwiches, fries and milkshakes for us and said that it was really cool that we came early. He left his Model S out with the fob - in case we wanted to check it out or use its radio. They gave us the wifi code, and brought out a long extension code with a power strip so that multiple people in line could keep their computers and phones charged up through the night - numbers that I believe reached around 275 by opening. Everyone Tesla was very cool all around .... and now a gift from Mr, Musk ....... Just take my money already - I am sold. All companies could learn the value of such small but meaningful gestures. Loyalty begets Loyalty (I once heard a great man say). Peace.

kboy25 | 7 April 2016

I think its a tshirt and cap

Red Sage ca us | 8 April 2016

Prolly includes a print of Franz von Holzhausen's original sketches for Model ☰.

Ross1 | 9 April 2016

Ride to Mars. Or the ISS. One way. It won't land back ion the barge with people in it.

(I know I know, its only the first stage comes back to the barge)

mntlvr23 | 9 April 2016

I am hoping that when the gifts are finally received by those who waited in line - that people hold off on posting for a few days as to what the gift actually is, so that everyone gets the opportunity to be surprised when they receive theirs. Maybe just start a new thread "Gift Received - No Spoilers"

wallstguy | 19 April 2016

Anyone received theirs yet?

mntlvr23 | 19 April 2016

Nope, not yet. Be assured that once they are delivered, you will hear about it.

Ross1 | 19 April 2016

It is a very obvious riddle.

The gift is that by waiting in line you got to order a M3

And Happy Xmas 2019

dd.micsol | 19 April 2016

Model 3 miniature and gift card for tesla store so you can get a free wall charger. Just a guess.

Morlandoemtp061383 | 20 April 2016

I would like a free auto pilot upgrade for us that stood in the lines, since it would just be a software enable. I know it is asking a lot.

Morlandoemtp061383 | 20 April 2016

I would like a free auto pilot upgrade for us that stood in the lines, since it would just be a software enable. I know it is asking a lot.

bj | 20 April 2016

I hope that the gift is something very modest in cost (less than $10) but unique & meaningful. A Model 3 miniature would be very cool. Really extravagant gifts, like wall chargers or other expensive upgrades would be a very bad idea in my view. Tesla should save its pennies for car production.

Also isn't there research that shows people value much more a low cost but well-targeted & meaningful gift, than a really extravagant one? The latter makes people feel embarassed/slightly dirty/uncomfortably obligated and actually devalues the gift.

dsvick | 20 April 2016

I agree with bj. Something smaller but more meaningful would be perfectly fine. A nice print of the model ☰ designs that can be framed, a miniature, a key chain with a place holder for your future model ☰ key fob., I'd even be happy with a $25 gift card to go get a Tesla jacket or shirt.

Everyone asking for things that cost hundreds of dollars are being unrealistic. Sure autopilot is just a software toggle but that doesn't mean there is no value in it. I don't see them giving away wall chargers either, Elon's primary goal may not be profit, but he does need to show one in order to keep the stockholders happy and to continue to be able to future the EV future.

PhillyGal | 20 April 2016

I agree with those that suggest something small and meaningful. Tesla has no business spending big bucks on this right now.

If it wouldn't be so expensive to mail, a license plate frame that says "My next car is a Tesla Model 3" would be really cool. Actually, a simple white window decal with the 3 logo would be really cool and would fit in a standard mailing envelope. Think of the white apple ones that come with apple products.

bj | 20 April 2016

How about a small frame-able poster with a cool photo or rendering of Model 3, but printed with your global reservation sequence number (i.e. queue position, ignoring region/previous ownership, purely based on timestamp)? Now wouldn't that cause some buzz! Mind you, you might not be so happy being reminded you are #114,972.

dsvick | 20 April 2016

@PhillyGal
a simple white window decal with the 3 logo

Now that would be cool. It would be like being in a secret club that only other members would recognize :) If anyone that didn't know asked you could tell them just about anything:
It's from my college fraternity/sorority.
I'm a math teacher really into congruence
I build ladders
It represents my life's journey and those are the steps to heaven/hell.

Hi_Tech | 20 April 2016

bj said: "Also isn't there research that shows people value much more a low cost but well-targeted & meaningful gift, than a really extravagant one? The latter makes people feel embarassed/slightly dirty/uncomfortably obligated and actually devalues the gift."

@bj - Can you please forward this? I'd love to send that article/research to my wife so that she stop spending so much for gifts! ;-)

mos6507 | 20 April 2016

I think they should send out a bumper-sticker we can put on our existing cars that says something like "WAITING FOR MY TESLA 3"

Pages