Forums

What's next? : New Roadster - Pickup Truck - Low Budget Car

What's next? : New Roadster - Pickup Truck - Low Budget Car

Now that the most important car has been released with an insane amount of pre-order..
Should we expect a new car to be annonced by 2020?

I saw 3 kind of car that would be great:

-A PickUp Truck if the range can be good enough while it trailer.

-A Roadster with the word best acceleration and a top speed of at least 300Km/h and a range of 450Km... Because the Model S is faster than the old Roadster has been in the past... I would like to see Carbon Fiber on this one.

- A car with 160km of range, like a Nissan Leaf, but at 20000$ or less.

What did you think about that?
Also, I am worried about the the super-high demand for the Model 3.....

yongliangzhu68 | 3 April 2016

I would love to see a new Roadster or Sports car (2 seater) off the M3 platform. This might make the most sense since the M3 will tie up mass production for a couple of years and a Roadster/Sport would be lower volume.

A truck has potential to be a high volume seller but this would take years before Tesla could meet the demand. Also would require a new platform to be developed. And probably require a new factory too.

Ideally what I would like to see off the M3 platform.

1) Roadster/Sports (low volume halo car)
2) Coupe/hatch fastback (would be the easiest to engineer/design)
3) SUV

I bet the M3 will be as low as Tesla goes.

FuuMasta | 3 April 2016

I really believe that a PickUp Truck is the next BIG step... let see what's gonna happen in 5 years.

JeffreyR | 3 April 2016

@wj +1 But, I would change your order:

1) Model Y mid-size CUV (Model X cousin; your SUV)
2) Roadster/Sports (aka Model R w/ Maximum Plaid mode)
3) Coupe/Cabriolet (sorry @Red Sage, but I think you'll have to wait)
4) Wagon (the Model Y may make this shape unnecessary)

A sport hatch like a VW GTI, Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 will require a new platform and advances in battery cell tech. The same is true for a F-150 truck competitor, but even more so. The instant torque of an EV lends itself to trucks, but the weight it would require right now to get decent range while towing/fully loaded is prohibitive. But, you merely need to look at presentations from Tesla to see they are planning a truck some day... soon.

chhartwig | 3 April 2016

I think the Model Y will be a smaller affordable version of the Model X based off of the 3 platform.

This is the most important next step because about 50% of consumers prefer an SUV/Crossover so it will help the company to continue to drive volume.

Once Tesla is able to drive volume and deliver 500,000 cars a year, I think you will see the company start to dabble into different markets such as pick-ups and sports cars.

The pick up truck is intriguing, because you could store all of your tools in the Frunk increasing the amount you can transport in the bed. This is something that no other car company will be able to offer.

yongliangzhu68 | 3 April 2016

Well documented that the 3 was to be the E and the SUV/CUV version will be the Y for the SE(3)XY lineup. Stands to reason if a roadster/spyder it could be an R or Roadster. What if it is a sports (panoramic) or targa instead?

Also that leaves the $64,000 question. If we get a 3 coupe/hatch what woulds it be called. Would Tesla copy BMW and call it the 4 or.....?

DTsea | 3 April 2016

There will never be a gimped 100 mile (160 km) tesla.

DTsea | 3 April 2016

There will never be a gimped 100 mile (160 km) tesla.

jordanrichard | 3 April 2016

The next car will be the CUV based on the M≡ platform (skateboard). My guess will be that will also build the new Roadster off the M≡ platform. By that point it will be time for a refresh of the MS. When Tesla does come out with their pickup truck, I suspect it will be based on the MS. That would make it as big as the F150.

N7_Maric | 3 April 2016

I'd love for Tesla to bring the Roadster back into production with the improvements gained along the way. But a pickup truck under $40k would be huge.

yongliangzhu68 | 4 April 2016

I'll play devil's advocate on the pickup truck.

While it is the best selling vehicle in the US, it is not a worldwide. Also many are bought for commercial use. Companies are not willing to play 'first adopter' games when commerce is on the line and they have a proven product to reply on.

Individual buyers tend to be more conservative and LOVE/devoted to their Fords and Chevys. They would most see a Tesla as a 'sissy' truck compared to 'real' trucks.

Also a truck is a different animal than a car and requires a lot of engineering that Tesla doesn't have. Making a platform that can tow and hall tremendous loads while still offering rang would be a challenge. Plus it would have to stand up to lots of off road abuse and the Lit-ion pack would probably need more protection. Europeans have not even tried to crack this market and even the Japanese have struggled.

If Tesla made a truck and it ended up being a failure it could be serious black eye on the young compony. Might be better to wait a decade or so when Tesla is well established before tackling the truck market.

Earl and Nagin ... | 4 April 2016

The OP's 3rd option doesn't really work.
A short range EV like the Leaf makes little sense. There's actually no saving from a battery that small. Nissan has had to replace nearly all of their 1st generation Leaf batteries under warranty because the batteries wore out from all of the full charge cycles that made them nearly useless prematurely. They would have been much better off putting twice as much battery in them initially so the batteries wouldn't have gotten so much stress with the added bonus that the batteries would have provided nearly 200 miles of range when needed. It would have cost Nissan just as much to put 2 batteries in initially instead of one after the other.
For some reason only Tesla has been able to do the math on batteries.

sosmerc | 4 April 2016

I would like to see either a full sized Van or F150-like vehicle. The van (full size Transit-like) might be the easiest as most people do NOT pull trailers with their full sized vans nor do they expect awesome acceleration or high speed capability. Lots of room under the floor of a Transit or Sprinter for multiple battery packs and the extra weight and low center of gravity might be helpful to keep these rigs stable in high winds. Also, it would be easy to make them AWD...something that is seriously lacking in US available Vans at the moment. I would sign up in a New York minute for a long wheelbase, AWD Transit killer Tesla van.!!

Watt fun | 4 April 2016

The most reasonable guess is that after the Model 3, the Model Y small SUV on the same skateboard as the 3 (but with a hatchback/rear door) and THEN the second generation Roadster, likely also on the 3 skateboard.

I just realized that Tesla goes from SE(3)X to SE(3)XY to SE(3)XYR in deliberate steps.

NateHevens | 4 April 2016

Hi! I'm new! Actual name is Nathan. I'm going to change my forum name to NateHevens...

Anyways...

I like the pick-up truck idea, but I think WJ is right, as well. The pick-up truck is something they would wait on until they're more established, like a decade or so down the line.

As for the whole Ford/Chevy and "sissy truck" thing... I think that really depends on the power, which is what will make a pick-up truck tricky. To quote WJ...

Also a truck is a different animal than a car and requires a lot of engineering that Tesla doesn't have. Making a platform that can tow and hall tremendous loads while still offering rang would be a challenge. Plus it would have to stand up to lots of off road abuse and the Lit-ion pack would probably need more protection. Europeans have not even tried to crack this market and even the Japanese have struggled.

If it were to deliver in the same way that Ford and Chevy deliver in terms of off-roading and power, then it could potentially even outsell Ford and Chevy in the States if for no other reason than the savings due to not using gas. I think Tesla should crack off-roading first, though, before trying to tap into the US pick-up truck market; that is, maybe start by working towards a Wrangler-type vehicle, then go for the pick-up truck if the off-roader is successful...

As for a budget car... I actually like that idea if they can pull it off better than Nissan did with the Leaf. But, again, car companies don't get into the budget market until after they're established. I do actually think Tesla's on the way there with the Model 3, so a budget vehicle is probably inevitable. The question isn't so much if, but when.

It'd definitely be cool to see the Roadster return, as well. Keep the look, but upgrade everything else. That would be very cool.

NateHevens | 4 April 2016

And it looks like the name change worked! It was originally jimmyRRpage, for anyone confused...

jonlivesay | 5 April 2016

No ione has mentioned Elon's idea of a "super car"? Thats coming sooner than later and probably based on S sled. Roadster could be easily done on model 3. And Elon wants s truck, so a truck will happen.

yongliangzhu68 | 5 April 2016

March 30 - Tesla niche compony, March 31 - Tesla major/mainstream car/tech compony. My what a difference a day makes.

WOW this list is getting long for a 2 model compony.

1) Supercar
2) Roadster/Sports (M3 skateboard)
3) MY CUV (M3 skateboard)
4) Coupe/hatch/fastback (M3 skateboard)
5) Truck (all new platform)
6) MS refresh (it is due)

Actually next is trying to figure out how to make 300,000 lit-ion battery packs (that is probably = to about ⅔ of the entire worlds supply this year), lining up OEMs and tooling up for 200,000> unit yearly production run for the old :) M3.

I bet the next 2 years are pretty full even without 1-6.

Remnant | 5 April 2016

@ hugoo4705 (OP, April 3, 2016)

<< Should we expect a new car to be [announced] by 2020? >>

Elon has already mentioned a Model Y, but I don't think anyone has published any of its features to date.