Forums

Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Does anyone know how the Ultra High Fidelity option sounds? I've been trying to look on youtube but only found a demo of the base sound. I'm a big fan of music and always upgrade to premium sound when I buy a car but I want to make sure this one is worth it before I get the base and change it myself. Thank you all!

Haggy | 26 April 2016

The only way you will know is to get in the car and listen to it. But if you want to go by the Model S, the only way you will know is by getting in a car and listening to it compared to one without it.

dee.singh1 | 26 April 2016

Best bet would be to go to a tesla dealership and ask to listen to the difference, current model S or X of course.

TeslaTap.com | 26 April 2016

To do a proper test, bring a USB drive with some select music you like. Best will be music in a lossless format like WAV or Flac. Note that the drive must be formated as FAT32 (not exFAT or NTFS). Most flash drives 32 GB or less should be in this format. You can use larger drives, but they are not normally formatted as FAT32 by default.

From forum posts over the last 3 years, the general consensus is there isn't any. Some owners can't tell any difference, while others think the Ultra system is dramatically better. If you listen to talk radio or highly compressed music like XM radio, I doubt you'll hear much difference.

anthony_merriam | 26 April 2016

I have a friend that has a 2013 with the upgraded stereo and I've listened to it several times. It is nothing to write home about. In fact, the upgraded sound system is really what a base system should sound like--nothing more. It's by far and away the biggest let down of the car. It's the only let down as far as I'm concerned! It is an area that Tesla needs to work on big time. Especially if they want to charge $2500 for the upgrade.

If I remember correctly though, it comes with some features that you would need, or want to have, even if you were intending to further upgrade it yourself. So, it's almost a must have. I too like to have really good sound in my cars. I have every expectation that I will be making my own enhancements to it upon arrival.

Blue85DCalifornia | 26 April 2016

> From forum posts over the last 3 years, the general consensus is there isn't any.

This is true for any vehicle with a sound upgrade option. It's totally personal preference with a huge amount of bias thrown in. Some people will swear the base system is crap, the upgraded system sucks, and only their favorite speaker/amp sound good. (where 'good' for them just means tons of distorted bass)

TeslaTap.com | 26 April 2016

@rklune1 - Do you remember what the source material was? If it was some compressed MP3, streaming, bluetooth or FM radio, I doubt many owners would see a difference. These types of sources already strip out much of the high and low-end quality. Another issue is be sure the Dolby is turned off. It often distorts the sound as it attempts to convert stereo to 5 channel.

Mike83 | 26 April 2016

Well worth it.

Cesg12290 | 26 April 2016

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I will definitely check it out in person and will most likely get it lol! I was looking at a youtube video and I wasn't too sure if I heard correctly that they redesigned it after 2014. If they haven't, I really hope they do by the time the 3 comes out =P