Forums

Didn't order or pay for the Towing Package, but my X has it anyway

Didn't order or pay for the Towing Package, but my X has it anyway

I ordered only the accessory hitch, but they gave me the 2" receiver so I pulled the panel off underneath the car and I have the towing package complete with the electronics harness. How do I check to see if I have the tow mode software component? Anyone else get it thrown in?

eric.zucker | 30 May 2016

It may be cheaper for Tesla to include the same hardware in both cases. You can have the plug tested to see if it's functional.

darlin | 30 May 2016

Very cool. I did not get the P, but I got active spoiler anyway.

I have heard that the non P models now all have fixed spoilers.

So I got mine at a good time. It was flawless in fit and finish, being after the bugs were worked out, but before the fixed spoiler. I love this thing.

I have not hooked up the 2" receiver yet, may try that this week and try the bike rack out.

carlk | 30 May 2016

Sounds like Tesla gave early production cars some goodies because that's easier for them to do in the beginning. That's great for you guys. Timing is everything.

aesculus | 30 May 2016

The only thing that has not been confirmed is how much you can tow with it. When we got our car on March 24th, the PS told us it was limited to 3500 lbs. He may have just pulled that comment out of the air though.

Yes the active spoiler and tow hitch were two nice freebies, especially the spoiler. Now give me the rumored hidden 100 kwh battery upgrade and I am all set. :-)

lilbean | 30 May 2016

I got it thrown in too and was told it was limited to 2500 lbs.

elguapo | 30 May 2016

I wish they had thrown in Ludicrous for me. Love the car either way though.

speyerj | 30 May 2016

Sort of a quiet middle finger to those of us (early buyers) who bought the tow package if we would have gotten it anyway.

lilbean | 30 May 2016

@elguapo: haha. That would be nice!
@speyerj: Don't look at it that way, the tow capacity is limited.

carlk | 30 May 2016

People can always look at things the negative way. Two negatives do not equal one positive. Not only that I paid "P" for retractable spoiler but I also paid $750 for dark ash that is now free. I made the decision for the best car I like can't blame Tesla for what I decided to do. Tesla does not serve me as the only customer.

lilbean | 30 May 2016

Maybe it was our gift for being beta testers. Yay! Totally worth it!!! :-D

dleidy | 30 May 2016

If you have 22" wheels, the low profile tires restrict towing to 3,500 lbs. Otherwise it is 5,000.

dleidy | 30 May 2016

How do I know if I have the towing software package?

lilbean | 30 May 2016

@dleidy: thank you! So glad I got that thrown in, amongst other things. Oh my goodness, I love Tesla!!!

vperl | 30 May 2016

I suspect, some would complain if they found a one hundred dollar bill stuck under their foot as they walked, complainting why there was only one bill !

instead of a half a dozen!

elguapo | 30 May 2016

@vperl Will you complain if they throw in a 6th seat? Hey, it's a $3,000 value!

darlin | 30 May 2016

@dleidy, there is a tow mode in the controls section.

Polybius | 30 May 2016

makes sense to me, OTA Upgrade packages.

vperl | 30 May 2016

Would ask only to have what I ordered, nothing more.

Do no want anything to do with the third row, crumb snatchers

pvetesla | 30 May 2016

It may have the connections but not the increase strength structure to pull. Be careful. That's a great way to void a warranty.

But if it has the "tow mode" I say you're good to go. My guess is you don't.

Redmiata98 | 30 May 2016

You probably got my towing receiver! I have the tow package and a due out on the receiver. Oh well, I am sure I will be geting mine "soon" or so.......

PixelatedEngineer | 30 May 2016

@speyerj, I wish for you the blessings of contentment and an abundance outlook - wherein you can feel simple happiness for someone else's good fortune.

jdonovan | 31 May 2016

This slightly off topic but we didn't order the automatic front doors and bio weapon defense mode package (for an extra 4k), but we got the automatic doors anyway.

Question: does that mean we might also have the bio weapon defense mode filter hardware since they were offered as a package?

Also we didn't order the active spoiler on our 9th but got it anyway.

jdonovan | 31 May 2016

Make that 90 D.

MicTheCat | 31 May 2016

Careful. Don't mention that to Tesla. Just noticed that a new update took away active spoiler. Maybe they can pull out the tow and BWD mode as easy ;-)

lilbean | 31 May 2016

It's possible. But I just heard after the software update, the spoiler is no longer active.

jdonovan | 31 May 2016

We got the software update last night and I just checked this and, yes, the active spoiler is still active.

lilbean | 31 May 2016

That's good news.