Forums

VW plans for $11 billion gigafactory: desperate to catch Tesla

VW plans for $11 billion gigafactory: desperate to catch Tesla

http://www.plasticsnews DOT /article/20160602/NEWS/160609910/vw-mulls-11-billion-battery-cell-plant

VW need to produce 1 million EVs across the range by 2025.
Didnt I hear that from TM also?

Ross1 | 4 June 2016

you win some you lose some, that filter

Al1 | 4 June 2016

Except for Tesla Gigafactory has already started some production, while VW has not made any decisions yet.

Battery production is expensive, with costs estimated currently at around 200 euros ($223) for each of the 40 kilowatt-hours needed to power a conventional electric car.

Seems pretty high.

This could change once dedicated electric cars roll off Volkswagen's modular MEB platform, a cost-optimized architecture under development for 2019.

Earl and Nagin ... | 4 June 2016

After Martin Eberhart and Elon Musk parted ways leaving Musk to run Tesla, Eberhart took a position at VW. That didn't last long but clearly, VW has made a few attempts to get on the right track in the past, they just tend to retreat to the wrong path quickly again.
I hope they actually get on the right track again. I know some diehard VW beetle drivers who finally gave them up for $75/month FIAT500e leases if that's any indication of the need for them to get on the EV bandwagon.

nightwolf9ss | 4 June 2016

I would love a electric VW Beetle but we should not forgive conventional manufactures so easily for not doing anything to stop car pollution.

Dramsey | 4 June 2016

Conventional manufacturers have done a tremendous amount to reduce car pollution. A modern car emits only a fraction of the pollutants of earlier cars.

Drdpharris | 4 June 2016

@Dramsey. -- While that is true, it was achieved under duress from government regulations. They (appear) to be doing everything in their power to resist this. Their alternate energy vehicles (appear) to be the very least they can do to be compliant to the regs. Hardly inspirational.

Dwdnjck@ca | 4 June 2016

Nightwolf9ss ---Electric VW Beetles are available thru Zelectric Motors in San Diego. They do restoration/conversions for about $55,000

Ross1 | 4 June 2016

A guy here in Tas, AUS has converted a classic beetle to electric, by himself.

Hey, are you reading this?

nightwolf9ss | 5 June 2016

Dwdnjck@ca I'm in Europe, I thought about converting a old car to EV but unfortunately it's very hard and costly, for now that is..... this is where govt should give incentives not to buy new.

@Drdpharris in Europe conventional manufacturers have fiercely fought Govt to not introduce Euro1-6 emission standards which are bullshit anyway,

Al1 | 5 June 2016

Conventional manufacturers have done a tremendous amount to reduce car pollution. A modern car emits only a fraction of the pollutants of earlier cars.

They certainly have to do much more. There will be no reason to put up with air pollution very soon.

Al1 | 5 June 2016

As soon as electric cars become affordable.

sp_tesla | 5 June 2016

"Dwdnjck@ca | June 4, 2016
Electric VW Beetles are available thru Zelectric Motors in San Diego. They do restoration/conversions for about $55,000"

Range, 0-60?

Watt fun | 6 June 2016

Hmmmm....I do not think that $55,000 conversions of VW Beetles quite manage to qualify as 'affordable' quite yet. Trend setting, retro cool, cute niche product--yes. Affordable, not quite.

vperl | 6 June 2016

When VW, sticks a shovel in the ground to build a battery factory, post it. Until then, it is like all the others, smokey news.

David N | 7 June 2016

Talk is cheap

Ross1 | 7 June 2016

so are derogatory posts

dansplans | 26 June 2016

There are a couple huge factual errors in the article. Intentionally misleading?

One is that Germany has no Li-ion battery cell production. Daimler may have abandoned direct involvement but the production facilities are up and running and doing quite well.

The other error appears to be the last bit. It implies that Tesla will only ever import cells made by Panasonic.

carlk | 26 June 2016

@Drdpharris | June 4, 2016
"@Dramsey. -- While that is true, it was achieved under duress from government regulations. "

They always fight those regulations as hard as they could with the argument that it will cost too much so people will not be able to afford a car. Funny thing is cars are much cleaner now and people are still buying them. In the 80' when every US company lead by GM lobbied hard against the new emission standard it was Honda that just figured out a way to make an engine that will meet the emission standard by clever engine design to shut down that argument. This time around it's Tesla that is demonstrating to those corporate morons that it's not that it can't be done it's just you did not know how to, or did not want to, do it.