Forums

Which interior choice?

Which interior choice?

I'm having trouble deciding what interior combination to choose. Tesla doesn't offer the choice I would have picked, which is grey leather, so I'm having to settle on a compromise. I'm going to change to the MC red exterior and I want the light headliner, so my choices are between black and tan leather seats. What do you think?

burdogg | 18 January 2017

Black over tan - that is just me, I don't care for the look of tan :) I love the white seats though - reason for the light headliner? The black does not make it look dark. I can give you pics of white with black interior if you would like, just let me know. (Not trying to make you get that, I just really like the white seats :)

Triggerplz | 18 January 2017

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so you need to chose what you think looks the best :-) my MX and seats are black, btw don't listen to Burdogg he's gonna have you with white seats and that "Priceless" blue :-)

"Choose"

campusden | 18 January 2017

It depends, Where do you live? I live in Florida. I won't own a vehicle with black leather interior ever again if avoidable.

MasterT | 18 January 2017

I only lived and currently live in hot climates and would never get black seats - never. The heat penalty is just so tremendous that it negates any and all benefits black colors brings.

I too wanted light headliner but after looking at various configurations in person, easily forfeited that wish. I find light headliner is not practical for the X because of the falcon door switch located on the pillar - it will (and most test drive cars are) pretty dirty. The doors themselves, when opened up do not have the traditional support conventional doors provide for ingress and egress - but passengers wills till would want to grab onto something and that something will be either seats, pillars, or headliner.

I also wanted tan leather seats but, again, after examining in person and examining actual Tesla seats that are a couple of years old, decided against them (too wrinkly for my taste) for synthetic white.

Why dont you visit your closest service or sales center and examine various configs in person? That would be the only sure way for you to make a decision you will not regret.

Tesla referral code: get $1,000.00 off of your Tesla by using my referral link (http://ts.la/val2313)

ah Trigger - I was at least being nice not mentioning his choice of Red :) I have nothing against the black seats and if white was not offered, i would go with that, but I like the feel and look of the white (supposedly they say the white is a touch softer than the leather, I don't know, haven't tested the two side by side)

But like I said and Trigger said - we all have opinions, and in straight color taste, you really need to see them - hence why I offered to take pictures if you like. I am sure Trigger can take pictures of his as well if you need some comparisons. (At least Pedantic is not here yet to score another for team red :)

Last for those that know what i am talking about - FLAG (classless)

nrelia | 18 January 2017

have one day left in grace period, current choice blue ext and white interior.
Wife is not so sure about blue ext and likes midnight sliver metallic a tab better.

nrelia - I LOVE my blue ext and white interior. But that is my opinion - Trigger, no comment from the peanut gallery :)
Here is a couple pics if you want to take a look of the combo together :)
http://imgur.com/a/kzbUC

jRoGville | 18 January 2017

Thanks for the input. The reason I wanted the light headliner is because I thought otherwise the interior would look too dark. At least that's how it appears from the photos on the Design Studio. But MasterT brings up good points about the light headliner getting dirty and showing it.

burdogg, I hope this doesn't upset you too much but my order, as presently configured, is white seats with blue exterior. I've decided against the blue because the black accents around the wheels and at the windows seem to disappear with that dark blue. I like how they stand out with the MC red and I didn't want to go with a dark color this time. My present Yukon XL is a dark green. I'll grant you that the white seats are striking and that's why I originally chose them. I also like that they're synthetic, but I wear jeans all the time and am concerned about the jeans staining. I've read that they clean pretty easily, but I'm not real good about cleaning, and I'm concerned that they will look messy a lot of time.

I AM in Florida, campusden and MasterT. Though not southern, still gets just as hot here in the north central area. I had the same negative thought about black seats, but what about the "Cabin Overheat Protection" feature that turns on the A/C if the temp inside the cabin exceeds 105°? Wouldn't that mitigate the concern with the black seats?

I did go to the Tesla store in Jacksonville, Triggerplz, but nothing really catches my eye, I don't have strong feelings about any of the available choices. What I do feel strongly about, grey leather, is not a choice. But I have to make a choice, so I'm hoping that by reading about what others' thoughts are, it might help me decide.

Beyond preference, any other practical issues to consider, beyond what have already been mentioned?

jRoGville - I don't mind at all - most of the colors etc discussion is pure fun amongst us :) (I'm looking at you Pedantic and Trigger :)

Everyone has what they love and what they really dislike. If you can't see it in person, then pictures are next best thing, which is why I post pictures, not to try to persuade anyone to buy my car :)

The overheat protection as is now - that is the interior cabin - so even at 100 degrees, those seats are going to be hot - especially if they get direct sunlight on them :) (Black that is). But, I don't know as I have not had black leather seats before - but just pointing out the cabin overheat protection is probably not going to help much as it is right now (supposedly in the future, you will be able to set that to whatever temp you want, not out yet though, but...soon ;)

Sorry, can't help you out from there, sounds like you are in a pickle. Good luck. oh and if you want to use my code, blah, blah, blah...yeah, never mind, I don't need to do that - you will use whatever code you want, but please realize some like to spam it, others just want to help regardless :)

If any other questions come up, don't hesitate to ask - there are many good, knowledgeable people on here to help you! :)

Oh and on the dark headliner - I have not felt like it is dark in the car at all - don't forget that the pano glass lets in lots of light. Granted with white seats, the dark headliner really is offset by the bright white seats :) So I personally don't see any problem with your concern on the dark headliner. Anyone else that has the dark headliner confirm or disagree?

Good point on the dark headliner with that pano windshield, burdogg. Going to need to think on that. And a good point too on the sun hitting those seats, again especially with the pano glass. Just a wild guess from the snow on the ground on your photos that you're not in Florida. Actually 105° is not that hot compared to how the cabin would get otherwise without the windows cracked. And I have a feeling that you can't leave the windows cracked in a Tesla. But I don't know how hot those black seats will be even if the air temp is no higher than 105.

PedanticOne | 18 January 2017

I have only sat in the car with the light and dark headliner, and that is what convinced me I wanted a light one. It was just too dark for me, and the light one transforms the car. Yes, I am concerned about it getting dirty, but I'll deal with it.

Black seats will get hot in summer. I've had about 95% black seats in my cars, mostly because either it fit the look, or I didn't like any of the other colors. This will be the first time I've gotten not-black in a long time (I have tan spec'd right now). I like them because they are not overly yellow or dark like other cars I've seen. I do like the white though, but it was too white for me. So I just picked tan. Black also gives the interior no contrast, and after sitting in a black/black MX I was like...uh...no. I like the tan/black contrast, and of course you need red to complete the package. Who wants to ride around in a fat blueberry anyway.

(by 'sat in the car' I mean sat in them at the showroom)

Ah, there you go Pedantic :) Better than blood oozing all over :)

Ok, ok, I don't have anything good to offer on the tan seats - My ford Expedition had them (yep, blue exterior :) and I really didn't care for them - not that others don't mind you - just me. My model S has the grey leather (sorry) with the light headliner - I like it but don't think I would like the look of the cream headliner with tan seats. That is why they don't offer the light headliner with white seats - there is a definite clash between the nice ultra white, and the cream headliner.

For me, and granted I have not tried to pay attention yet, I don't feel like the black headliner with the white seats makes it feel dark - but I am in the drivers seat and I really think that big windshield has a huge effect - you just don't see the headliner a lot from the front seat. Now if you are in the back (i have not sat back there for any length of time) it might - but the white gives contrast (I assume you looked at my pictures link - that has three pictures to it, and if you click on the pictures it will zoom in). I wish others would post pictures like mine so we could see the different schemes. That could help you too. Again, if you want a different picture from say the back seats etc... just let me know, more than happy to take them if it helps you out.

Ultimately, I hope all the input helps you decide exactly what YOU may like (But blueberry, much better than bleeding red - reminds me of surgery all the time :)

Oh and we wear jeans all the time - my wife and I - have not seen any problems yet with stain you talk about, but have only had the car since Dec 22. - I think we are around 700 miles?

Oh, don't mind the kids fighting between Pedantic and I - Pedantic I think is winning the argument we have right now, but I am trying to make a comeback :)

Someone just posted this on Facebook - Now unfortunately it is black seats and black interior, so it does look extra dark. It is red with black interior.
http://imgur.com/a/pARcI

I'm wondering if they will have the MX at the Phila Black Tie auto show next Friday, if so hopefully they will have multiple colors and the MX will get all the attention, I can see them now lined up and FWD's up surrounded by men in tuxedo's and women in gowns. @Burdogg they might even have a "priceless" one I'll let you know. :-)

Of course they will :) But they will also have the "other" ones there too.

What are you still doing up :)

6 pictures of the black on black P90DL experience:-) https://imgur.com/a/YmS1h

I don't mind telling you, burdogg, that I love those white seats. And I can also see the advantage to the dark headliner being less obtrusive as you're looking out the windshield. As I've revisited the white option, I've come to realize that my hesitation is because of the white/black combination on the dashboard and the side trim. I don't know why that is, the whole combination has a great impact, which as I previously mentioned, is what drew me to select it in the original order. It's just one person's opinion.

The paint color was a lot easier, because even when I was originally considering ordering a Model S, the red is what I had chosen. But I backed away from it because I thought it would be too flashy. I finally just gave in to the fact that it was the color that I liked, and I'm getting it, even if it's a little embarrassing. Life is too short and I decided I didn't need to compromise.

All these comments are really helping me a lot. When I don't have a gut feeling about something, I just have to consider different angles until a solution rises to the top. I feel like I'm getting closer, even though I'm not quite sure where that is yet.

Yep it's all in fun I actually think Burdogg MX looks real nice but Shhhhh don't tell him I said so :-)

I waffled between black and tan interior for quite a while. I had pictures of both in different browser tabs and for days (weeks?) I would flip back and forth to look at them. And then I would go to the showroom and look at one car, then the other, back to the first, then the second. I finally gave up and chose tan and haven't felt bad about it. In the end, I don't hold cars for that long, so if I don't like it I won't have to live with it forever.

@T how dare you.

Wow. Triggerplz, that is impressive. It really tells that black or blue, or any other color, these X's will just bowl you over, won't they?

Here is one that burdogg might like. It's what drew me in:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuav84du1cvb0sp/Blue-White.jpg?dl=0

Too tired right now to set up any other photo account for uploading. If you click on "Full Screen", it will show better.

@PedanticOne :-)

@jRoGville That blue with white seats looking Damn good

Last but not less my MX sitting in the garage watching the baseball game with its Mini Fridge, deer park water dispenser , cordless phone, stereo system and its Tesla parking only sign, I think my MX is spoiled :-). https://imgur.com/gallery/U64oE

jRoGville | 19 January 2017

Triggerplz, it must not have liked the game, since it was facing away from it.

Triggerplz | 19 January 2017

It was watching from its review camera:-)

burdogg | 19 January 2017

Very nice! Yeah, that blue is a stunning picture jRoGville. I will say this - if you always wanted red - DO IT! (Don't let Pedantic know I endorsed that!) You don't want to shy away from your desire only to keep thinking later, oh, I wish I would have done the red. I don't think though that you can really go wrong with the exterior color. I love the black too :) (Very nice looking car there Trigger, spoiled too with all the extras and tv to watch :) I also like the new midnight Silver. Yes, red is good too :)

Interior - good luck :)

MasterT | 19 January 2017

@jRoGville , the issue with black seats even with "Cabin Overheat Protection" - they will always be hot in sunshine (summer or winter). Black seats will act as a heating element inside your X and while the overheat protection will cool the air, the seats will still stay hot and re-heat the air again and again. I'm not sure what impact on range black seats will have or how much drop in charge they'll cause if you park in under the sun for full day.

But, that's just mine personal view, and I'm sure there are others who absolutely love the black setas. Nothing wrong with that.

Tesla referral code: get $1,000.00 off of your Tesla by using my referral link (http://ts.la/val2313)

PartyOf5 | 19 January 2017

The blue with white is perfect without a doubt

I ended up taking an inventory car so my wife could have it asap, blue wasn't an option so I did red with tan, also lovely.

Can you put a picture up with the falcon wing doors open - you can go to imgur.com (or just click the link here and then at top there is a green button that says new post. Click on that and then the browse button to upload your pic from your computer. Once it is uploaded to the right, you will see the webb address to copy and then paste here so we can then click on it to see the pic.) This may help the op see the red with tan seats :)
https://imgur.com/gallery/U64oE

Pedantic - looks like you get another score - BUT, at least they wanted the blue :)

PedanticOne | 19 January 2017

FWIW, I just saw a blue w/white on the road coming in to work. Nice!

Not *as* nice. But nice!

Thanks Burdogg

Burdogg the link you posted is my MX watching TV.........https://imgur.com/a/YwCIu

PedanticOne | 19 January 2017

I think he's trolling us.

lol

I know - I was trying to spread the love to more than just MY car ;)

Pedantic - I take that as a compliment :)

jRoGville - SO have you actually put in your order or just trying to get your finishing touches on it?

jRoGville | 19 January 2017

The order is in and confirmed. End of line is scheduled for mid-March. So I figure I have a two or three safe weeks yet?

This has been a fun thread, although I'm still blowing in the wind. Keep swinging between the light tan color might be a cleaning problem or the black leather might be too hot in Florida.

MasterT | 19 January 2017

@jRoGville - congrats with whatever choice you made.

On a side note, I'm curious how ordering timeline works - I confirmed my order on 12/30 but slated for March - Mid April (not that i'm in a rush, and kind of like it further away for a chance to upgrade 100D if that comes out in time)

jRoGville - I would check with your DS on when you need to let him know by for your changes - you may end being surprised at your ability to change - they lock you in a line based on your choices and they will NOT let you change. I would call now and find out. Although - getting stuck with Blue and white is not really getting stuck :)

teslarama | 19 January 2017

@jRoGville..so you are paying $500 for these changes? Can we club multiple changes into one and just pay $500?

@teslarama you can make multiple changes at one time and it's still $500.. But if you call back the next day with another change it's another $500

teslarama | 19 January 2017

@Triggerplz..thank you. I currently have 75D with blue/white combo. I'm thinking of upgrading to 90D and also change the color combo. I'm torn between whether 75D performance is enough or not? I did test drive and it feels ok. Currently I drive Merc E350..it is supposed to be 6.5sec and I hate its torque. But 75D drive felt much quicker even though it is slightly better than 6.5 sec. I'm worried that I might be bored with 75D performance soon. So..I'm thinking of paying extra 10k and go for the 90D? The extra 20 mile range does not make much difference to me.

@teslarama you are welcome, good luck

teslarama - I don't know if you will notice much difference between a 75D and a 90D (I just looked at the times and 1.2 sec difference, you might actually be able to notice) - I may be wrong but I would strongly suggest a test drive with a 90D. I would drive the 90D where you can test it, then take your 75D shortly after to do the same thing and see if you can really tell the difference. That is a lot of money to exchange JUST for the 0 to 60 sec. Of course that is my opinion and if that 0 to 60 is your thing, then you can decide if the loss on the 75D and then more cost for the 90 D is worth it :) The instant torque is going to be great in both.

There is my two cents - and you really are going to get rid of the blue on white combo???

Pages