Forums

With more pollution more Alzheimers

With more pollution more Alzheimers

Mike83 | 1 February 2017

Glad I got the Bio Hazard Filter in my new Tesla/

rxlawdude | 1 February 2017

So Houston should have some of the highest incidences of Alzheimer's?

Mike83 | 1 February 2017

I can think of many jokes but don't want to offend anyone. It is an ugly disease. I recall Ronald Reagan, Glen Campbell among others.

Mike83 | 1 February 2017

I saw a show on Glen Campbell and how he became very angry and lost cognition but was still able to play on his guitar. I am concerned with older people who have power and may not make rational decisions as the disease progresses.

rxlawdude | 1 February 2017

@Mike, the fact you can recall suggests you needn't worry. :-)

And seriously, it is a horrible disease for patients and their loved ones.

Mike83 | 1 February 2017

@rxlawdude No worries. Sometimes recalling the past can be a blessing and a curse. ;-)

SCCRENDO | 2 February 2017

While I am a strong advocate of cleaning up the air I need to say in the interest of good science that these results are pretty preliminary. While I cannot make a case for air pollution being beneficial we don't know whether these rat studies translate into humans. Also many other reasons for the increase in Alzheimer's.

Mike83 | 2 February 2017

We do know that particulates, for example diesel paritucaltes causes strokes. This would lead me to believe plaques in the brain contribute to Alzheimers.
No cure insight as yet.

Mike83 | 2 February 2017

particulates sp.
In any case the Bio hazard Tesla filter is nice to have.

carlk | 2 February 2017

Not sure about this but there is no question how air pollution could hurt you. Does anyone notice there is no more that "old car smell" or grimy film on windshield in your Tesla like in your ICE? Those came from exhaust and burnt oil/fluid sipped into the car. They are sure in you lungs too and I'm pretty sure they don't do you any good. Get rid of that ICE soon!

SCCRENDO | 2 February 2017

Thanks Mike. A good article published in a good journal but still has significant weaknesses because it is a meta-analysis. More selective controlled studies would need to be performed

VicF | 3 February 2017

As a late baby boomer the ties to pollution are a very big warning. Makes me glad I leased the econo box Ford Focus electric until I can afford my Model S or the 3 is available with my early registration. For me this seems to be a better "selling point" to convince a much larger population to buy EV's then global warming

Mike83 | 18 February 2017

In reality most people believe that burning fossil fuels cause global warming. I believe there are over 1 billion cars in the world burning it The US alone burns 140 billion gallons of gas per DAY. 38 billion tons of CO2 emitted in the world in a year. It's the will power to do something that is lacking. Even the fossil fuel companies know it but need to make money. They know the greenhouse effect in the thin atmosphere we live in caused by CO2. I have heard some respected Republicans are calling for a carbon tax but time will tell what happens.
But I intend to keep my side of the street clean. Others have their own conscience to live with.

rxlawdude | 18 February 2017

Hey, perhaps this is fortuitous: those in more polluted areas will simply forget they are killing themselves by breathing.

I wonder if people today have a memory to thinking ability. But health care costs will most certainly rise.

memory or ability to think for themselves. Post error.

compchat | 18 February 2017

One cannot draw any conclusions based on the study of mice especially given the weak design of this so called study. Forget mice. They have very short life spans and very tiny brains. I didn't read it carefully but who knows the dosage and concentrations of the pollutants to which these mice were exposed? Can they truly test dementia in mice ?

The prevelence of dementia is on the rise because our population is aging. The incidence of dementia may not be.

These type of studies are paradigm generators and nothing more. You could do the same study using grey hair with the endpoint and come out with similar results.

compchat | 18 February 2017

@MIKE

To date, no reputable medical body has listed pollution as a risk factor for stroke. If they did it would have enormous implications on litigation of strokes. Look in any medical text book about risk factors for stroke and I doubt you'll find many references to air pollution. Why not forstall a stroke by treating and preventing hypertension, diabetes, elevated cholesterol and cigarette SMOKING.

Sccrendo, what's good about this article ?

compchat | 19 February 2017

Article states:
"Microscopic particles generated by fossil fuels get into our body directly through the nose into the brain. Cells in the brain treat these particles as invaders and react with inflammatory responses, which over the course of time, appear to exacerbate and promote Alzheimer's disease."

Gosh that's odd. The nose is designed to catch these particles before they get into the LUNGS.
How exactly do particles get through the nosepast the brain barrier into the brain ? Through the cribiform plate ?

Makes no sense to me. I've seen countless particle exposures over the years, especially asbestos, and none of these have had increased risk of dementia nor have they found asbestos particles in the brain on autopsy. Were this the case you would expect to see:
Higher INCIDENCE of dementa in fire fighters, factory workers, miners, crop pickers, concrete workers etc. The data just doesn't exist to support this "article's" conclusions.

The sad thing is that the public believes what they read without any critical thinking.

Mike83 | 19 February 2017

Whats your expertise in? Tiny brains? Your opinion is worthless by the way. As you are a Climate Change Denier I believe you follow the scientists who couldn't stand PEER REVIEW so they broadcast in the news which you seem to sway you unless it does not agree with your opinion.
It must be a shock to have to listen to some facts, statistics and successful scientists that disagree with your opinions. Poor boy.

A few links for your viewing pleasure and learning something new. Even an old dog can learn new tricks given time.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/Air-P...

http://www.psr.org/assets/pdfs/air-pollution-effects-nervous.pdf

By the way burning coal increases mercury in the air which as many know destroys the nervous system.

This link lists some particulate sizes and that they can enter the blood stream causing serious problems. Also lung cancer, heart disease strokes, climate temperatures and other factors. A pretty good article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3451142/Are-car-fumes-cau...

My new Model S has the new HEPA filtration system, From Tesla's web page.

Bio-Weapon Defense Mode
Model S now features a Medical grade HEPA air filtration system, which removes at least 99.97% of particulate exhaust pollution and effectively all allergens, bacteria and other contaminants from cabin air. The bioweapon defense mode creates positive pressure inside the cabin to protect occupants.

I like to use it when I travel in cities or agricultural areas especially during hot weather which is becoming common. 2016 the hottest year on record.

SO | 19 February 2017

@compchat - if you don't think mice are a good test case, you better stop using most medications right now and never use them.

You should google on why mice are used for medical research.

The problem with Mike83 and SO-S90D is that they have failed to research the exact topic at hand.

Go read the article and then read the article in circulation on which it was based. I'm not just snotting out of my nose here.

I'm not a climate change denyer. I am interested in analyzing data.

The original article quoted said : "Microscopic particles generated by fossil fuels get into our body directly through the nose into the brain. Cells in the brain treat these particles as invaders and react with inflammatory responses, which over the course of time, appear to exacerbate and promote Alzheimer's disease."

Yet they collected these microscopic particles (and they don't define the size as microscopic is a vague term) with routine particle collectors used to analyze particulates such as indoor dust containing skin cells, pollen, metal particles etc etc ). Were those collectors capable of collecting the particles the article was referencing ? How do the particles get into the Brain ? What evidence do they have that it causes dementia ?

In Circulation a "Rapid communication" published 2002;105;411-414 states " TC-labled ultra fine carbon particles were shown to pass rapidly into the systemic circulation THROUGH THE LUNGS and this proccess could account for the well-established, but poorly understood, extrapulmonary effects of air pollution" (err alzheimers is not one of them).

Now these TC-labled ultra fine carbon particles are medical diagnostic particles sized at <=0.1 micrometers....IOW very tiny. Also the technicium can separate from the particles when inhaled and it is the technicium which is measured on subsequent scanning (not the carbon particle). The radioactivity "reached a maximum between 10 and 20 minutes, and remained at this level up to 60 minutes". If you look at the scan it shows high concentrations of radioactivity in the lungs and bladder (expected with inhaled technetium").

The authors state that the primary particles in diesel aggress range from 10 to 40 nm. They also say that " radioactivity that we measured in blood consists at least partly of particle-bound radioactivity". (Not very reasuring to me that they were actually measuring particulates and not just radioactivity). They do admit that Technegas is used in nuclear medicine for measuring lung permeability.

IOW the original authors claim that particles get deposisted in the brain through the nose based on an article that describes the use of specially designed nuclear medicine gas-particles being absorbed through the lungs into the blood stream. It's comparing apples and oranges...both fruits but hardly taste the same.

They cite absolutely NO evidence that even technegas particles are deposisted in the brain.

And guess what Mike. The "population study" of prevelance you cited has no statsitcal validity (have you taken bio-statistics?) and fails to look at the incidence of smoking cigarettes which IS the major source of inhaled particulates in at least 50 percent of the populations they analyze. It's always interesting that these studies look at groups of people that are exposed to particulates and then compare them to a control population and fail to factor out the confounder of cigarette smoking.

IF particles caused dementia then outlawing cigarette smoking would be the MOST effective methodology of controlling it.

ALSO take the time to examine the references in this article (linked in blue). For instance when they say that air pollution may cause dementia and the terms dementia and air pollution are linked to other sites those sites are just definitions of dementia and air pollution. They have no additional value in discerning the science of this study. It's more fake media hysterical nonsense.

Now is it possible that particulates cause dementia. Yes it is. Has it been proven. NO it has not. Even Screendo admits to that.

Oh, and here's the funniest part of the original article. It was published in "Psychiatry". OH and then they go on to admit that it proves nothing and that results from animal studies are often not reproduced in humans.

The research was published Jan. 31 in the journal Translational Psychiatry.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If their findings were extended to include the general population, the study's authors calculate that air pollution might be to blame for about 21 percent of all cases of dementia.

The research comes with several caveats. First, it did not prove that air pollution causes the risk of dementia to rise. Second, studies involving animals frequently fail to produce similar results in humans.

So inhale that for a while MIKE83 !!

SCCRENDO | 19 February 2017

Air pollution is definitely not good for you. Indeed many of the links posted suggest potential association with stroke and heart disease. But many are observational. Much as I hate to say it I tend to agree with @compchat that the science is not as yet a slam dunk. Certainly this is not something for deniers to hook onto and claim no link because I am certainly concerned about a potential link.

Your free to believe anything but connecting the dots is sorely lacking in your conclusions The nitpicking of one article to slam all the evidence is typical of the non-science crowd.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/brain-pollution-evidence-builds-d...

Some data and physical evidence for those who can read and connect the dots.

Good journal and highly suggestive but again not a slam dunk. And I quote from the article
"The link between air pollution and dementia remains controversial—even its proponents warn that more research is needed to confirm a causal connection and work out just how the particles might enter the brain and make mischief there. But a growing number of epidemiological studies from around the world, new findings from animal models and human brain imaging studies, and increasingly sophisticated techniques for modeling PM2.5 exposures have raised alarms. Indeed, in an 11-year epidemiological study to be published next week in Translational Psychiatry, USC researchers will report that living in places with PM2.5 exposures higher than the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) standard of 12 µg/m3 nearly doubled dementia risk in older women. If the finding holds up in the general population, air pollution could account for roughly 21% of dementia cases worldwide, says the study’s senior author, epidemiologist Jiu-Chiuan Chen of the Keck School of Medicine at USC."

Finch says, “I think [air pollution] will turn out to be just the same as tobacco—there’s no safe threshold.”

The conclusion.

@Mike. Agreed. But we are not there yet

Quoting an article from the "Journal of Translational Psychiatry" has no force of legitamacy or merit. Now were it in the New England Journal of Medicine then it would perk my interest.

Finch may think a lot of things...doesn't make them fact. Try telling a patient with early Alzheimers Dementia that he got it because of Air Pollution. I assume you are a physican Mike83 ? If you can't do that then perhaps you should do some more research on the topic.

Sccrendo hates agreeing with me that's why he's not calling you out on your lack of scientific rigor.

Also Sccrendo, try and find the actual evidence for a causative link between air pollution and strokes. It isn't there either. What you'll find is population studies in various cities and the use of proxy exposure concentrations and ignoring confounders like cigarette smoking and using standardized mortality rates with information from death certificates, etc. adnausem. All poor scientific rigor.

EVEN more interesting reasons to legalize cannabis.

Front Neurosci. 2017 Feb 2;11:30. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00030. eCollection 2017.
Cannabinoid Receptor 2 Signaling in Neurodegenerative Disorders: From Pathogenesis to a Promising Therapeutic Target.
Cassano T1, Calcagnini S2, Pace L1, De Marco F3, Romano A2, Gaetani S2.
Author information

Abstract
As a consequence of an increasingly aging population, the number of people affected by neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease, is rapidly increasing. Although the etiology of these diseases has not been completely defined, common molecular mechanisms including neuroinflammation, excitotoxicity and mitochondrial dysfunction have been confirmed and can be targeted therapeutically. Moreover, recent studies have shown that endogenous cannabinoid signaling plays a number of modulatory roles throughout the central nervous system (CNS), including the neuroinflammation and neurogenesis. In particular, the up-regulation of type-2 cannabinoid (CB2) receptors has been found in a number of neurodegenerative disorders. Thus, the modulation of CB2 receptor signaling may represent a promising therapeutic target with minimal psychotropic effects that can be used to modulate endocannabinoid-based therapeutic approaches and to reduce neuronal degeneration. For these reasons this review will focus on the CB2 receptor as a promising pharmacological target in a number of neurodegenerative diseases.

KEYWORDS:

compchat | 20 February 2017

Or, Sccrendo, perhaps alzheimers is caused by age related decrease in sex steroid hormones which would be right up your alley ! Any comment on this study or others you might know about?

Alzheimer's disease (AD) is an age-related neurodegenerative disorder for which there are no effective strategies to prevent or slow its progression. Because AD is multifactorial, recent research has focused on understanding interactions among the numerous risk factors and mechanisms underlying the disease. One mechanism through which several risk factors may be acting is inflammation. AD is characterized by chronic inflammation that is observed before clinical onset of dementia. Several genetic and environmental risk factors for AD increase inflammation, including apolipoprotein E4, obesity, and air pollution. Additionally, sex steroid hormones appear to contribute to AD risk, with age-related losses of estrogens in women and androgens in men associated with increased risk. Importantly, sex steroid hormones have anti-inflammatory actions and can interact with several other AD risk factors. This review examines the individual and interactive roles of inflammation and sex steroid hormones in AD, as well as their relationships with the AD risk factors apolipoprotein E4, obesity, and air pollution.

Copyright © 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:
Air pollution; Alzheimer’s disease; Apolipoprotein E; Estrogen; Inflammation; Obesity; Testosterone

compchat | 20 February 2017

So my new prescription for people with early Alzheimers dementia should be:
1. Avoid air pollution
2. Loose weight
3. Stop smoking
4. Take sex hormones

And, of course, Drive a Tesla with the biodefense boad activated !

Bighorn | 20 February 2017

+1 compchat

Mike83 | 20 February 2017

That we can agree on.

This article points even more to the association of pollution and the initiation of amyloid plaque formation in HUMANS if you don't like mice studies. "air pollution exhibit chronic inflammation and acceleration of Alzheimer's-like pathology, suggesting that the brain is adversely affected by pollutants."

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01926230490520232

People can ignore these findings and say "oh no it isn't so" but I my theory seems more likely but doing human experiments with control groups is not easy or perhaps ethical. Yet the studies done thus far point to the dangers of air pollution.

Why would one want to increase air pollution unless it is done for economic reasons anyway.

Observation, questions, hypothesis, testing, prediction, replication of experiments can be influenced by individual bias. This is why peer review by experience scientists is the only way to get subjectivity. Thus any opinions or just that with; personnel opinions.

sorry, correction auto correct; subjectivity NOT the goal; OBJECTIVITY and that ain't easy.

My voice to text is not working accurately this am. sorry for the errors.
Clarification. Peer review and acceptance for publication is rigorously examined by experienced scientists eliminating personal bias. Furthermore many try to be successful scientists but fail due to lack of rigor, ego or monetary influences and may become employed by those interests who profit from skewed results. We have seen this with cigarettes and fossil fuel burning causing Climate Disruption.

SCCRENDO | 20 February 2017

@compchat. Relationship between sex steroids and Alzheimer's is also likely but not conclusive. There was a recent article in fact disputing it. These are very difficult studies and usually rely on observational data to make decisions. The rise in Alzheimer's is likely mostly due to people living longer and dying less from heart attacks and strokes. I would credit statin use as the major breakthrough. If you don't die from heart attacks or strokes you have to die from cancer or Alzheimer's etc.

The studies are certainly interesting and suggestive that air pollution may have an additional influence but I agree it is not the prime cause and the data is not conclusive. That being said it would be foolish to encourage air polluttion because we know that it is harmful to public health in many other ways. Until someone can show a well designed study showing air pollution benefits the health of society the prudent approach is to get rid of pollutants.

Bighorn | 20 February 2017

I'm not sure why it's been stated here that rates of dementia are going up when it's been reported the exact opposite is occurring.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/21/health/dementia-rates-decline/

That is not what was said.

But you got me thinking. Reduced emissions and EPA safeguarding may have helped in the past. When pollution increases health effects may have the same adverse effects as the data suggests from the heavily polluted regions
Now we'll have a real experiment on humans.

Also just because a government wishes to ignore the facts liabilities will not go away.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-climate-bombshell-the-politicians-did...

rxlawdude | 20 February 2017

@compchat, HHS has a patent on cannabinoids' neuroprotective effects.
Yes, the same federal government that says "no legitimate medical use" for cannabis.

compchat | 21 February 2017

@ Bighorn,

Good question. I think the confusion is by using the terms "incidence" and "prevalence" interchangeably. Basically prevelance defines the number of cases of Alzheimers per year (old and new). Incidence is corrected for the number of NEW cases per time frame. So it is certainly possible because of the aging population that the number of total cases of Alzheimers is increasing while the number of new cases/population at risk are decreasing.

I think that's the same reasoning used in redefining the diagnosing the diagnostic critera for diabetes. The prevelance keeps increasing in part because the definition of diabetes is becoming less stringent ( e.g. lower fasting glucose).

I'd have to pull out my biostatistics book to give better definitions and examples. I'm sure Scrrendo will correct me.

Mike83 | 21 February 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/21/long-winded-speech-could...

This link is important. Diagnostic confirmation of Alzheimer's called MCI may be helpful for treatment as currently there is none. Login winded with linguistics could help and yes psychological studies are used. People as young as 19 get it.

Pages