Forums

Worst experience

Worst experience

So, both the keyfobs of my 2 week old Tesla are dead. Poof.. just like that. Luckily I can use my app to drive around. I call my contact person at service center and he promises to get it sorted out "the first thing in the morning". No response.. text him a again. Promises to get back to me by the end of the day and again, no response.

I owned an Acura before this. 5 years later, I had to replace the FOB battery. And this..

Bighorn | 8 May 2017

Did you try new batteries?

SO | 8 May 2017

Seems odd both keyfobs died at the same time. Sounds like it could be the receiver in the car.

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

Bighorn, it's been 2 weeks. I had not even used the other battery

SO | 8 May 2017

http://www.teslamotors.wiki/wiki/Q:_What_happens_if_the_battery_is_dead_...

Also, don't keep your keyfobs near the car when not driving. Otherwise that does drain the keyfobs quicker.

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

Thanks, the other keyfob was 2 floors upstairs. Now, this could be a problem with the receiver. Can this be fixed "over the air"?

Bighorn | 8 May 2017

Sounds suspicious--mine have lasted almost two years now. How do you know they are dead? Did you check the voltage on the batteries?

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

Oh by the way, I discovered the problem when I was showing off how the door handles comr out when the keyfob is around the car... now my friend is not sure if he will buy one.

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

None of the functions on the keyfob work. The car does not even recognize the keyfobs when inside the car

SO | 8 May 2017

Well...I have had my car since Feb and has been great. Some people are bound to have issues. I have had to take my other vehicle in for recalls 3 times. No car manufacturer makes perfect cars.

If your friend is that quick to discount the car, too bad for them. Their loss.

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

I agree and I could'nt care less what he thinks but am I wrong to expect better experience from a $100k car? It seems like everyone is so enamoured by this tech (including me) that people are willing to overlook many a foibles..

jfemd.va.us | 8 May 2017

Easy to replace the battery yourself. Be careful prying the bottom part of the key fob open...the part that says "Model S" is pried off with a small metal object or even a plastic toothpick. The battery is a CR 2032 3V that you can get just about anywhere. If you replace the battery and it still doesn't work, likely the receiver. I would also reboot both screens. Good luck; your problem is an exception, not the rule with Tesla.

SO | 8 May 2017

Maybe the keyfobs are fine but somehow got "disassociated " with the car. Not sure how. Hopefully Tesla can resolve. You should call again.

Also, be careful using the app to drive your car. If you end up in an area where AT&T coverage is poor, your car cannot connect to the Internet and therefore your phone cannot unlock/drive it. Your phone connects to your car via the Internet and Tesla servers....not Bluetooth for unlocking/driving.

SO | 8 May 2017
ST70 | 8 May 2017

@Pittesla- when you say "now my friend is not sure if he will buy one" you lose credibility that your story is true...how far are you from a SC? Take it there....

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

ST70, when you spend serious money, little issues like this does matter to some people.. SC is only 30 miles away but this week is so hectic, it's impossible to get out before 7 form me

SO_S90D.. you answered my next question, thanks! Mine is entirely a urban commute so, should not be a problem but will call them again tomorrow.

tes-s | 8 May 2017

Did you try rebooting? Not likely to help, but worth a try.

Driving around startihg the car with the app is risky - don't turn the car off where there is no cell service!

Jasper75D | 8 May 2017

Jfemd.va.us.. thanks for the assurance.. i searched for my problem on google and it seemed like every other driver has dealt with this. I hope this will be resolved soon. Just felt like I had to vent..

sklancha | 8 May 2017

That is pretty strange for neither fob to work- though that did also happen to us a few days after we picked up our Nissan Leaf (and we didn't have the benefit of the app). Hopefully it is just the battery. Let us know if it is something different.

ST70 | 8 May 2017

You could have driven to the SC by now...just saying...BTW my main fob battery lasted a little over a year and my backup is still good.

"i searched for my problem on google and it seemed like every other driver has dealt with this" OK so 100K owners are dealing with this right now....crap! the SC's are going to be very busy replacing batteries....shit my battery just exploded as I'm typing this....damn Tesla!

douglasstuckey | 8 May 2017

Pittesla, when you comment on this problem others can give their experience, which is sometimes helpful. I would not be happy in your position, but my experience is that I have had mine for two years and the fob still works OK.
Tesla have been very proactive in fixing problems for me, so taking it up at the Service Centre would be a good idea. Some of my Tesla mates have also shared your fob problem so you are not alone.
Would be great to see your fobs fixed and posted back on the Forum. I ❤️ TESLA

tpham07 | 8 May 2017

"now my friend is not sure he will buy one" so one-off freak events like this and people are suddenly not gonna buy this car? lets just ignore the 192,000+ other Model S on the road without ghost keyfob issues.

MoCowbell | 8 May 2017

Wow, you are a lucky guy if not getting called back for 2 days is the "worst experience" of your life! That's amazing!

carlk | 8 May 2017

ST70 +1 Exactly my thought when I read that too.

J.T. | 9 May 2017

@Pittesla If you are wondering why most of the responses haven't been, "OMG! That's awful!! This is unacceptable and it should never happen. TYesla better make this right, right away."

It's because your post sounds like this to me:

My key fobs both died.

Did you check the batteries?

I spent $100,000 on the car, I shouldn't have to check the batteries.

End scene.

Anthony J. Parisio | 9 May 2017

Ridiculous!

dborn @nsw.au | 9 May 2017

Have you phoned service help? This should be expedited and the service line may be able to do that for you. They certainly do in Australia, and our service line is based in the Netherlands!!

mark.manner | 9 May 2017

Before wasting anymore time, just change both batteries.

Silver2K | 9 May 2017

Buy batteries and now your car cost you $100,002.00.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/my-battery-pack-fell-my-car-and-te...

georgehawley.fl.us | 9 May 2017

There is a reference to a video about changing the battery in the fob in the Owner's manual companion thread.

jordanrichard | 9 May 2017

Also BTW, your car was $100,000 because you chose to option it out that way. The key FOB on your "$100,000 car is the same exact one for the $70,000 version.

trixiew | 9 May 2017

I smell a rat.

Pungoteague_Dave | 9 May 2017

What is the point of this post?

Reboot and get some spares!

- Mclary

lilbean | 9 May 2017

Sounds like buyer's remorse.

Silver2K | 9 May 2017

sounds like someone gave the butler the wrong day off.

Boonedocks | 9 May 2017

Be sure and empty your pockets before tossing your jeans in the clothes washer!!!

Tropopause | 9 May 2017

FOB Full Of Bull$h!t

Haggy | 9 May 2017

It's not realistic to expect that Tesla will make hundreds of thousands of cars and not a single one will have a problem at any time ever under any circumstances. This is a problem I've never heard of before after years of reading this forum and others. It's not as if there was a general problem that Tesla could have fixed but didn't or a defect that Tesla should have seen. Something failed after a couple of weeks that nobody could have predicted, and we don't know what it is. It could be something as simple as a bad batch of batteries. Tesla doesn't make the batteries for the fob. If there were defective ones but they worked when the car was sold, it's not something that Tesla could have prevented. They aren't going to have a battery engineer run sophisticated tests on each fob battery to determine if it might have premature life. and if this isn't a problem that others are seeing, they would have no reason to think they should. Alternatively it could be a matter of something failing that rarely fails, in which case Tesla already did a good job designing it.

If you want a car where you are guaranteed that nothing will ever fail, the closest you can come is one that comes with a warranty.

If you had dozens of others here saying "me too" or if you had even one or two others complaining that Tesla was selling cars with weak fob batteries, then maybe you could make the case that Tesla should have switched to a different brand of fob batteries. But Tesla is not selling a car where people have this problem regularly. They aren't selling cars where owners have it occasionally. They are selling cars where an occasional owner might have the problem very rarely. If you think that's a reason to buy a different car instead, I agree with you. Sell the Tesla and get something else. It's the wrong car for you.

Many of us have friends who would be quite impressed if we ran into this problem. They'd be impressed that we could still get into the car using out smartphones and could drive away. They'd be impressed that we could call a spouse or call Tesla and not only be able to get into the car, but have it enabled remotely so we could drive it without a fob or even a phone with us. They might even be impressed to know that if I got stranded with no phone and the fob didn't work when I was in my car, I could use the car's web browser to contact somebody to enable the car for me so I could drive away.

PhillyGal | 9 May 2017

@Haggy - Perfectly stated!

rxlawdude | 9 May 2017

"Ii searched for my problem on google and it seemed like every other driver has dealt with this. I hope this will be resolved soon."
Well, if your Internet search and comprehension tell you that, there's clearly something wrong. By the way, provide links to your search results. Inquiring minds want to know!

Jeff A | 9 May 2017

"None of the functions on the keyfob work. The car does not even recognize the keyfobs when inside the car"

One test you can try is look up the procedure for turning on and driving your car with a 'dead battery', I know, I know your battery is not dead. However, if some how the RFID chip failed or the receiver in the car is not working, then the dead battery attempt should fail as well.

Place your fob near the 12 volt outlet or in the cup holder near the 12 volt outlet. The car should read that and allow itself to turn on. Just being in the car with a dead battery does not mean the car will recognize it.

croman | 9 May 2017

Or by windshield wiper on passenger side. Trunk driver's side is area where fob will not work.

carlk | 9 May 2017

Boonedocks
"Be sure and empty your pockets before tossing your jeans in the clothes washer!!!"

Good suggestion. People tend to quick blame others for mistakes they committed themselves. Just ask every wife in the world if you don't believe that.

Jasper75D | 9 May 2017

Update. My SC does not think it's dead keyfob as there was no low battery indicator on the screen. And, it's unlikely that both fobs stop working same day. Likely, the fobs may have to be "paired back" with the receiver in the car. Appreciate inputs, Jeff/Croman- will give it a try

sp_tesla | 9 May 2017

Haggy | May 9, 2017
It's not realistic to expect that Tesla will make"

Simple solution would be to provide on & off (manual or automatic) software option!
I would not mind to press the one button average 4 times a day & not be concern with battery dead batteries or replacement for 4-5 years. 24/7 continuous RF is very energy inefficient .

kevin | 9 May 2017

Rather than rebooting, I suggest the eBrake - Power Off from the touch screen. Wait 2 minutes, then press the brake to restart. That procedure removes power from the hardware. That's much more likely to restart a failed receiver than the regular reboots.

But really. change the batteries. It's easy to do and it's basic troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, you'll still have a spare battery around when you need it.

I want to leave a plug for my favorite battery vendor, BatteryBob.com.

kevin | 9 May 2017

BTW, I did have the same problem that the OP reported myself on my Sept. 2016 Model S 60. The car totally refused to recognize the fob and the car wasn't more than a couple of months old. Putting the fob in the tray didn't help. I was away from home and didn't have access to the other fob. I drove with the app. In my case, the problem went away and I never saw it again. I don't recall having to do anything.

kevin | 9 May 2017

Here is my thread from December on the fob not working.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/dont-panic-locked-out-car

Bighorn | 9 May 2017

From the get-go, two dead batteries was an extremely unlikely scenario. i suggested replacing the batteries so the OP would realize he had jumped to a wrong conclusion.

carlk | 9 May 2017

@ sp_tesla "Simple solution would be to provide on & off (manual or automatic) software option!
I would not mind to press the one button average 4 times a day "

You have to get a car first don't you think?

Pages