Forums

Will Model 3 Impact Lexus Sales?

Will Model 3 Impact Lexus Sales?

CleanTechnica's take with a thoughtful article and comparison chart.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/06/02/tesla-model-3-vs-lexus-es-es-hybrid...

carlk | 3 June 2017

Lexus hasn't been doing that well competing with equivalent German brands to beging with. Even with the supposed better reliabilty it still has to compete head to head with Audi, BMW and Merc by lower price. Medel 3 is perceived to be a better car than A4/3 series/C Class. Lexus I believe is a toast.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 3 June 2017

What Lexus sales?

mntlvr23 | 3 June 2017

The Model 3 will impact everyone's sales

Efontana | 3 June 2017

When a company has decided to commit suicide, saving them is an exercise in futility. Better to stand clear and focus on your own domain.

Bluesday Afternoon | 3 June 2017

Combined Audi and Lexus sales were close to 200,000 in 2016. What percentage do you project will swing over to Model 3? I'd guess no more than 20%, if that!

carlk | 3 June 2017

I can't say but even 20% is huge for any car company.

TeslaTap.com | 3 June 2017

I've really liked Lexus in the past, but they do seem on the path to nowhere. No EVs even planned or talked about. Parent Toyota also doing nothing with EVs and still pushing a few hundred hydrogen cars out the door every year. All the more surprising as they had the technology with the RAV4 EV (although the 2nd generation was a Tesla drivetrain/battery). They seem completely clueless as to what is likely to happen in just the next 12 months, let alone 5 years.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 4 June 2017

Simply Red: Once you subtract their SUV sales from those totals, their passenger car sales are rather minimal. And those will suffer tremendously with the coming of Model 3.

Maxxer | 4 June 2017

@mntlvr23
The Model 3 will impact everyone's sales

+1

DTsea | 4 June 2017

They still make Lexus?

Who knew

phil | 4 June 2017

Actually, Lexus global sales last year were 677,000 cars, while Tesla sold 76,000.

I doubt Toyota is shaking in their boots just yet. Maybe someday...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 4 June 2017

The entire Lexus brand was outsold in the U.S. by each of three different Honda vehicles during 2016: Accord, Civic, and CR-V. Tesla should be able to surpass Lexus here by either 2019 or 2020. Most of Lexus' U.S. sales were from the NX, ES, and RX. Basically a stretched wheelbase Camry and a couple of SUVs. Nothing else in the product line sells over 40,000 units per year. Do the Model 3 will absolutely demolish the IS in sales during 2018, and possibly during 2017 too. Ain't nobody scared o' no Lexus!

noleaf4me | 5 June 2017

Yes

noleaf4me | 5 June 2017

Is it just me - or does anyone else find the HUGE hourglass front grille of the Lexus brand as butt-ugly?

noleaf4me | 5 June 2017

Nothing says I'm a backwards inefficient gasser than a HUGE grille....WTF Lexus???

ReD eXiLe ms us | 5 June 2017

SamO: LOL! So many of sections and parts and components of the Lexus LC look good... Then you get to PREDATOR grill, and it's over. Amazes me that so many people complain that the Model ☰ front end is 'too plain'... Yet so few of them go to buy a Lexus IS instead.

tstolz | 5 June 2017

I looked at Lexus ... along with BMW, and MB before buying our MS ... I was really disappointed in the Lexus product ... it didn't seem any better than a Toyota to me.

KP in NPT | 5 June 2017

The new Lexus grill is hideous.

And yes the Model 3 will impact its sales - and every other car in its price range, as well as those avid and below it.

Sleepydoc1 | 5 June 2017

My wife wants another IS, but hates the grill. Somehow I am still having a hard time convincing her the M3 will be far better. She just needs to see it and drive it. 2 M3s on reservation! Loving my MX in Sacto 2 hours from Fremont.

KP in NPT | 5 June 2017

*above about avid.

Sleepydoc, I hope you can sway her. My ICE is a IS. I never want to drive it. It's been driven about 3K miles in the 2 years since we got our Model S. ;)

KP in NPT | 5 June 2017

Gawd. Forgive my typos I'm on my phone - sitting outside so I can't see lol.

phil | 5 June 2017

Hideous is right. I understand they love the giant grille in China...

I have a '98 LS that I love, but with most of their new models, you have to accept some ugliness.

Captain_Zap | 6 June 2017

That front grill is designed to ease us into the hideous look of the fuel cell cars..

Fredbob711 | 6 June 2017

It looks like that car is going to try and eat people... they should use it in the new SyFy show, Blood Drive.