Forums

Electricity generation for a semi-shady location: solar panels versus roof tiles

Electricity generation for a semi-shady location: solar panels versus roof tiles

How do solar roof tiles compare to solar panels as far as energy output? Is there any possibility that the energy generation will be improved in time for less than ideal sun/shade conditions? Our house is on a north facing hill, with neighbors native tall trees nearby.

paynestudios | 14 November 2017

Thanks for any thoughts on this question!

Tesla-David | 14 November 2017

If you are contemplating solar, you should get an evaluation of your roof and potential shading issues by your potential solar provider. They should do this for free. They can get on your roof and give you an estimate on shading effects during spring, summer, fall and winter. They will project your expected annual solar production based on your particular circumstances. I had 13.2 kWh solar system installed in 2012, and have actually done better than the conservative estimates provided by my solar vendor, producing around 13 kWh/year. I have some shading effects on northwest corner of my home, and have solar panels on south (33 panels), west (16 panels), and east (6 panels) facing roof. I can't speak to the roof tile question, but Tesla should be able to address your question, much like my solar panel provider did.