Forums

Sleeping mattress for Model 3?

Sleeping mattress for Model 3?

Anyone here excited to sleep/camp in the back of your Model 3? I'm on the road a lot, driving about 30k miles a year. That means I'm constantly taking naps in my car. Normally, I just recline the front seat. Occasionally, I'll crawl into the back seats, but my legs can never fully extend.

I know Dreamcase has a custom made mattress for the Model S and X (with plans for the Model 3). But their prices are crazy expensive (nearly $900). I'm not sure what justifies the cost, other than knowing that S/X owners can afford it.

Does anyone know of any alternatives? The two problems the Dreamcase seemed to solve were 1) evening out the hump between the folded backseats and the trunk floor by using the case itself as a foundation, and 2) providing a leg support that allows the mattress to extend farther than the edge of the seats, which gives a few extra inches of space to rest your head. I hear the carry case looks and feels premium, as are the sheets and memory foam. A typical air mattress of foldable mattress wouldn't solve these issues as elegantly, though some makeshift solutions can probably work well.

I'm almost thinking of designing my own custom solution, but for 3-4x cheaper than Dreamcase.

If you had a magic wand to be able to sleep comfortably in your car, what would you wish for?

johnmann | 23 December 2017

I also plan on sleeping in the back while traveling and don’t want to spend the time to set up camp. I will just be using my camping mattress since it is comfortable and the back of the Model 3 is reportedly flat.

On a side note I think the thickness of a camping mattress is an accurate indicator of a person’s age. When I was a young fellow I’d sleep right on the ground, then I started using a 1/2 foam pad, then an inflatable pad... I’m not going to mention how thick my current one is.

Garyeop | 23 December 2017

Try this. OutdoorsmanLab Ultralight Sleeping Pad. Fits in Frunk or hidden trunk well. Cheep, and won't take up too many inches of height.

mntlvr23 | 23 December 2017

@johnmann - "I think the thickness of a camping mattress is an accurate indicator of a person’s age". +1

We did a small camper van in Iceland for a week, two summers ago. Would have love to have a thicker pad, but we were pretty near the ceiling to begin with ;)

leo33 | 23 December 2017

@johnman In addition to the thicker pad, I'll need to find a way to wire up the CPAP machine. It's car camping in style.

Rutrow | 23 December 2017

How many miles of range does a CPAP use overnight?

gwolnik | 23 December 2017

A packing and shipping supply store can custom cut pieces of foam, so can an upholstery shop.

Bubba2000 | 23 December 2017

Can the HVAC be turned on while parked? How much power is consumed per hour for cooling and heating? Empty Supercharger site would be great, except with Model 3, these sites may end up being crowded and subject to surcharge.

LA-Fohlen | 23 December 2017

@johnman, I guess I turn into an age in which I need a mattress that even the princess would not feel the pea anymore.

petemelster | 23 December 2017

I could use a normal camping mattress, but I prefer something a little more elegant and custom made for the Model 3. I think that's worth a price premium, but not $900 for Dreamcase. Seeing that normal camping mattress or such are already around $50-150 + some sheets/duvet/pillow ($100) + a Tesla design inspired carry case ($50), I think a reasonable price would be $200-300 for a custom fit Model 3 mattress, sheets, duvet, pillows, and carry case. I'm thinking 6-9" memory foam or something similar to the Purple mattress. Thoughts?

www.dreamcase.eu for comparison.

I'm going to look into manufacturing one myself lol.

Madatgascar | 24 December 2017

Yes, you can leave the heat or AC on all night with the new camping mode, at least in models S and X. It doesn’t take too much power, maybe 20 miles of range? I’ll test this when I get my Model 3.

Camping pads are designed to be lightweight, so they are all very skinny. In my Model S I use a roll-out memory foam mat, 36” x 75”, made by Tempur-pedic, along with I triangular wedge I made to level out the step behind the folded rear seats (you shouldn’t need that for Model 3).

DreamCase looks like overkill, especially since the flat bed of a Model 3 does not need the extra lift sections. A form-fitting self-inflating pad seems like it would be a pretty nice solution.

dyefrog | 24 December 2017

Here's a good thread that links to some products that may work well.
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/model-3-and-camping-a-roadmap.5491/

KP in NPT | 24 December 2017

I’m going to try out my self inflating sleeping pad that we use for backpacking.

Tesla2018 | 24 December 2017

Im surprised that Jaswinder hasnt invented one yet to go with his pop up fishing tent-camoing mode! Catch fish while you sleep!

tomkirkham | 30 December 2017

Can you stretch out completely in a Model 3?

billlake2000 | 30 December 2017

And, can two people sleep in the M3? Comfortably?

charles.a.braun | 30 December 2017

I am 6'1" and can stretch out in the 3's trunk/back seats. 2 skinny folk could certainly snuggle up back there but I don't fit that category.

Madatgascar | 31 December 2017

Here are a couple of pictures of a nice setup with the Tempurpedic twin foam mattress topper in Model 3. It fits like it was made for it!

https://imgur.com/enopily
https://imgur.com/WePqf54

leo33 | 31 December 2017

Looks nice. How does that topper stow? Any photos of that?

Madatgascar | 31 December 2017

@leo33, it folds up and stows in the sub-trunk or frunk:
https://imgur.com/FIv0RcO

Tesla2018 | 31 December 2017

Elon said the pickup will be slightly larger than an F 150 because of something that he is planning. Wonder if it is a queen sized bed that fits into the bed of the truck so that people can sleep in the back once Fully Automatic driving becomes legal. Get in the car and go to sleep and wake up 8 hours later at your destination. Somebody call the My Pillow.com. guy and tell him to stsrt working on mattresses.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 31 December 2017

I figure that a Tesla Pickup Truck will feature 'super singles' at the rear axle instead of actual dually wheels, and have Class III, Class IV, or Class V towing capabilities well beyond those of Ford F-150.

rstrouts | 31 December 2017

Since space is at a premium, I will use either a SeatoSummit 2" insulated air mattress or a durable float(s) I got at a yard sale. There's no need for the SeatoSummit insulation, since it's the back of the car rather than the heat absorbing ground, however, the S2S packs up to just several inches width, height and depth. The float has no insulation but its footprint is larger. Or maybe bubble wrap?

As for overall space, for those who are actually going to use the trunk area for car camping in place of, say, a Class C RV like a RoadTek, shouldn't we also be discussing, in this or another thread, vertical space use to max out the space for extended camping? And accessories, such as lighting, tablet mounts, minimal articulating bed/recliner/seat frame, clothes storage, mini fridges, liners, etc.?

rstrouts | 31 December 2017

Since space is at a premium, I will use either a SeatoSummit 2" insulated air mattress or a durable float(s) I got at a yard sale. There's no need for the SeatoSummit insulation, since it's the back of the car rather than the heat absorbing ground, however, the S2S packs up to just several inches width, height and depth. The float has no insulation but its footprint is larger. Or maybe bubble wrap?

As for overall space, for those who are actually going to use the trunk area for car camping in place of, say, a Class C RV like a RoadTek, shouldn't we also be discussing, in this or another thread, vertical space use to max out the space for extended camping? And accessories, such as lighting, tablet mounts, minimal articulating bed/recliner/seat frame, clothes storage, mini fridges, liners, etc.?

aid000 | 20 August 2018

Millard has decent tri-fold mattress that fits Model 3 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ8HWBU/
78" x 38" x 4"

Don_Cheng | 16 December 2018

I sleep on Coleman SupportRest Elite Air Bed in my Model 3, I looked at the sizes on http://bestairmattresseshub.com. This is a small mattress, and sleep well in the car.

lilbean | 16 December 2018

Xped Duo Mat

adamclap1 | 17 January 2019

For three or four years, I've slept with my wife in the back of our land rover camping. It's comfy and nice but I've learned.

*Memory foam gets rock hard in colder temperatures, making it really difficult to roll out or fold up and to sleep on.

*Air beds are great in moderate temperature - in cold climates they get really, really cold and miserable sleeping on. Your body just can't displace all that cold air in the bed by warming it up and insulating the top with a sleeping bag works OK but not great. In moderate temperature, airbeds are fine inside the rig. Still, yes you do feel every movement from each person.

I use an exped mega mat at this point. Learn more here https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-foldable-mattress/

bddaughe | 17 January 2019

Are there any concerns about this warning in the user guide?

"Caution: To avoid damage, never load
more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear
load floor (above the lower trunk
compartment)"

I realize the weight would be distributed on a mattress, but just curious if this could cause an issue?

andy.connor.e | 17 January 2019

Most of your weight is in your Torso. So would imagine that weight would be on the back folded seats and towards the extreme back of the trunk. That warning sounds like its coming from weight actually breaking the floor part that covers that bottom removable part with the adapters and such.

And just from my own thinking/common sense, the floor of the trunk is probably not made out of steel.

coleAK | 17 January 2019

Exped megamat. We have two megamat 10 and four megamat 7.5. I used a 7.5 for 9 months the last time I was deployed. They sleep as good as a mattress. A little on the heavy side for backpacking but I’ll even carry the extra weight. I would bet one of the sizes would fit in the 3 with the seats down.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats

httran26 | 17 January 2019

To turn on HVAC, I usually power the car off first (Safety & Services > Power Off button) then use the app to turn on climate control. This way everything else is off.

I think it uses about 6 miles/hour. YMMV.

coleAK | 17 January 2019

As per app the comments about weight on compartment cover in the trunk. I would sleep with head toward the front, so upnhill. And unless your pushing 350lbs+ the bottom half of your legs and feet aren’t going to come close to 130 lbs.

holgerv | 17 January 2019

This one here fits with the seats moved forward. 77 inches long for the L.
Rolls up nicely, then self inflates.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018APB3TI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_titl...

rmfpdx | 17 January 2019

Picked up a Versamat pad at Costco for $39.99, used it on our road trip thru OR, CA, and AZ last month. Fits and worked perfectly for comfortable napping while supercharging on the road. Folds up in 3 parts.

jennifermontgomery84 | 6 August 2019

@Tesla2018,
Have you seen the bathroom medicine cabinet commercial for the My Pillow? Mike Lindell, the inventor, is a stalker and voyeur in that commercial.

He shows up unannounced and inside that couples bathroom in the morning. He must have obtained a key to their place and the code to their security alarm before waiting overnight for the perfect time to watch that lady undressing and showering.

Whomever greenlit that commercial should be either demoted and retrained or fired.

bddaughe | 6 August 2019

@jennifermontgomer84, wow that's an interesting perspective! Haha, I find most of the mypillow commercials really annoying to be honest.

radiocamp | 30 March 2020

These dimensions are a perfect fit, though I haven't tried it. Similar to Exped but at a lower price.

REI Co-op Camp Dreamer XL Self-Inflating Deluxe Bed -- https://bit.ly/3axDbwy