Forums

What watt hours per mile are you getting on your Model 3?

What watt hours per mile are you getting on your Model 3?

The model 3 is rated at 241 watt hours per mile, if I am doing my calculation right (75,000 watt hours divided by 310 miles).

In my driving so far, which has not been aggressive, I've been averaging more like 300 watt hours per mile. This means that my range is only 250 miles. Admittedly, in LA there's always lots of stop and go traffic, so I was not expecting to hit any sort of ideal. Regenerative breaking is on though.

Is this an an unusual spread relative to the EPA estimate? Are others getting better mileage and if so, what might the reason be?

This is my first Tesla and my first electric car,

MarylandS85 | 8 May 2018

@ravis
Your back-of-the-envelope calculations jive grossly with real world driving. I love it when engineering, physics, and/or other numbers-savvy types start driving EV’s. You bring welcome expertise to our collective experience. Thank you.

slasher0016 | 8 May 2018

Thanks lil, I'll probably get some crystalline sometime soon. Don't want to give up my car for a half a day yet as I haven't had it for a week yet though! To actually answer the OPs question, for about 400 miles I have averaged 249. But a lot of that is spirited driving! I suspect once I start driving more normally, i'll be right in the 235-240 range (I generally drive above speed limits.)

ravisundaramam | 8 May 2018

2MarylandS85 | May 8, 2018: Thanks.

When it comes to the benefits of electric cars, you aint seen nothin' yet, for the general public.

The regenerative braking reduces the brake wear so much, it is 125,000 miles between brake jobs!

No oil changes!

How trouble free are the electric motors? In the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington PA I saw a photograph of two young Eastern European mechanics with the caption, "The traction motor wound by xyz brothers went into service in 1927, and was never unwound for maintenance till the trolley car was scrapped in 1985" (Paraphrased, pardon the inaccuracies). All through the snow, and sludge and mud and stop and go traffic with currents surging and stopping for some 5 decades, that traction motor worked, uncomplainingly and unfailingly. I have seen ceiling fans installed by the British in Indian railway stations still spinning some 50 years later.

Tesla 3 has aluminum body, I heard. The body would not rust, the motors don't need maintenance, battery is designed to be swapped out ... these cars might have a life of 20 to 40 years...

JAD | 8 May 2018

@ravisundaramam, yep it is weird, I have put 50k+ on Model S's and the maintenance has been tires. No oil, smog check, brakes, spark plugs, belts. It is about time for a new cabin air filter as well :)

And the 3 is designed to be simpler and built we more knowledge of how to make a good EV. Million mile cars could in theory become very common soon.

12Brent | 8 May 2018

I'm getting some borderline unbelievable efficiency but this is my experience so far... I've been averaging around 200 Wh/mi for the first 500 miles and that includes a lot of test drives with max accelerations. My commute to work is around 27 miles and I have been getting less than 200 Wh/mi during it. The way I normally drive it's about a 50/50 split of 45 mph and 65-70 mph driving. I was wondering if it was just the perfect mix of speeds, etc., so today I waited until there wasn't any traffic and took the long way which is mostly highway miles (33 miles total, 24 of which is highway). There is no net elevation gain/loss between home and work but there are some hills. Today it is sunny and 65 F so the climate control use was probably low, but I had it set on auto at 70 F. Also there was no noticeable wind. Here are some numbers:

On highway (speed limit of 65 mph) I averaged 68 mph (24 miles in 21 minutes) and averaged 202 Wh/mi
For the trip I drove 33.4 miles in 38 minutes (53 mph) and averaged 175 Wh/mi.

I took pictures of the screen so I have pics to prove it. :) As I said, it was a nice day so probably low climate control use and this is with the aero covers on. There was light traffic, so some benefit from drafting but I always leave about 3 seconds between me and the car in front so it shouldn't be a huge help. I Also, I should say that I've always been a nut about driving efficiently. I've only driven manual transmission cars before the 3 and I routinely get 100k miles out of my brake pads because I coast/downshift to slow down. I simply don't use the brakes in the 3 unless it's an emergency. My three second gap gives me enough time to anticipate traffic flow and use regenerative breaking for all of my decelerating. I also didn't use autopilot because I feel like I'm better at anticipating traffic, etc. If I hit the brake pedal in the model 3 before it's going under 10 mph then I feel like I'm failing in my efficiency. :)

Ehninger1212 | 8 May 2018

@ wimpy Ti, you are in Houston correct? haha, that sounds about like my commute.

RP3 | 8 May 2018

@12Brent - those are crazy numbers...compared to mine. I have a lot of hills (and live near the top of one) and it's been pretty hot here lately, so I've been using the A/C. Overall I'm at 250wH/m after almost 1000 miles. I've reset the trip odometer a couple times and set it to Chill mode, but the BEST I've managed is around 235wH/M with at least 100 miles...how do you do it?? (maybe it's all the hills around here??)

charles.a.braun | 8 May 2018

I brought my average down to 251 Wh/mi today. I had been stuck on 252 for perhaps the last 2,000 miles with 15,372 miles right now.

dfelton | 8 May 2018

I’m at 257 Wh/mile. But here in South Fl I need A/C around the clock, and I’m mostly doing a lot of short trips of less than 5 miles, maybe that explains it.

RP3 | 8 May 2018

@12Brent - oh...and I've been driving with my aero wheels off. As an experiment, I'll put them back on and 'chill' for a week to see what happens. (I'll report back here, though I know there are a lot of uncontrolled variables in this 'experiment')

SamO | 8 May 2018

@12Brent,

I've had the same experience. Incredible efficiency at modest speeds. Especially if there is some traffic to follow.

Dragon2020 | 11 May 2018

Averaging 218 and dropping with 350 mi as weather getting warmer in Seattle.

lilbean | 11 May 2018

greg | 11 May 2018

I'm at 278 here. Only 500 miles on the car so far and 220 were on the highway bringing it home. I drive aggressively at every opportunity. I love this car and haven't considered efficiency once while driving it. especially considering how cheap (<.06) electric is here during off hours. After driving a Prius for 8 & 1/2 years this is a dream.

stockbandit91 | 11 May 2018

250 w/mi on about 1200 miles, 225ish if I drive regular, but I'm still in the drive it like you stole it phase, it's too fun.

No_ICE | 11 May 2018

219 w/mi for the first 557 miles. Mixed highway and town driving. Ideal temperature ranges in the mid-Atlantic area this time of year though. Best news is that the off-peak EV Electric Rate in Maryland is just 7.37 cents per KWh (sorry California people). Paying 6 times less for fuel than with my old gas guzzling Lexus.

Finoguy | 11 May 2018

Thanks for sharing these numbers—I’d been feeling bad being at around 256 (750 miles)—mixture of a 12 mile commute and lots of shorter trips, plus cool weather here in MN this spring. On days in the 70’s though I can be down around 220 if I drive calmly (but who wants that, right?!)

socal_doc | 4 June 2018

Just stumbled upon this thread and I thought I would share my experience even though it looks like it has not been active in a while. I received my Model 3 January 24th and have driven it 5600 miles. My commute is approximately 50 miles round trip from Irvine to Diamond Bar (Southern California). I have the 18's with Aero Caps. My drive to work I am going 70-75 mph and the drive home 50% of the commute is in slow moving traffic. My average is 230 w/mi.I try to use autopilot whenever possible.

ebmcs03 | 4 June 2018

Any way to get the display to show miles / KW used? Instead of wh/mi?

I’m use to that from my old fiat.

mattjpeterson | 4 June 2018

No, there's no way to change that but since everyone in Teslaland speaks in wh/mi you'll want to switch that over in your head anyway.

Kathy Applebaum | 4 June 2018

@ebmcs03 I was used to miles/kWh from my Leaf. I just did the math for what my average had been, and a couple of figures I thought would be nice to know (3.7 miles / kWh == 270 Wh/mile; 4 => 250, 5 => 200) and I haven't had any desire to go back to the old way since. FWIW, I'm getting 241 average over 4K miles in the Model 3 -- much better than the Leaf. With, shall we say, less conservative driving. ;-)

Ian.platt | 4 June 2018

If you want to know your "true" Wh/mile, you have to factor in charging efficiency and battery loss while not driving. To do this, take the Wh lost since the last charge (range lost *75 / 310), add 15% for charging inefficiency loss, and divide that by the number of miles actually driven since the previous charge. So far mine comes out to 415 Wh/mile, whereas the car says 237.
Still works out to just under 5cents per mile which is way better than a gas car :)

MarylandS85 | 4 June 2018

With some rain and hot weather necessitating air conditioning use, after about 2,500 miles our Model 3 is now up to 215 Wh/mile (the lowest we saw was 212 Wh/mile a couple weeks ago). Waaaah!

@ebmcs03
I second @mattjpeterson’s post that you should relearn the units in Tesla units, now that you’re a Tesla driver. :^)
But seriously, it’s just simple math (an inverse), as @Kathy Applebaum points out.

billlake2000 | 4 June 2018

Platt, you pay $.02 per KWh? Where's that?

lilbean | 4 June 2018

I’m at 216 now with 1800 miles.

Ian.platt | 4 June 2018

I am in so cal. SCE offers TOU plan where I pay $.12 per KWh at night.
However, when I reveiwed my calculation I did find an error. My true Wh/mile is 338, which at $0.12 / kWh is $0.046. Per mile

Wow @lilbean! Have you been baking without A/C to make it happen?! I’m impressed.

lilbean | 4 June 2018

Yes, I have been baking! Haha! People pay money to use a sauna so why not? :) It’s a special feature of the car I got for free.

Lol OMG. I’m going to have up my game. Maybe I need to ban my wife from driving the car. She always seems to drive up our average! Will it be an issue if I forbid her from driving her own car? Okay fine. I’ll just tell her she has to stop using the air conditioning.

lilbean | 4 June 2018

Haha! You’re doing better than I am. I’m trying to catch up to you. I’ve been taking the freeway into town which is mostly downhill and then I take side streets at 25 mph to go home. That helped me get my average down.

Wow! Using back roads to get home to drive up efficiency? That’s serious commitment!

I have no doubt you’ll catch up and then some. Maryland summers are humid, and we’ll be cranking the A/C for a couple months. Even if you don’t get ahead by August, I have no doubt you will be February, after a couple months of us working our way through below-freezing temp’s

lilbean | 4 June 2018

I’ve got the hot SoCal summers here. Ugh. I’ll have to the run the AC. I wonder if the roof sunshade makes it hotter because it’s black. I really feel like I’m baking.

epjhday | 4 June 2018

I’m such a noob. Plus I hate numbers and am only slowly beginning to understand the kWh thing - I thought a higher average was better! Back to the drawing board. But, honestly, I think my lead foot is the issue. I am shocked at how often I am driving too fast in this car! But, @Maryland, I’m also dreading the dog days in our fair state and what it will do to efficiency figures.

billlake2000 | 4 June 2018

listen, lilbean and maryland, we want youse guys to continue posting on this thread. I would like to know the effect of the weather on the wh/mi. Your driving skills are obviously a serious asset and a good place from which to start the study. Thank you.

lilbean | 4 June 2018

We’s will. :)

nwfan | 5 June 2018

@lilbean, sunshade helps.
Already had 100 degree days in TX
this May.

Turn on soap box.

Are we not buying electric to curb global warming?
100 degree days in May. 1st 100 degree day on average
use to be July. Paris Accords a sham? Wake up Pruitt and 45 govt.

Turn off soap box.

eandmjep | 5 June 2018

At 65 mph AC on Blower at 8. Temp set to 66deg I get 223wh per mile with 3 passengers. at 75mph I get around 258wh per mile same conditions. So far in 1300 miles I have averaged 228 WH per mile with a mix of 35% Freeway driving, 55% highway 55-65mph and 10 percent rural city miles.

hokiegir1 | 5 June 2018

We hit 1900 miles last night. AC has been running full blast (between "lo" and 66, fan usually 5+). Our lifetime was at 270.

The window tint has definitely helped keep the interior temp lower. We were hitting at least 135 before we had it done. I think the highest I've seen since is 113, and it's usually around 105. I did just order the sunshade for the roof, because when we were sitting, we could still feel some significant heat from there. I waited for hubby while he was doing a followup sales visit (tech support, really) for about an hour, and despite the AC running, I could still feel a decent amount of heat coming in -- and while I know it's blocking the harmful rays, it does still let light in that warms up the head. Of course, it was noon and we were in direct sun, so not much way around it.

I'm looking forward to fall/winter. GA usually only has a couple sporadic weeks of very cold weather, so we should be able to increase our efficiency then -- especially since we both like cold much better than hot, so we are less likely to use the heater than we are the AC.

12Brent | 5 June 2018

I'm at 1740 miles at an average of 199 Wh/m. I must have a magic commute that is downhill both ways. :) I've actually been running plenty of air conditioning (on "LO" and fan setting 3, after the car cools off on setting 7 or 8)... Colorado is hot and sunny. Commute is 27 miles each way with 70/30 mix of highway/city driving. There are a couple of big hills on my drive but traffic patterns result in slow speeds uphill, so that may be helping my efficiency. Maybe it's that or the thin Colorado air equals less resistance. ;)

petemelster | 5 June 2018

244 average across over 2.2k miles. I don't drive aggressively usually, and I have only done hard acceleration maybe 5 times total for only a few seconds each time. I'm on 19" wheels.

MarylandS85 | 5 June 2018

Holy smoke @12Brent is the king of efficiency. Remind me not to drive behind you. (But also I’m a little bit jealous.)

(Okay, a lot bit.)

12Brent | 5 June 2018

@MarylandS85, I swear that I'm not creating traffic! If I'm the first person at a light I enjoy the car's acceleration. Likewise when I'm getting onto the highway. The rest of the time I just go with the flow of traffic, which must suit the efficiencies of an EV well for my particular commute. I will admit that I try not to use the brake pedal until I slow down to 10 mph or less, trying to maximize regen as much as possible. Otherwise I drive normally.

Iwantmy3 | 5 June 2018

I have found numbers very similar to "eandmjep". 229 wh/m at ~67 mph and 264 wh/m at ~74 mph. A/C, 75F outside, aero wheels with caps. It would seem that 310 miles on the highway would correspond with ~69 mph with AC on a "warm" day.

rxlawdude | 5 June 2018

I'm embarrassed to say that for myself and my similarly lead-footed bride, 250Wh/mi is about the best we get in the M3 over 6,000 miles. The MS70D has been very steady at 310Wh/mi.

That's what happens when you drive a Tesla like you stole it. :-)

@12Brent
You must have gotten a prototype Model 3 built with the next generation of efficiency. Maybe yours is a real world guinea pig precursor to the tech they plan to put in the Model Y. Or you drive like my grandpa. One or the other. ;^)

To be clear, I’ve been driving an EV for years, and I really work hard to maximize efficiency without severely inconveniencing my fellow drivers. Of course, this includes maximizing regen as you cite. My brake pedals are really only used when the light turns yellow at the darnedest of times or if there’s something unexpected happening on the road. I don’t care what they say about you in Colorado. You, sir, are my hero.

lilbean | 5 June 2018

Wow! That’s great efficiency!

lilbean | 5 June 2018

Ok. I’m a little jealous too.

Iwantmy3 | 5 June 2018

12Brent,
You are probably right about the air pressure. Denver is ~5300 ft above sea level. Air is 18% less dense. Displacing the air accounts for 80% of highway driving energy. Your altitude could be worth 30 Wh/m.

rxlawdude | 5 June 2018

I guess us lowlanders have a bad altitude.

@rxlawdude
Yeah, we must be full of hot air. Or maybe we’re just plain dense.

Pages