Forums

What watt hours per mile are you getting on your Model 3?

What watt hours per mile are you getting on your Model 3?

The model 3 is rated at 241 watt hours per mile, if I am doing my calculation right (75,000 watt hours divided by 310 miles).

In my driving so far, which has not been aggressive, I've been averaging more like 300 watt hours per mile. This means that my range is only 250 miles. Admittedly, in LA there's always lots of stop and go traffic, so I was not expecting to hit any sort of ideal. Regenerative breaking is on though.

Is this an an unusual spread relative to the EPA estimate? Are others getting better mileage and if so, what might the reason be?

This is my first Tesla and my first electric car,

lilbean | 5 June 2018

Haha!

12Brent | 5 June 2018

It's all of the high people driving super slow that helps my efficiency numbers.

billlake2000 | 5 June 2018

yeah, dang, 12brent. the syentist in me wants to know if the altitude is the thing. burdogg, and now my memory is failing, i think he said he had some good wh/mi, too. is all of colorado high? I mean the elevation, you weirdos.

bmemoret | 11 July 2018

I am getting about 265 Wh per mile on my Model 3, with AC always on (it's 90F here during the day), with quite a bit of elevation changes -- 0 to 2000ft) at speeds mostly from 35 to 60mph. But that somehow gets translated into 320 miles of range by the car (remember that Model 3 shows charge in miles, not KWh, and at full charge for a longer trip, my car shows 320 miles of charge). I have avoided running the battery down below 50miles, so I cannot tell if the 320mi of charge would really get me 320mi of range, but I think it would close, because after a 200mi round-trip it still shows over 100mi of charge.

Nash.david.a | 11 July 2018

@12Brent Good work! I changed acceleration to Chill this morning and had a nice comfortable drive in to the office. I got 198 Wh/mi.

I'm hoping to stay at or below 220; we'll see if that sticks.

guthriev63 | 12 July 2018

227 wh/mile 582 miles. ~ 40% highway, 40% city, 20% mountain highway driving, some fun and high regen with very little traffic congestion.

CST | 12 July 2018

Just drove from the Bay Area to Tahoe - both shores, and back. Took it easy on the way up 68MPH on the hill, 72 on the flats, but came back *fast*. Loved passing on Hwy 50 :) Averaged 250kw/h for a total of 100kw. Not bad for a 400 mile trip up and down. Plus, if you charge on the Nevada side, it is only $0.12/unit. My cost for the entire trip was $24, but will be $12 when PG&E finally gets me on TOU. In my Volvo, it would have been $80 - Tahoe gas was $4.40/gallon!

nwfan | 13 July 2018

260 kw/h for me. Hot TX (A/C on) and far to fond of launch mode (hard acceleration).
I might revert to my Grandpa status in the winter and try Chill mode. Might even see 220's.
Nah. Not going to happen.

Hashtag | 13 July 2018

@nwfan.... HA HA HA HA HA

bill | 13 July 2018

I drive conservatively around town and am usually able to stay under 220. However, with the car frequently reporting an internal temp of about 130°F, I often turn on the AC in advance of using the car. That has to cost some. Highway driving going typically 70-75 mph runs us closer to 240. Admittedly, I don't floor it as often as I'd like. I chalk up the conservative driving to years of being trained by my Prius.

MarylandS85 | 8 August 2018

At over 5,000 miles, averaging 220 Wh/mi on our RWD LR Aero wheel 3 here in humid and only mildly hilly Maryland, up from 215 Wh/mi earlier in the season. It would be better, but my wife insists on using this new-fangled thing the kids call “air conditioning.” Phaw! In my day, you’d just man up and sweat it out, because who wants to reach all the way over to the passenger side to manually roll down the window? And back seat windows?! Forget about it!

On a plus side, dropped my Model S (which my wife won’t drive—something about it being “too big” [that’s what she said]) lifetime average from 284 Wh/mi to 283 Wh/mile this summer. In your face, global warming!

Wonders me how @lilbean is faring as the SoCal sun bakes harder as summer lingers on. And also my friend @12Brent in Colorado who claimed an unfathomable 199 Wh/mi a couple months ago. If he hasn’t cracked 200 yet, I’m calling bullshite! I mean we could fashion an ultralight solar sail to attach to the Model 3 and have a unicorn pull the car with a rainbow colored rope, and surely it’d still use more than 199 Wh/mi!

Carl Thompson | 8 August 2018

@MarylandS85

That's awesome! I thought I was doing well at 242 Wh / mile over 5,800 miles. Now I see I have some catching up to do. I'm not sure how you do it; a large part of the reason I think I'm doing so well is the absolutely brutal (very slow) traffic here in the Bay Area. I didn't think Maryland was so bad (unless you drive on 495)!

CharleyBC | 8 August 2018

At about 750 miles, we’d averaged 228. My wife just drove it to SLC yesterday, so it’ll be interesting to see how its first long road trip contributes. She was going faster than we usually do around Sacramento, so I assume less efficient.

CST | 8 August 2018

Try driving up to Tahoe and back. That is an interesting Wh/mile roller coaster. On the way up, you'll be pushing 400, and on the way back, you can be in the low 100's or even negatives.

Mike83 | 8 August 2018

My wife is getting around 234 now. Aero wheels and 70 mph going from 700 to 4330 ft. and back at 85 F.

vmulla | 8 August 2018

I do not know what changed since the last update but I'm doing under 200 using chill now.
First few months I was at ~250, then to ~230, for the last few weeks 220..and now suddenly under 200!
I've relaxed a bit but haven't relaxed enough to rationalize sub-200 efficiency - something definitely changed in the last update (28.1)

@vmulla

Yup, I noticed a substantial drop (getting better) in my Wh / mile since the 2018.21 update. It's still going down!

sroh | 8 August 2018

243 for us with 6K miles. Mix of highway, couple of road trips, some spirited acceleration. And it's probably 250 for me and 235 for my wife.

I bet we could get it down to around 225 if we really wanted to. But it's still too much fun to punch it every once in a while, and the 'gas' is basically free.

CharleyBC | 8 August 2018

Hey, related question. I know how to find the Wh/m stats on the touchscreen, but is there a way to see this info from the iOS app? I've poked around, but it wouldn't be the first time I'd missed something obvious.

CalabasasKid | 8 August 2018

I’m getting 267 and I’m on 20’s

Iwantmy3 | 8 August 2018

vmulla,
I had a thread on here a couple weeks ago saying that. My efficiency seems to have improved by ~10% after the 24. software upgrade. Suddenly I found myself getting as little as 238W/mile on a two hour period doing 75 mph with the A/C on. I was seeing >260 W/mile earlier on for the same drive.

nwfan | 8 August 2018

1.8 k miles, 262 kw/mi average on 29” wheels. Spirited driving and 100 degree plus days. Love the launch mode far too much.

Side note, car repaired by Tesla Plano Service Center. Anyone in the DFW area I highly recommend Plano over Dallas for your service needs. Firmware update failed. Car would not operate. SD card had to be reformatted. 12v battery replaced, charge door replaced (on due list from delivery).
Another satisfied customer.

nwfan | 8 August 2018

19” wheels not 29”.

hokiegir1 | 8 August 2018

@vmulla -- I've also noticed an improvement since the last couple updates. Over the whole 7500 (ish) miles, we're at about 273, though that does include the 800 mile round trip with the bike rack on (average about 350 or so with that). Since we got the tires rotated about 2000-1500 miles ago, we're sitting around 220-230. Granted, hubby hasn't been able to drive for 3 weeks with his leg in a boot -- but I haven't been entirely grandma-ish. ;)

vmulla | 8 August 2018

@hokiegirl1, this car is about equality! Anyone who gets into the drivers' seat becomes a road beast who is as skilled as a trucker capable of backing in a 18 wheeler, and as safe a mom hauling 3 kids in a station wagon. So - if you see grandma in a Model 3, yeild!

Sorry going off topic, I couldn't resist :)

wjhunter23 | 8 August 2018

3200 miles on model 3, 18" wheels, covers on, hi way and city driving, a/c on, not exceeding 80 mph.
wh/mile is 228

@Carl Thompson
It’s not for reasons of traffic, as I avoid the Capital Beltway whenever possible. I drive mostly around town in suburbia averaging 30-45 mph, usually with light traffic. This car loves to coast at low speeds. I garage park, so the car isn’t baking in the sun usually, limiting how often I start out the drive running AC. I don’t use AC unless it’s really hot (90°+); I roll down the windows part-way and symmetrically around the cabin if that’s enough to keep me cool. I maximize regen when having to stop. I don’t regen unless I have to when cresting hills (i.e., I keep the power meter near neutral when it’s safe to do so), since regen does not recoup at 100% efficiency. I don’t launch often. When I take the car to work (60 miles round trip at mostly highway speeds), I still average in the 220’s Wh/mi. I keep the tires inflated at 42 psi. I don’t tote a lot of heavy stuff.

Oh, and I don’t have a front license plate on yet. Does that affect the drag coefficient? ;^)
No tickets for this violation yet....

eeb9 | 8 August 2018

I'm at 267 average after 4500 miles.

Atlanta, summer, AC and, ummm... *Enthusiastic* driving

eeb9 | 8 August 2018

...though not once have I exceeded 140mph...

AAinSoCal | 8 August 2018

LR RWD with 18" wheels and aero covers removed on day 1. Over nearly 6500 miles, probably with 70% highway and most of that at 75 mph, I'm at 233 Wh/mi.

mazers | 8 August 2018

1655 miles and averaging 235. Mostly highway miles with AC in MD. Had to drive about 100 miles round trip today around the Beltway and into VA in rush hour and got 205. @MarylandS85, I'm leaving the front plate off until I cannot talk my way out of it anymore and rack up a few tickets.

@mazers
A hundred miles round trip with 495 gridlock sounds like torture.

Seems like most of us are getting efficiency on par with Tesla expects. Don’t worry all; these dream numbers won’t last. Winter is coming.

Except for you people in SoCal, FL, and Hawaii. The rest of us collectively hate you.

CST | 8 August 2018

Just got 214 driving to Sacramento Airport in the middle of the day. Got 90 degrees with the AC set to 69 degrees

CST | 8 August 2018

I forgot to mention that I used EAP set at 70 miles per hour the whole way

@MarylandS85

Good point about the front license plate. I _do_ have mine on and I'm still doing pretty well efficiency-wise. I actually feel like the front license plate adds a little "balance" to an otherwise barren (but good-looking) front end so I actually prefer the look with it on!

My experience is that AC makes very, very little difference so I have no worries about turning it on. However, this has been a very pleasant spring and summer here so I'm not using it every day. But in the Model 3 AC has impacted efficiency the least of my 5 EVs.

I've only used the heater once because of the mild temperatures here. So that's obviously a factor that will change in winter.

MarylandS85 | 9 August 2018

@CT
Agreed that this car’s AC is remarkably efficient. I remember in our 2011 LEAF that running AC was bad news (and running the heat was the kiss of death), but mostly that’s because the range was piddly to begin with. Range anxiety was very real.

Having said that, the Model 3 is even more efficient without AC running. When we use it, we are usually in the 230+ Wh/mi range. Without, we are usually in the 200-210 Wh/mi range. Is it worth cooking in the cabin to save a few electrons? For most people, no. For loons like me who are trying to beat their own high score on a daily basis... maybe?

Glad to hear the car looks good with the plate on, since I suspect that’s in our future. Still, I love the clean front look right now and have no plans to mount it quite yet.

mazers | 9 August 2018

@MarylandS85, the trip around the Beltway was made bearable by EAP. I could not believe how well it did in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic with the distance set to 1 car length. I also reduced the max speed to 45 to reduce crazy acceleration. I don't usually have to make that trip, but I know how much less stressful it is! Normal commute is early so no real traffic along 70, 29 and 100. I hope I never have to put that plate on either.

lilbean | 9 August 2018

@MarylandS85 I thought the summer was going to kill my numbers especially since my other half likes to mash the pedal has been driving it more. I’m happy to report that I’m at 220! Woohoo!

Mike83 | 9 August 2018

Perhaps the OTA is improving efficiency? But the range is outstanding for the M3 even with 90 T and high speed. I believe our MS is also better but haven't checked it lately.

vmulla | 9 August 2018

This mornings commute was especially sweet I somehow managed 179!! and I didn't even do anything different, the traffic was flowing smoothly, and I had to stop for an errand. But from the stop for the errand onwards I did 33.5miles in 33 mins, approximately 60mph speed, and I hit 176 for this section.
Unbelievable! I will try to observe if there's a elevation change that affected my numbers. I doubt it because Washington DC metro area doesn't have much of elevation changes.

teslu3 | 9 August 2018

227 wh/mi over 1730 miles, 50% mountain roads, 30% hwy, 20 local, aero wheels, AC. Would be lower but for taking folks on test rides including a 26% grade.

@mazers
Howard County for the win. I drive on 29 and 100 all the time. Traffic isn’t bad around here anyway, at least not by DC standards. And you’re right. EAP is awesome in traffic.

@lilbean
Wow! We’re all tied up. Strong work.

JAD | 9 August 2018

For years my average on my P85 is 280Wh/m on my commute and lifetime of 285 Wh/m. My first 100 mile or so on the 3P+ I was over 300 Wh/m and I was getting worried. I think I was doing more 3.1 0-60 and fast runs than I thought, as the commute today dropped to 237 Wh/m, so 20% better than the P85 which is about what I expected.

It is also very possible the first 100 miles has bad efficiency until the tires and other things get broken in.

coredumperror | 9 August 2018

One thing to consider is that the A/C uses a pretty significant chunk of energy. I've done some testing on my 15-mile commute home, which is always the same route, and has fairly consistent traffic during rush hour.

With the A/C on, I generally get ~230-250 Wh/mi on that route in ~90 degree weather. But if I turn the A/C off, I get closer to 180-200 Wh/mi, and have even seen it go as low as 161! That one was with heavier-than-usual traffic, though.

Also, I wanted to point out that unlike gas cars, hybrids and EVs get BETTER milage in stop-and-go traffic, rather than worse. Electric engines are much more efficient at lower speeds, and they get lots more opportunities for regenerative breaking. Back when I owned a Prius C, I'd generally get around 50 miles/gal on my way home in normal traffic, but it would just to 60, or even 70, when traffic got really bad.

@vmulla
We just got the 2018.28 update yesterday. Today, I made a short drive I often make (about 10 miles round trip, flat terrain mostly, 85° temp, no AC but windows cracked, average speed about 35 mph). Under similar conditions previously, I’d average about 180 Wh/mi. Today, I did it at 154 Wh/mi. That’s almost 15% more efficient than usual, and the only discernible variable was the firmware update. If it’s real, that’s an amazing improvement.

There’s also a chance it’s a glitch. It seems too good to be true, IMO. I mean I could drive 487 miles on a full battery with that kind of efficiency. This is real world (albeit near perfect) conditions, not hypermiling BS.

JAD | 9 August 2018

coredumperror, heating actually uses significantly more than cooling. No inefficient engine creating free excess heat. Generally the A/C usage is not nearly as much as you are seeing, but your efficiency is so good, it will be a bigger percentage. Isn't the EPA ~236 Wh/m? At your 180 Wh/m you are approaching 400 mile range!

Carl Thompson | 9 August 2018

One note about AC... Be careful when drawing conclusions about how much extra power it uses. Very likely your morning and afternoon commutes are not completely even. For example, I sometimes achieve less than 190 Wh / mile on my morning commute but I've never gotten below 205 Wh / mile on my afternoon commute _even without AC_. Since AC use is likely to be much more common in the afternoon it may be easy to draw the conclusion that the entire difference in energy use between the morning and afternoon commutes is due to AC when in fact a significant portion of it may be due to elevation changes and other factors like in my commute.

nmshah47 | 9 August 2018

Week 4 with my M3. In SoCal and daily commute is 4 times drive of 5 miles each. A/C set to 72 degrees, although the car bakes in open parking lot. 18 inch wheels with aero caps and I drive conservative, at most 5 mph more than speed limit.

My stats are 308 wh/mi with 400 miles use so far. Far worse than any wh/mile number I have seen on this thread. Should I be concerned?

lilbean | 9 August 2018

@MarylandS85 That's feat! Can we bring our numbers down by leaving the AC running while parked?

send.kin.mail | 9 August 2018

Air resistance goes up with velocity squared.
Back of the envelope.. 65 to 75 is 15%, which means 33% higher resistance.
Roughly inline with 240wh/mi at 65 and 320wh/mi at 75.

Pages