Forums

Steering Wheel locked

Steering Wheel locked

Today my husband was pulling into a parking lot in my new Tesla S (3 months old) when the steering wheel locked. Only with a very hard pull was he able to get it moving enough to get into a parking place. Very very scary. Has this happened to anyone else? On a freeway or street this could have been a disaster.

EVRider | 1 March 2018

Any chance your husband was touching a curb and didn't know it? If not, I suggest having the car checked by Service. Meanwhile, rebooting is always a good idea when things don't work as expected (press and hold the scroll wheels on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns off).

By the way, you can delete your duplicate post by selecting Edit and then Delete.

TeslaTap.com | 1 March 2018

May be a loss of power steering (which can occur in any car - ICE or EV) when there is a problem. If so, while driving, the steering is harder, but is still steerable. It becomes far more difficult at very low speeds (i.e. parking). That's why it isn't a disaster when on a freeway or even surface roads.

charles_quebec | 26 November 2018

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday with my 3 year old Model S. Quite scary in deed. Has your problem been fixed and if so how?

lilbean | 26 November 2018

Gotta work out and strengthen your core. I was able to back into a parking space with a Model S with the power steering out. It wasn’t easy but it can be done and it’s a full body workout. Like @TeslaTap said, it’s much more difficult at slower speeds.

Bighorn | 26 November 2018

I had to wrestle mine onto a flat bed once. Not my fault:)

Silver2K | 26 November 2018

charles_quebec

Was your steering rack recall completed??

charles_quebec | 27 November 2018

Just got news from my service center. A ground on the chassis was broken due to corrosion. This is what caused the wheel to be completely blocked (nothing to do with power steering not functioning properly, the wheel was just plain locked). They had to replace the ground.
Silver2K, yes, I had my steering rack recall about 2 weeks ago. I actually got the power steering problem last year and they fixed it at that time but still did the recall with the new “rust-proof” material.
They tell me this ground is not on the steering rack and has nothing to do with the recall. I sure hope they investigate and escalate the problem. They should proceed with a full recall of everything that can be exposed to “extreme corrosion” outside of California weather conditions. I live in Quebec City and we have a of salt on our roads in the winter. I was extremely lucky it happened to me at low speed. The next Tesla owner might not be so lucky. What's next, the brakes will suddenly stop working because of rusty wires?

Bighorn | 27 November 2018

Ground corrosion is a known cause of intermittent faults. One of the first things I checked when I had a gremlin.

barrykmd | 27 November 2018

One of the world's ugliest cars - the gremlin.

grins.va | 28 November 2018

Yup. Much uglier than my Pacer. ;-)

jfemd.va.us | 28 November 2018

I prefer my Aztek to a Gremlin or Pacer. At least a Pacer upside down subs for a great fishbowl.

RGALICHON | 24 September 2019

I got in my model 3 this morning and started backing out of my garage. When I went to cut the wheel, nothing happened. Had to slam on the brakes before falling off a ledge. Scary indeed. I tried turning the wheel, but it took so much force, I felt like something was going to break. Parked the car and called for service. Not sure how I'm supposed to get the car to the service center, though.

It's kind of unbelievable that my car was working fine yesterday. I pulled into my garage like every night. How is it that I get in the car the next morning and something dangerous like the steering not working happens with zero warning?

Tldickerson | 24 September 2019

@RGALICHON, ever think about posting in the Model 3 forum? You just may get better and faster answers there than the Model S forum.

PrescottRichard | 24 September 2019

Here’s another one of the fantastic posts. All responses to existing posts... I am suspicious.

EVRider | 24 September 2019

@PrescottRichard: I think the giveaway was when they “called for service.” Good luck with that. :-)

PrescottRichard | 24 September 2019

They pop up all over, hit & runs. It’s getting to the point that we need posts only by verified owners or verified down payment putters. :)

sjh2119 | 11 November 2019

October 27 2019 ... 2019 Model 3 I was in self driving full driving mode and it took me into a medium on the highway. The steering wheel was locked and I was unable to pull the vehicle out of self driving mode or steer away from hitting the guardrail. I saw my life flash. Scary and surreal.

EVRider | 11 November 2019

@sjh2119: Can you prove it? Your allegation is hard to believe.