Forums

GM to unveil the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt at NAIAS 2015. The $30,000 Chevrolet Bolt would be capable of driving 200 miles on a charge

GM to unveil the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt at NAIAS 2015. The $30,000 Chevrolet Bolt would be capable of driving 200 miles on a charge

GM global product chief Mark Reuss recently signaled GM's continued commitment to electric vehicles in an interview:

“If you are a slave to monthly sales, you will give up your long-term vision of what you think the future will be,” he said. “And we did that [with the EV1]. We had the first electric car. And we didn’t follow it up. Think of where we would be today if we hadn’t done that.

"And I remind people who weren’t in the company or are younger. I say, we are not going to make that mistake again.”

Links:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150110/OEM05/150109863/gm-plans-all-el...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/09/wsj-gm-chevrolet-bolt-electric-vehicle/

http://jalopnik.com/the-chevrolet-bolt-will-be-a-200-mile-electric-tesla...

overlordtico | January 10, 2015

As the saying goes, "I'll believe it when I see it"

3seeker | January 10, 2015

It's good that GM is apologizing for its mistake with the EV1. What they should've done IMO to signify their renewed commitment and to get people's attention is to name their new car the EV2.

3seeker | January 10, 2015

Don't care. Sounds like another half-@ssed project to me.

FREE ENERGY | January 10, 2015

To be beleaved ? No way !!!

Benz | January 10, 2015

What will the Chevrolet Bolt look like?

How about:

Chevrolet EV2 would indeed have been a better name for it.

Benz | January 10, 2015

But the arrival of the Chevrolet Bolt actually is a good thing.

Why?

Because it will put competitive pressure on all the other car-manufacturers to introduce an EV with a 200 miles range for about $30,000.

Though the questions remains if the Chevrolet Bolt really will do 200 miles on a charge.

Looking forward to NAIAS 2015.

jbmjbm22 | January 10, 2015

I traded in my Chevy Volt for a Tesla and from a previous Volt owner I can tell you there is nothing to worry about here, GM should never be in the electric car business it was a horribly made piece of crap car.

EmperorTytus | January 10, 2015

That's the first I've heard of an owner disparaging the Volt. Can you be more specific? What did you find wring with it?

Benz | January 10, 2015

Wall Street Journal:

“General Motors Co. plans to launch a $30,000 electric vehicle called the Chevrolet Bolt that would be capable of driving 200 miles on a charge by 2017, according to people familiar with the strategy, a move to gain ground on Tesla Motors Inc.”

“GM will show off a concept version of the Bolt on Monday at the Detroit auto show, eight years after the auto giant disclosed it would re-enter the electric car market with the Chevrolet Volt.”

“The Chevy Bolt, carrying a more capable battery manufactured by South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd. , will be aimed squarely at Tesla’s forthcoming Model 3, a $35,000 electric car also slated to debut in 2017. The concept version of the electric car will be a hatchback designed to look more like a so-called crossover vehicle, according to people familiar with the design.”

------------------------

Well, I haven't heard anything so far regarding some kind of a (secret) GM charging station network for enabling Chevrolet Bolt customers to do long distance driving in North America (US + Canada), let alone that it would be free for them to charge there?

TMac | January 10, 2015

Wow this is great news.
Elon should have skipped the Model X and gone straight to Model E/ III.

I think this is huge importance.
Some questions remain:
1) What happens if Chevy beats Model III to market with affordable 200 mile BEV? All of us waiting for Model III may bail if wait is too long.
2) Does GM have a SUPERCHARGER answer?
3) Size of onboard charger must be 6.6kw? not the anemic volt 3.3?
4) Speaking of that, how large will battery be ? 40,50,60?

Cant wait until Monday's news

Ion man | January 10, 2015

TMac,

Tesla has to wait for the giga factory to come on line in order to support the high volume Model 3 in 2017. I haven't heard of GM making similar investments in battery production, which makes me think they intend to create a low/mid volume car, i.e a car that does not cannabolize their big sellers.

1) fisker karma beat the model S to market...I'm not worried about who is first.
2) I doubt it, charging networks only needed if GM is trying to sell that EVs are better than ICE. My guess is that GM is making a Chevy Cruise style car, only asking double the sticker price. If they actually put out a car that trumps many ICE products and is at cost parity, then they will receive way more demand for that car than they have battery supply.
3) maybe find out Monday at NAIAS
4) Monday?

kd1 | January 10, 2015

GM proved they could produce a vehicle with a range of 100 miles with lead acid batteries (EV1). 30 years later the Volt can only get 38. Do you really think that GM want to get away from ICE model ?

Here is the catch:

1. The Bolt will get 200 miles on a charge BUT there will still be a motor
2. The Bolt will get 200 miles on a charge BUT in order to achieve this we have to make it ugly
3. The Bolt will get 200 miles on a charge BUT in order to achieve this we have too make it really small.
4. The Bolt will get 200 miles on a charge BUT you can only buy them in California for the first 5 years and then only a lease, then after the lease is up they take them back and destroy them.
5. The dash will be analog BUT the clock will be fully digital
6. You will be able to use the Bolt as a hot spot BUT only for other Bolt owners

I hope I am wrong BUT I doubt it.

Larry@SoCal | January 10, 2015

They do not need a network of charging stations. Every Chevrolet/GM dealer could do a battery swap: they have personnel and equipment.
If they want to. However, I suspect that their long-range goal is to see the EV fail. "See, we told you so!"
Still we must hope for the best: a second successful EV on the road.
~Larry

petochok | January 10, 2015

If that's the case, they should quickly rename it to Pinto instead of Bolt. I just can't see them installing armor plating at every "nook and cranny" of the car.

Bikezion | January 10, 2015

GM will release the car in 2017, they will finish engineering the car 5 years later.

Benz | January 10, 2015

The first and most interesting will be info regarding the LG Chem battery pack. How many kWh will it hold?

petochok | January 10, 2015

I was referring to where most vehicle impacts occur. It sure is NOT the floor pan when it comes to regular accidents.

carlgo | January 10, 2015

I dunno...200 miles or "200 miles"? Only 1/3 less miles than an S?

For $30K? Only if they are selling each one at a big loss or have a Ford windmill mounted on the roof :]

So, 200 miles is probably really 150.

You had better be looking for a charger at 100 miles or so.

The battery will be nearly depleted by the time you get there, so wait maybe an hour for a charge.

Looks like charging will consume one-third of the time of a long trip.

Long range electrics make sense. You can go places at a decent pace.

Short range electrics do also as the they last the day at least, maybe a week for the use they normally get, and they charge up fast due to their small batteries.

Medium range electrics? Better have a whole ^^^^load of very fast chargers all over the place unless it is intended only for local use in reality.

PapaSmurf | January 10, 2015

Unless GM is also building an equivalent to the SuperCharger network, why would anyone buy the Bolt?

All else being equal....

Option A = Tesla Model 3 with 200 miles of range and access to the SuperCharger network

Option B = Chevy Bolt (or any other car) with 200 miles of range, but no SuperCharger network.

Which car would you purchase?

I am assuming that they are roughly equivalent in looks, features, etc. However I suspect Tesla will do a better job on all features and overall design.

GeekEV | January 10, 2015

Volt? Bolt? My money is on the third one being called the Dolt.

THRΞΞ | January 11, 2015

@GeekEV
+1

LOL!!!

carlgo2 | January 11, 2015

Smurf: "200 miles" is probably calculated at 55mph, without a load and without hills. Think 150 most of the time, barely able to make it from one Supercharger to another (if it is a Tesla) and from one Level 2 charger to another every two hours for a one-hour charge if it is a Volt.

Why even bother? It is a car you use around town, for short commutes. Perfectly legit use for 80% of driving. But almost useless for long trips and a pain in any case unless you can plug it in overnight.

Red Sage ca us | January 11, 2015

I'm pretty sure that the Chevrolet Volt is already based partially on the Chevrolet Cruze platform. It was reported several months ago that the Chevrolet Bolt would probably be based upon the Chevrolet Sonic platform.

GreenCarReports - 2017 Chevrolet Sonic EV: More Electric-Car Details Trickle Out

I seriously doubt that GM will release an electric car with an EPA rated range of 200 miles in 2017. Capable? Sure... Driven downhill, with a single driver who weighs less than 150 lbs, at 25 MPH, and a tailwind on a straight, narrow, highway.

Looking at the numbers...
ENERGY OVER 200 MILES OF RANGE
WH PER 90% 100% 115%
MILE CHARGE CHARGE CHARGE
200 40,000 44,444 51,111
300 60,000 66,667 76,667
450 90,000 100,000 115,000
Allowing for 15% battery protection, and a 90% charge after that, you must be very efficient in energy use. But you still end up with a rather high capacity battery pack at at least 50 kWh. I expect that GM will be reluctant to go with even a 40 kWh battery pack, with ~35 kWh rating, and ~31 kWh available for actual use.

By comparison, the Chevrolet Volt has a 16.5 kWh battery pack.

tc22c

Larry@SoCal | January 11, 2015

We do not want Tesla to loose the lead. Not to Asia, not to Detroit.
But in discounting this Bolt we must consider the likelihood of charging or swapping at the many local Chevrolet/GM dealerships. They could quickly outnumber the Supercharger.
The Gigafactory will be Tesla's future and the future of EVs.
~Larry

Brian H | January 11, 2015

They would need hwy L3 chargers to drive any distance. Would take an Almighty fast rollout... Could happen.

Red Sage ca us | January 11, 2015

Alisa Priddle wrote, "The Bolt electric vehicle is larger than the Volt and shares its hatchback body style."

That is... interesting. Previous rumors had said the Chevrolet Bolt would be smaller than the Volt, based upon the same platform as the Sonic.

3seeker | January 12, 2015

If GM is 'in bed' with the oil industry, why not work out a deal to provide battery swapping or charging service at existing gas stations? That's one way they can compete with TM's supercharger network.

Shenster | January 12, 2015

There is one looming question I have. Supposing other auto companies do produce "competitive" EV's. Where will they get their batteries from? With Tesla's gigafactory, the cost of batteries will be lower for Tesla, and because these batteries are being made in house, the Tesla R&D team will always be in a position to improve them. Will it become more cost effective for competitors to buy their batteries from Tesla?

mcdonalk | January 12, 2015

I wonder if this is another ruse by GM to kill the electric vehicle?

Shenster | January 12, 2015

They can't. Tesla is committed and will be able to produce abundant EV's with an efficient means of recharging them, regardless of what the other auto companies do. I think that Tesla has forced their hands.

But my question remains. Tesla will hold the monopoly on the most efficient batteries in the world. How will this effect other auto companies' ability to compete?

Nanana26 | January 12, 2015

It's ugly as sin.

Dramsey | January 12, 2015

And they're being very coy about production, refusing to say if it will ever exist.

Mixed messages, guys. First you say that you're serious about EVs; then you say the Bolt is just a concept that may never be produced. Sigh.

Mike83 | January 12, 2015

Are they going to make it in Mexico with their electronic wizards who can hardly make a safe 4 cycle combustion engine that needs to start with a safe ignition switch.

Benz | January 12, 2015

Estimated 200-mile range

and

About $30,000 after tax incentives

tarheeltesla | January 12, 2015

I think this is great news. I know everyone is a Tesla fan. So am I. My Model S 85 is due to arrive late March. The Tesla Model S is the best car on the planet. And Model X looks terrific. Model 3 and a Tesla truck will be superior vehicles too. People who want to buy a Tesla are not going to buy a Chevy. Not many, anyway.

I'm also an owner and i3 fan. I know many think the i3 is ugly. I like it. I also like the Model S. Room for both. I can tell you the carbon fiber usage and eco-engineering of the i3 is amazing.

My gut tells me Tesla will be leading the way for a long time. Hopefully, forever. Its cars are superior and its supercharging network is brilliant. The keys, in my opinion, are going to be: a) increased range - which Tesla will achieve with battery - wish it could do more with carbon fiber, and b) availability at its superchargers. Yes, most charging will occur in our garages but it is important that waits at superchargers be for charging and not waiting to charge. With the arrival of the Model 3 the supercharging network will be tested.

jordanrichard | January 12, 2015

Benz, thank you for the picture because that makes a point that everybody here is over looking. The Bolt will get 'about' 200, not a firm 200. That about/estimated is most likely in sunny CA or FL on level ground, nobody in the car except the driver, no A/C, going 55 mph, etc. The price is 'about' $30K AFTER incentives and I guarantee you that is including the huge incentives CA owners get in addition to the Fed.

One more point, Tesla (Elon) has stated repeatedly that the Model 3 will get "at least" 200. "At least" means just that, but "estimated" means no more than 200. With the recent announcement about the 400 miles (ideal) the Roadster can do, 200 in the Model 3 will be a long distant memory by 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if the Model 3 has a range equal to or even greater than the Model S.

If dealers (GM's real customers) don't see a profit in these things, they are not going to sell them unless mandated to do so by the government. They certainly aren't going support them via offering charging. Not all Nissan dealers support the Leaf, why does anyone think GM dealers will be different.

carlgo2 | January 12, 2015

One fear is that because 200 miles and $30K is not achievable, that GM will in essence dump these cars and a company like Tesla that needs to make money on each car will be uncompetitive. I suppose there could be lawsuits...

But, like I said before, this is a local use car and will likely be great for that with a home charger. I like the SUV shape Needs Falcon doors to be really good.

Sevenfeet | January 12, 2015

It's not the first time that GM has pre-announced a product two years out. But I think GM means business on this one. They got left behind on hybrids. They were late to the game on luxury hybrids. They want to be sure that mass market 200 mile range affordable cars is a place they are competing.

The styling is fine in my book...far more attractive than the BMW i3. The next Nissan Leaf needs to have similar specs (something Nissan has alluded to). The only main criticism from the automotive press I've seen is the hard plasticky nature of the dashboard (since they had to save money somewhere to meet the price point).

Maybe Tesla will have something to show by the New York Auto Show.

mez13526 | January 12, 2015

But it's so ugly! They're all so ugly! Why can't there be just one good looking EV cheaper than $40k!? Just one!

tybert7 | January 12, 2015

I agree with everyone stating how ugly this thing is. Perhaps the others complimenting its looks are imagining the only electric competition will be the even uglier leaf. Yes, compared to that bug eyed frog looking car the bolt is a beauty. I actually find these sorts of designs offensive. Offensive because of the presumption of every other pure electric car maker that the people wanting an electric car don't care about looks.

Part of the reason the model s was so well received was because it looks like a normal sedan. That more fluid and curvy shape is inherently more aesthetically pleasing than a regular hatchback/crossover shape.

You know, you're right. I should have been more specific. Not EVERYONE who wants an electric car does not give a damn about how it looks. The prius looks like an egg on wheels, but people eat it up. Though I sometimes wonder how much that might be the general association with the Toyota brand. People also buy far more corollas and that looks frumpy compared to the mazda 3, especially the 2014 mazda 3. The success of the prius did more to damage the increase in beauty in the world than anything else in the automotive sphere because so many car makers are following blindly down that path of fugly designs.

Not all of us care about environmentalism above all else, and so far, tesla is STILL the only one that gets that.

Maybe the common theme is that differentiation in styling is key, not necessarily ugly styling. Hope springs eternal, otherwise we are going to live in a dark future.

The Hyundai blue will concept looked different, but not ugly... at least from the front. I think one of those set against a leaf with similar performance and range would have done better. Of course Hyundai refused to do anything with that concept other than tease.

Red Sage ca us | January 12, 2015

The way I figure it, there should be no reason to make an ugly car at this price range.

carlos.bernie suggested, "One fear is that because 200 miles and $30K is not achievable, that GM will in essence dump these cars and a company like Tesla that needs to make money on each car will be uncompetitive. I suppose there could be lawsuits..."

This is something I considered, but from the opposite perspective. That is, traditional automobile manufactures will have presumed it is NOT possible to offer an electric car with 200 miles of range of the size, shape, weight and quality of the Model ☰ at its price point. They will accuse Tesla Motors of technology dumping, with the aid of Panasonic, and sue them as a result. They will lose the case of course, when Tesla shows them their books and proves that the price they offer their cars at is completely legitimate and fully profitable.

tybert7 commented, "The prius looks like an egg on wheels, but people eat it up."

I always sort of thought the Prius design was a perfected version of the Pontiac J-2000...

;-)

alcy6

makatron | January 13, 2015

Thing is that I don't think they are planning for the mass market otherwise they'd announce the charger network to support commuting and charging on the road. And just like everybody said, they are seriously ugly!

And when you put into account the amount of recalls GM did just in 2014 alone that'd be enough to keep any sane buyer away from a first gen product from a manufacturer famous for doing things the cheap and dangerous way and then claiming they "did the right thing" and were working on fixing things up while people were dying using their products, in the other hand you have Tesla as a company that truly stands by its products and is focused to guarantee the best experience.

At the end I'd be surprised if this thing can get 160 miles in the real world with real usage, you know where sometimes you go uphill. :)

vperl | January 13, 2015

Just wondering somebody must be an electrical engineer or a real smart person.

If Chevy uses CHAdeMO charging, is the fastest CHAdeMO RATED AT 57 miles an hour ? Many of these chargers are not set for full power have been power down graded .

Seems to me, as just a user, not a expert on charging like many others
the charge time would be 2.5 to 4 hours on a trip each stop.

Someone do the math on a trip from Seattle to any place in California compared to a Tesla.

Bolt owners need a supply of books, loads of reading time is on their horizon.

BTW, I do not need snarkey
posts about spelling or punctuation.

Get over it, trolls .

Detroit SuperCharger | January 13, 2015

5 Reasons the "Bolt" won't affect Tesla Model 3 Sales :

I) No SuperCharger network (free)
II) Little cargo room (the "engine" compartment is chopped in half)
III) No GigaFactory : Battery supply line is meak, and won't scale.
IV) GM has "0" cars capable of 200+ miles today. Tesla has 3 (soon 4)
V) It's fugly.

That being said, I'm interested to see where the battery is placed. My guess is in the front.

makatron | January 13, 2015

@Detroit SuperCharger

Completely agree with you bro

1- no word on charging options on the go and how are users suppose to charge at home
2- if they had a roomy cargo space in the front they would have pop it during the presentation (or at least haven't seen pictures with open)
3- LG might be a good supplier but then again once the gigafactory is working is going to be cheaper for tesla to compete with them
4- Tesla already has the upper hand with functional products on the road today
5- fugly still kinda short to describe it

Pages