Forums

IMPORTANT: New Tesla Models announced on Dutch Autoweek news video: 2015 Model X, 2016 Model 3 + Model R, 2018 Model C ($15,000)

IMPORTANT: New Tesla Models announced on Dutch Autoweek news video: 2015 Model X, 2016 Model 3 + Model R, 2018 Model C ($15,000)

This can be considered as BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just saw the weekly Dutch Autoweek news video (5 minutes). It contains some important Tesla news.

Here is a link to this video: http://www.autoweek.nl/video/4153/journaal-tesla-heeft-grootse-plannen

The first two minutes they talk about Fiat/Chrysler and the Dutch car sales figures of July 2014.

But after about 2 minutes they start talking about the future plans/models of Tesla Motors.

2015 - Tesla Model X
2016 - Tesla Model 3
2016 - Tesla Model R (new Roadster)
2018 - Tesla Model C (City, $15,000)

I have not seen this news anywhere else yet. I would like to ask everyone to just watch the news video (5 minutes only). They do speak Dutch, but still you will at least pick up something from this video. And more importantly, they do even show a photo of the Tesl Model C!!!

Let me know if you like it or not.

And if other media also present the same news, then please post a link in this thread.

We now have a lot more to talk about.

Bye

pvandeloo.ipod | August 5, 2014

http://www.welt.de/motor/article130398121/Tesla-liebaeugelt-mit-kleinem-...

Die Welt, a major German newspaper, also reports on this story.

blue adept | August 5, 2014

Inasmuch as Tesla Motors was both founded in America and is headquartered in the state of California, just what incentive is there for anyone to think that the Dutch have any sort of insider information regarding the plans for the future development of Tesla Motor's vehicle lineup/development plans?

In short, why should anyone think that they know what they're talking about?

"In short, why should anyone think that they know what they're talking about?"

In the German newspaper it is statet, that dutch media has insider sources.

carlgo | August 5, 2014

Good find. Nice looking for a city car, not something awful like the Smart car. Still, doubtful that this is from Tesla, just a nice rendering as some have done here. It is also doubtful that they have official word on the roadmap for future cars and are simply speculating.

$15K...that's like the $35K Model E, not likely.

At some point Tesla will be like Apple with all sort of leaks and analyst speculation. Can't believe some disgruntled/disloyal person hasn't leaked out interesting information by now.

The blond guy wins the Big Hair award, men's category. He must employ 5 people to poof it up every day.

How in the world did all these countries in Europe come up with all these totally different languages when they are so small and so close together? It would be like California and Nevada having different languages.

carlgo | August 5, 2014

Good find. Nice looking for a city car, not something awful like the Smart car. Still, doubtful that this is from Tesla, just a nice rendering as some have done here. It is also doubtful that they have official word on the roadmap for future cars and are simply speculating.

$15K...that's like the $35K Model E, not likely.

At some point Tesla will be like Apple with all sort of leaks and analyst speculation. Can't believe some disgruntled/disloyal person hasn't leaked out interesting information by now.

The blond guy wins the Big Hair award, men's category. He must employ 5 people to poof it up every day.

How in the world did all these countries in Europe come up with all these totally different languages when they are so small and so close together? It would be like California and Nevada having different languages.

carlgo | August 5, 2014

OOPs. Justin Bieber makes the German news? Sign of the apocalypse.

http://ecomento.com/2014/07/22/tesla-roadster-successor-to-forerun-elect...

"While the German magazine cites an anonymous company insider , Tesla Europe has declined to confirm or deny plans for the California carmaker to build the ‘Model C’. A smaller car would undoubtedly raise concerns at BMW, Mercedes, and Nissan, however, as Tesla has already proved it knows how to create desire among buyers.

The Model C, Auto Bild says, will arrive a year later than the $35,000 Model 3 sedan, using lithium-ion batteries of greater energy density than are currently available to offer a compelling electric range despite its modest footprint.

Of less commercial importance would be a ‘Model R’, which could arrive as a successor to Tesla’s very first car, the 2008 Roadster, production for which ceased in 2012."

Remnant | August 5, 2014

MX appears to be the website picture, with rear-view cameras instead of mirrors. This might not mean anything, but it might also signify that Tesla expects regulations to change in that direction by the time MX hits the rods.

Remnant | August 5, 2014

I meant "roads", of course.

Bubba2000 | August 5, 2014

Tesla is very focused on Model S, X, and 3. They are busy deploying SC networks, service centers, and GF. They would need a significant battery breakthrough to deploy a small car with practical range. I don't think Elon would waste time with golf carts.

I think the poofy hair guy is blowing vapor. Speaking of languages: Pipsqueak Switzerland has 4 official languages: Swiss German, French, Italian, and Romansk spoken mostly in the canton of Grisons! Of course, just about everybody there speaks English. I think most of these languages are derived from Latin or Germanic roots. Then it gets more complicated when you consider Finland, Lithuania, and Slavic languages. We used to have a several Americal Indian languages, but they got mostly wiped out along with the the tribes. Africa, India, China, etc got dozens of languages.

negarholger | August 5, 2014

Makes no sense at all. 2018 Tesla needs every penny to ramp up M3... why should they dilute with an can't make real money product.

JZ13 | August 5, 2014

I think the Dutch report is mistaken. Model 3 is 2017. Model R eventually but at least 2 years after Model 3. And Model C has never been discussed by any Tesla executive.

Benz | August 5, 2014

OK, as long as there is no official confirmation about any new model from Tesla Motors, then we should consider it as just a rumour.

Elon Musk: "There are things that you don't know about". Maybe the Model R + C are among those things?

Anemometer | August 5, 2014

Telsa news(+ made up rumours) = site traffic = ad revenue.

Simple.

Watch it get reblogged 1,000 times by next week. Soon it will appear to be a real ruour rather than one just made up.

Probably has a built in dock for an ipad with a new Telsa car control app, to save costs of putting in another screen when you already have one. (see how far that one gets in a week).

up north | August 5, 2014

i just talked to a guy who talked to a guy who talked to a guy who just talked to elon. he said there would be a model c.

Robert Fahey | August 5, 2014

That city car has Europe and China written all over it. It may be just a fantasy in 2014, but it's a promising fantasy.

negarholger | August 5, 2014

But these cars exist in Europe and China already... so why should Tesla do more of the same.

Red Sage ca us | August 5, 2014

Meh.

Car t man | August 6, 2014

@Kleist

because the fact that they exist means there is demand and that consumers want them. Because it is common sense for a company, as long as it feels it can be competitive, to chase that.

Tesla not doing more of the same earned it a specific reputation. That reputation is then helpful also when selling more of the same..

Furthermore, it pushes other industry players towards actions.
Positive, any way you look at it.

Of course, some S owners would prefer the brand would be completely
limited to more exclusive models. Most Mercedes S owners would
prefer it if there were no A, B and other lower end Mercs.
But, the economic interest of a manufacturer is not alligned
with interests of buyers of only one of the classes of vehicles.

Realo.de | August 6, 2014

From GTF, the GERMAN Tesla Fan

Now, it's my turn, unfortunately I'm not good enough in marketing and subtle English. However, let's try:

"PC-Welt" and "Welt": agreed, big newspapers, but not very much respected. I used to say: "if you can't make it good, make it BIG" - they simple have to sell newspapers

Unter dem Namen Model C könnte Tesla bald ein elektrisches Stadtauto auf die Räder stellen. Über solche Überlegungen bei dem Elektropionier berichtet die "Auto Bild" (Ausgabe: 29/2014) und beruft sich auf Unternehmenskreise.

just too good:

könnte: could be, may be; I don't know
bald: sometimes in the future"
Überlegung: may be there are some people that could think about that
berichtet "Autobild": we don't say that, we are not responsible. We just cite another newspaper - blame them!
beruft sich auf Unternehmskreise: the other newspaper claims to know it from "company circles"

An excellent April Fool's Day article. Nothing serious at all!

Benz | August 6, 2014

Maybe it is a bit too early to release that Model C in 2018, but I could imagine that this really could be realised in 2022.

At the Annual Shareholder meeting in June 2014, during the Q&A session, "Dave T" from the Tesla Motors Club did ask a question about future vehicles, and also about a "Generation 4"-vehicle (smaller and cheaper). Elon Musk did not confirm that they would be doing that, but he replied positively. So I think that there really is a chance that there will be a Model C in around 2022.

Jolinar | August 6, 2014

they said 15k euro, not $... so it means $21k

Robert Fahey | August 6, 2014

Why build a little city car? That question was asked a few posts ago. Look at India. They drive little city cars, and are slowly moving toward electric bikes and rickshaws etc. Environmentalism isn't yet "vogue" as in the United States, but time will change that because India is smoggy as hell. China is a prime market for small, electric city cars, and Tesla has massive cachet in China, where American pedigree is valuable. Even Chinese don't really like "made in China."
Europe loves small hatchbacks. Tesla needs to scale WAY UP before building such a thing profitably, but a Tesla subcompact is inevitable because that's where EVs can really thrive outside the US.

SamO | August 6, 2014

200 million e-bikes on the road in China as of 2013 . . . there is clearly a market for inexpensive electric transportation.

http://qz.com/137518/consumers-the-world-over-love-electric-bikes-so-why...

Benz | August 6, 2014

The source of the news (and the skech/illustration also) about the Tesla Model C comes from the German magazine AutoBild (a short while ago they seem to have printed an article in their magazine about the future plans Tesla Motors). So, that's where it all came frome (according to the guy in the left of the Autoweek news video).

JZ13 | August 6, 2014

The issue isn't whether a Model C is needed, I agree there could be a large market for it. The issue is where would the batteries come from? In other words, why starve Model S/X/3 to build a low-margin car? Doesn't make sense. Model C doesn't have a place in the line-up until they are no longer constrained on batteries and that isn't likely to happen for 10 years from now.

david.baird | August 6, 2014

It's clearly false, because the 4th model with be the model "Y" to spell out S-E-X-Y.

Benz | August 6, 2014

@ JZ13

That means that plans for more Gigafactories "are already in the works". They have a new "Secret Master Plan" and they are not showing all their cards, therefore there are many things that we don't know about (yet).

Grinnin'.VA | August 6, 2014

@JZ13 | AUGUST 6, 2014

"The issue isn't whether a Model C is needed, I agree there could be a large market for it. The issue is where would the batteries come from?"

After the initial success of the Model X and Gen3, Tesla can expand very rapidly by buying idle ICE car factories and building more GFs as needed. And this can be profitable. But since Elon wants to supplant ICE cars, substituting BEV cars, and other car manufacturers don't seem to understand the tidal wave that's coming at them, I'd guess that Tesla will step up to the plate and hit another home run, building millions of cars per year. We're now in an early phase of a massive transformation of the auto industry.

Just my opinion. But what's wrong with it?

Ron :)

JZ13 | August 6, 2014

@ Ron, I agree with everything you said. It's just not going to happen by 2018. The GF won't be at full production until 2020. And that entire production is spoken for already. So a 2nd GF wouldn't be fully operational until at least 2022. So while I agree with your outlook, it's just not going to happen for a Model C in 2018 or even 2020. 2022 at the earliest for a Model C.

apsley | August 6, 2014

A Model C would be a logical next step, but it would require a large battery cost reduction. If I recall correctly, the batteries for the original Roadster cost $50K, and for the Model S, $25K. Elon has stated they will get a 30% cost reduction from the GF, so that would be around $17K for the 85kWh battery packs from the GF for the model S. If we assume a 60kWh battery pack for the model C, that would cost around 17 * 60 / 85 or around $12K for the Model C battery pack from the GF. So maybe they could squeak out a $21K (15K Euro) econobox from that.

If they can do it, the ICE car industry would be in serious trouble. Maybe they already are.

bryan.whitton | August 6, 2014

@apsley I agree with you in principle but I question the numbers. I guess the only number I would question is the need for 60kWh battery pack int the C. I would guess that something between 30 and 45 kWh would be doable depending on the size of the car.
If the Model 3 gets by with a guessed at size of 48kWh then I would expect that the C would be less than that.

Benz | August 6, 2014

@ Grinnin'

Why do you think that there is something wrong with your opinion? It's fine.

I like the "tidal wave" metaphor.

apsley | August 6, 2014

@bryan.whitton I guess they would need to have enough kWh to get from one SC to another for long distance trips. I am guessing 60kWh would give a range of 200 miles, but since the C will be much lighter than the S, you could be right: maybe it could be done with 48kWh. In that case, the battery cost would be 17 * 48 / 85 or 10K which would make it easier to build an econobox for $15K.

Benz | August 6, 2014

@ JZ13

Things are going to speed up incredibly in the coming few years. When circumstances change unexpectedly, so does behaviour of people.

Example: when there is sudden danger, people will start reacting differently than they normally would have: they suddenly start running faster than they normally would do.

And one of the most important advantages of Tesla Motors is that we live in the age of the internet. Everybody is online. And this will allow the demand for Tesla EV's to go viral.

Already there are things that we don't know about. Tesla Motors do not show all their cards.

Anemometer | August 6, 2014

Stick in a 25kWh pack. Make it bigger than a smart smaller than an i3. Q00 mile real range and you have something sellable. I'm sure tesla have a picture of one in their car system. Maybe even a clay mockup. Eight they have built a prototype yet. That segment will be busy. Wait till you are able Tom come in and dominate on price but be seen add the mainstream luxury EV makers. Tesla's future "mini" division. Less tech. Just a tacho and range meter.

In other news I heard Elon had bought a private island with Volcano and shark pool. Is inviting journalists who wrote bad reviews of previous cars to come and test the next generation of cars. To warm them up and get them a taste of what is to come ;)

Jeremy Clarkson is top of the hit list, sorry I mean invite list.

Anemometer | August 6, 2014

I rish your crud edict posts. Traping on a frome is greeting emblazoning number of smekking miss streaks.

Benz | August 6, 2014

@ simon

LOL
That's a good one.

grega | August 6, 2014

@lycanthrope

What once was S E X Y
May now be S ☰ X - C
?

Just sayin...

Guy2095 | August 6, 2014

I would expect the Model 3 platform to support hinted at a follow-on Roadster II and a smaller crossover. Just guessing after that I imagine Elon would unveil a truck and after successful roll-out then announce the plan for a very affordable small-car platform by 2024, which would be in 10 years when he says he would be disappointed if an 85kWh weren't down to $8000, along with his intention to hand over management of the well-established company to focus on his other projects.

blue adept | August 7, 2014

@pvandeloo.ipod

Perhaps, but what media outlet doesn't like to claim "insider sources".

Mind you, I'm not belittling the effort, though I am taking it in with a grain or two of salt, what with speculation and hearsay being what it is and all.

Brian H | August 7, 2014

apsley;
What part of "C for city" car don't you understand? Range to bridge SCs for ld travel is exactly what it doesn't require.

Red Sage ca us | August 8, 2014

No Tesla Motors vehicle will ever be released with less than 200 miles (~124 km)range ever again. To reach the mark with a 48 kWh battery pack would require a lightweight vehicle, around 2,800-3,200 lbs (~6,160-7,040 kg) or so. That would make it either a two-seater, or an extremely compact 2+2, which do not sell very well in North America, and are harder to get passing grades for crash testing.

negarholger | August 8, 2014

RS - 200 miles = 320 km

Red Sage ca us | August 8, 2014

DOH! Forgot to carry the two...

Brian H | August 9, 2014

RS;
Um, kg are BIGGER than lb. So you need fewer of them. You need some assistance in doing "reasonableness tests" before typing.

2,800 lbs = 2800/2.2 = 1273 kg. For example.

Red Sage ca us | August 9, 2014

Yeah, I fudged that entire paragraph in my haste.

tranhv68 | August 9, 2014
Brian H | August 10, 2014

tranh;
Not a photo, a computer-generated image. There is no Model R to photograph.

Pages