Forums

Top (4) front plate mounts?

Top (4) front plate mounts?

These are the main (4) I have seen so far:

https://evannex.com/products/evannex-front-license-plate-bracket-for-tes...

http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/2017-2018-tesla-model-3-sns145/

https://www.1975creations.com/product-page/tesla-model-3-front-license-p...

https://torkliftcentral.com/the-law/tesla-model-3-law

And obviously the sticky tape one that comes with the car for states like mine (Virginia)

Has anyone purchased any of these and do they really affect the airflow like all the posters in here have questioned in the past? I cannot imagine it would because of how small the plate is and the wind would wrap around anyway. Getting close to the arrival of my car and needed some feedback if there is any on the brackets.

creativeguy | May 30, 2018

I think the M3 has automatic louvers in the front air input grill. Seems like putting the plate right in front of a system designed to optimize airflow to the battery is a bad idea.

johnmann | May 30, 2018

I think the open area in the front of the Model 3 is sized the way it is for styling and that blocking a portion of it will not affect cooling appreciably. Especially since there is still open space behind the plate for air to circulate to the full area of the louvers.

Vchan08 | May 30, 2018

at this price, you can afford to get 5 no front license plate tickets..

skygraff | May 30, 2018

I went with the Tesla provided mount because I don’t want to drill and I don’t want the potential of damaged louvers because of a bumper tap (bad parallel parkers in the city - doing best to avoid them).

Really like the form factor of the stock mount and am surprised how flush it seems. Aside from a slight edge and the fact that it isn’t shaped like the nose, you’d be hard pressed to think it wasn’t directly mounted to the body. In my driving so far, no appreciable difference to the wh/mile averages (mind you, I’m not doing much Highway driving).

As much as I liked it without the plate, it really looks pretty good with it. If I was in a state where it was optional, I might feel out of place but, compared to everything else in Illinois, it looks damn good.

PessimiStick | May 30, 2018

I won't be mounting a front plate because they look stupid, but if I was, I would get this: https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-platypus-license-plate-mount-1/

sroh | May 30, 2018

I hope we get some scientific data about blocking the vents. In the meantime, I am not going to chance one of these that blocks the vent.

@Vichon, the issue isn't the cost. Here in CA, it's a fix-it ticket. So the issue is the huge hassle of having to put the plate on and taking it to the police station for them to sign off. For those of us who park at meters in SF, it's a guarantee that we are going to get a ticket if we don't have a front plate.

If you are planning on installing and leaving on, I see no reason to use anything other than the OEM one. If you are planning to install for those times that you need it and remove when you don't, I like the platypus that @PessimiStick linked.

yaheya | May 30, 2018

Why not use the one that comes with the car?

Whdame | May 30, 2018

@creativeguy - They do have the louvers but the mounting is in front of them where the vent slots do not move so there is 1" space between the louvers and the plate mount.

@johnmann - That is what I thought about the air flow. It's not enough to stop the air flow around the vents for the battery and it's not like it is enclosed or anything like that.

@Vchan08 - LMAO.....that is almost true in this area. Court costs are $66 and the ticket is $30. So $96.00 for one ticket!!

@skygraff and (Yaheya)- honestly, that is probably what I will end up going with because of the possibility of damage from a small bumper touch. I just really want the front to be bare and keep it that way.

@PessimiStick and sroh - I am stuck in that scenerio where I live across the street from a state trooper and he has been a neighbor for (9) years. I basically have to put a plate on because if he mentions it to me and I don't, it make ruin a neighborly "friendship". Plus as you saw above, it's almost a $100 if I get a ticket. I would like a mount where I can remove it at will and like the one you linked above...

Thanks everyone for the input !!

Anthonygonsalvesjr | May 30, 2018

I live in MA where they require a front plate. I had mine mounted with the factory adhesive and never looked back. It’s perfectly fine and looks as good as a front plate can. It is actually formed to the nose which is nice, and unlike some of the above it doesn’t compromise the sensors (cravenspeed) or risk airflow (the law).

Whdame | May 30, 2018

@Anthonygonsalvesjr - Thanks. I think I found a photo of one in NY and it looks flush due to the molding of the holder. I think this is it? maybe?

https://electrek.co/2017/10/23/tesla-model-3-front-license-plate-new-york/

Anthonygonsalvesjr | May 30, 2018

Hard to say. Looks about right tho. The mold of the plate holder is definitely flush, if it weren’t the adhesive couldn’t stick.
I called craven speed and since there’s is mounted using the tow hook it blocks a sensor. That can’t be good and I personally don’t trade functionality over form.

billlake2000 | May 30, 2018

Fixit tickets used to be free. $100 aint no longer free and its a dang insult the courts get to charge that. I say we stage a sit down.

creativeguy | May 30, 2018

Glad so many Tesla engineers are commenting here about the mechanics of the car.

johnmann | May 30, 2018

I still highly recommend my method. Fits like a glove, low profile, inconspicuous, and only cost me $7.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/alternative-front-plate-mounting

Whdame | May 31, 2018

@Anthonygonsalvesjr - Thanks for calling about that. There is no way I am blocking a sensor so that one is out. I really think I am going with the stock mount or do what Johnmann did above. His looks great too.

@johnmann - Wow, that actually looks like the best one yet !!! puts the plate off the front area the way I wanted it. I just need to find a way to make the top part like you did. I don't have "spare metal" or a way to cut it if I did. I will figure something out. Maybe just more plastic will do.

johnmann | May 31, 2018

Whdame, any kind of durable material that can withstand being exposed would work. It doesn’t require a lot of strength. I used an expired credit card as the template for cutting my supports, they might work well as the actual support.

Whdame | May 31, 2018

Thank you johnmann. Now I just need my car. I'm about (2) months out.

miayorkie91 | January 15, 2020

Any suggestions for a front license plate holder for 2020 Model X that doesn't require drilling. Or blocking air flow to batteries..

AstroSteve | January 15, 2020

Front plates required in Jersey. I have "The Bandit" from 1975 Creations. Installed 10 months ago. It doesn't block any airflow or sensors. Happen to think the car looks better with it as the naked blank front looks a little like something is missing IMHO. Still would prefer Jersey drop the front plate. Dreaming of a Model Y to replace our other ICE car and would go same route without any hesitation.