Forums

Rattling

Rattling

Howdy. I was wondering if any of you have taken your M3 to a service center for the driver side dashboard rattling sound. If so, have they identified and corrected? I hate to even ask as its not a big deal especially when music is playing. But sometimes I drive in silence and I notice the rattling when on a rough patch of road regardless of speed. My VIN is in the 23k range.

CASEMAN | June 11, 2018

I'm with you! Haven't taken it in yet and dint kniw others had the experience. It is annoying when the radio is not on. My Vin is 26k range. I'm too far from a service center to pop in but will want to have it addressed. Hope to hear someone else's service experience with this.

rxlawdude | June 11, 2018

What's interesting is that the M3 warranty specifically excludes rattles from coverage. It will be interesting to see how Tesla addresses these little nits (and in the scheme of things, they are just nits), given the language of exclusion.

It would have been better for Tesla to not put that language into the warranty; perhaps they could limit rattles and creaks to 12,000 miles/12 months as a compromise.

That said, I've heard of no one who has been told that Tesla wouldn't address rattles and creaks.

randydarr | June 11, 2018

Ours (33K range) was rattling a bit but only with the fan on- it was coming from fan for sure and it was distracting enough to have me contact Tesla. I called Tesla and they were beyond helpful- scheduled me to take it in within 4 days. With the new software update on Friday, the rattle has disappeared. I'm going to cancel the service appt. Hope this helps.

CASEMAN | June 12, 2018

@randydarr - Great to hear your experience with service. The rattling I am hearing is any and most time spent driving. I was hoping I could live with it but it grates on me. I will call service and see if I can have it looked at.

rxlawdude - Agreed. That would be the perfect compromise to ensure those rattles that came with the car could be addressed.

Gordnbiers | June 12, 2018

It could be the steering rack. I had a rattling noise in my 3 and I took it in and the service center told me that it was normal and it's the steering rack. They said they improved the pieces for the steering rack on newer 3s so they replaced some parts. I actually just got my 3 back yesterday and it seems to be better.

The rattling noise I was getting was on bumpier roads when traveling less than 20 mph.

Hope this helps!

rdavis | June 12, 2018

THere is sometimes a rattle in the driver visor if it's flipped down. It doesn't always seat snug in the clip, but typically if I bump it in, it stops the rattle... when the visor is "up" it never rattles... only when it's down and then only occasionally and is easily fixed to stop...

jforbes77 | June 13, 2018

I just noticed this rattling sound this morning as well with the radio off

vmulla | June 13, 2018

I had an annoying rattling sound from the console somewhere below the screen. It drove me nuts because that was the only sound in a quiet car. I spent weeks trying to locate the source with no luck. I would make my wife drive the car while I had my ear as close to the problem area as possible trying to find out what was causing the rattle. Finally I gave up and took it to the service center.
They fixed it!! They acknowledged that it was one of the most difficult problems to isolate. They even told me they had to drive around for 40 miles to find and fix it. Considering I had no luck for weeks, I'm just happy they eliminated the problem.
Tesla service team is amazing!
Don't worry too much about what's included/excluded in the warranty. Time and again I found out that Tesla will go over and beyond to make things right for the customer.

rxlawdude | June 13, 2018

@vmulla, that's great news. And what I've come to expect from Tesla, in spite of the warranty exclusions.

Pants | June 13, 2018

I've noticed I get a rattling under the screen when the phone dock cover is up. Once I push it down, the rattle stops.

More recently however, I'm starting to hear a rattle from somewhere over by the passenger seat. I have a charge port lid-related appt tomorrow. I'll mention the rattle and see what they do.

Daryl | June 14, 2018

I heard a faint rattling from the front left side, and finally traced it to the speaker cover right in the corner against the windshield. It wasn't only when the radio was on. I finally reached up and pushed down on the cloth over the speaker and it stopped.

Not sure how permanent that will be.

Stewart | December 18, 2018

I’ve had a pretty annoying rattle coming from the dash practically since the M3 was new. Just took it in yesterday and am awaiting the result. I will post an update when i get it. Radio off, rough road, constant rattle.

DESJ | November 30, 2019

I have a Tesla 3 that has 16,000 miles on it. Since it was a few weeks old I could hear a rattling noise coming from the front. Finally got fed up and took it to service center in the Bay area. Have done it two times and every time they've done EVERYTHING they can to NOT fix it under warranty. They want to charge me $195 for locating the issue even though I have found it where it's from and have recorded the sound. The Santa Clara service center were THE WORST service I have ever encountered in my life. They refused to fix it because they themselves were not able to reproduce the issue. I asked them to just fix it, told them where the noise was coming from, and even agreed to pay just to get the sound to go away, yet they refused. My experience with Tesla customer service so far; USELESS! It has taken the joy of owning a brand new car away, knowing what lays ahead. Feels like getting service done under warranty is going to be like pulling out teeth, so I'm seriously considering selling the car. So far the piece with the cameras right under the rear-view mirror and the driver door rattle intermittently. I can tell the quality of the work done is not high, and there are areas where the car is great (software for example auto-steer) and there are areas that have been overlooked (quality checks and details).

CST | December 1, 2019

Go to Dublin... They have a team that specializes in rattles.