Forums

Traffic Aware Cruise Control in V 2018.24.1

Traffic Aware Cruise Control in V 2018.24.1

From the release notes: 'When taking a highway exit or interchange with Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) turned on, your vehicle decelerates as needed, but will not bring your vehicle to a complete stop. While your vehicle decelerates, the blue circle around the set cruise speed will rotate to indicate this feature is activated.'

Why? If there is a car stopped/stopping ahead of our car, why not stop? I'm unable to understand the logic behind this.

Any insights into this will be helpful.

Iwantmy3 | July 6, 2018

I have used this. When I got to the end of the ramp and there was a car stopped on front of me, my car stopped.

I believe that they are saying that the car will not come to a stop if there is not a car on front of you. The EAP does not recognize stop signs or red lights and will not know how to deal with an intersection.

vmulla | July 6, 2018

@iwantmy3, in that case its a very poor write up in the release notes.

Now I'm confused, what is the behavior I am to expect? The limitations around stop lights, signs, intersections was always there, and its a limitation even if the car is not on the highway exit/interchange - so why is the language so specific?

We need more info like your own experience to guide our expectations.

vmulla | July 6, 2018

@iwantmy3, in that case its a very poor write up in the release notes.

Now I'm confused, what is the behavior I am to expect? The limitations around stop lights, signs, intersections was always there, and its a limitation even if the car is not on the highway exit/interchange - so why is the language so specific?

We need more info like your own experience to guide our expectations.

PessimiStick | July 6, 2018

TACC prevents you from running into the rear of a car in front of you. It will not prevent you from running a red light/stop sign/getting T-boned. The release notes are written the way they are because the car *acts* like it may stop. It slows down on the ramp after exiting the highway -- but they're making sure you know it's *not* going to stop.

gmkellogg | July 6, 2018

@PessimiStick great clarification.

CST | July 6, 2018

My car never slows down... I have to disengage everything.

EVRider | July 6, 2018

I don’t have these release notes, but the excerpt in the OP is just saying that TACC will slow you down if you take an exit. This has nothing to do with stopping for a car in front of you — that will work as it always has. This means if you take an exit that requires you to stop at the end of a ramp, you need to do the braking.

vmulla | July 6, 2018

Aaah, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Now for the follow up question. Does the car now take the exits/interchanges by itself?

Kathy Applebaum | July 6, 2018

@vmulla "Does the car now take the exits/interchanges by itself?"

Sort of? I find that if I'm in a lane that would exit or be an interchange, the car takes it. If there's a split at an interchange, and I have nav on, the car takes the correct path. If there's a split at an exit and I signal just the right amount ahead, the car takes the correct path, but I'm awful at getting the right amount ahead, so I just disengage for and steer manually those.

Red Sage ca us | July 6, 2018

vmulla: Elon Musk always said 'onramp to offramp' was the goal for this variety of Autopilot. I know for certain that around Los Angeles, most onramps and offramps are such that I can completely ignore the orange/amber speed warning signs. However, on older parts of the 110 North heading into Pasadena, the offramps are much, much shorter than everywhere else. And when it comes to offramps from I-40 in Tennessee, they are shorter still, so that you absolutely MUST heed the speed limit signs if you do not wish to have an accident. I make a distinction between 'to' and 'through'. So basically, once you have made it 'to' an offramp, you should be ready to take over manually from Autopilot.

SolArray | July 6, 2018

Every interchange requires an alert driver. The variations are endless. Many freeways have "no-stop" transitions with exit ramps that need reduced speed, may have sharp or gradual turns, and lead directly into an on-ramp of the next highway with perhaps nothing more than a Yield warning. Stay sharp, accelerate/brake/cancel when needed [it may be TA but it's still "CC"].

EVRider | July 7, 2018

The release note referred to TACC, not Autosteer, so the question about whether the car will take exits on its own isn’t relevant. Presumably, before the update, TACC would continue at the set speed if you took an exit, but now it will recognize that you’ve taken an exit and slow down.