Forums

17 inch wheel for model 3

17 inch wheel for model 3

Planning ahead for the winter months when I take delivery of my model 3. Will 17 x 7.5 wheels fit on the model 3? I already have a winter tires/wheel setup for my current car. Thanks

BlueWonder | July 29, 2018

Thanks for any info.

Tesla2018 | July 29, 2018

Bolt pattern, offset and centerbore would need to match. Honda Ridgeline wheels should work since they matched when I found a site that listed matching sized rims but they also have different diameter wheel options but I dont know if offset needs to change if wheel diameter or rim width changes. Dont think the tires are the same size on the Honda, only the rims.

tm4000m | July 31, 2018

Also need to make sure the brakes fit.

JuJo0 | July 31, 2018

I would contact your SC and see if they can get you a detailed list of what 17 inch wheels are compatible with the Model 3, as well as other information.

pmaynes | June 17, 2019

Did 17" wheels work?

Syed.Hosain | June 17, 2019

The likely problem will be the brake and caliper fitting inside the wheel. If you already have the wheel from your other car, you can do a test fit and check ...

gmr6415 | June 17, 2019

I would suggest watching this video starting at about 22 minutes. After changing wheel size there is a pop up on the touchscreen for resetting the sensors based on wheel size. There is no selection for 17" wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhsL_crksjo

lbowroom | June 17, 2019

I realize this is a necro thread, but so much win here I have to comment.

"I would contact your SC and see if they can get you a detailed list of what 17 inch wheels are compatible with the Model 3"

Say what? why would Tesla maintain a list of aftermarket wheels that are "compatible". It's there job to ensure the wheel and tire package "they" sell are compatible.

"There is no selection for 17" wheels."

True, but you use this as evidence of what? We know Tesla doesn't sell any 17" wheels. Those selections are only for the 18", 19", and 20" wheel/tire packages that Tesla sells. That message is prompted by sensing different TPMS sensor serial numbers. Furthermore, all 3 packages have roughly equivalent rolling diameters, very small correction if any depending on inflation and remaining tread they may overlap.

gmr6415 | June 17, 2019

@lbowroom, I agree. I have no idea why the reset asks for a wheel size, but if it weren't relevant why would it ask to select a wheel size at all? You would think there wouldn't be a pop up at all. It would recalibrate based on new sensors and go about its way.

lbowroom | June 17, 2019

I thought it may be a grip level calibration. I swear that the first time I nailed the throttle with new wheels and tires before the calibration question came up the car swung out 30 degrees sideways and then never again more than 5 degrees.

gmr6415 | June 17, 2019

@lbowroom, I was wondering if it has to do with the speedometer calibration. I've never really been able find anything that talks about how the speedometer works. There is an electronic motor speed sensor in one end of the motor, but calculating road speed from that sensor would still be dependent on overall tire diameter, not just revolutions.

That is unless the speedo is completely GPS and not dependent on motor revolutions at all. That could be tested if you could sit still and spin the tires such as on a dyno. If the speedo is GPS, spinning the tires wouldn't result in a reading on the speedo.