Forums

Window Tint in San Diego

Window Tint in San Diego

If you are still happy with the window tint installed in your older cars in prior years, and the same installer has now done the same for your Model 3, please share your experience (who, quality, cost, etc.)

Alex_SD | August 2, 2018

San Diego tint in La Mesa. The best!
3m crystalline $247 for the side windows only. They’re not touching the rear window unfortunately...

jefjes | August 2, 2018

Trimline in Reno did my Prius, Leaf, Rogue and now my Model 3. The tint is Llumar's top ceramic with 35 front sides and 15 rear sides plus one whole peace rear glass. The PPF is also Llumar front bumper, headlights third of hood, A-pillars, mirrors, door edges, top of the rear bumper, and I had them put a strip across the trunk lid edge since my I press there when closing the trunk. Tint and PPF came to $1,473.42 and we're very happy with the work.

RES IPSA | August 2, 2018

I am going to use Monumental Worx in Mira Mesa next week. I have seen good reviews on other posts and friends have used them. I will not be using 3m crystalline due to people's complaints about blue light. More

They are charging $550 for all side windows and the front window. That is with heat reducing ceramic tinting. More expensive tinting will reduce more heat, but not that much more to justify spending 2-3 times more (in my opinion). I am going to hold off on the roof and see how the factory tinting ends up being. But they will do the roof in one piece for $250-$350 more (I can't remember the exact quote).

They also will wrap the center console with Xpel Stealth film for $80 (protect it and stops fingerprints) and wrap the door handles with clear wrap (I have heard the handles get very hot) for $40.

Alex_SD | August 2, 2018

Front window?? You mean windshield? The top 4 inches of the windshield?
The roof is already heavily tinted. Usually you don’t put tint over exiting tint... it’s a waste of money!

Yes... I meant the windshield... I username is synonymous with all vehicles, not just electric.

A lot of tint places pushed the tinting of the roof in a big way. But I read that the car comes with infrared and UV tinting on the entire roof except the bottom portion in the way back. They all said that was the most expensive to do in one piece because it is 60 inches. I didn't buy into it.

Is it a bad idea to tint the top 4 inches of the windshield?

Alex_SD | August 2, 2018

No, that’s fine. Only the top 4” are legal in CA.
Make sure you don’t pick really dark tint for the side windows. In CA is illegal to tint the driver and front passenger windows... I did it with light tint on mine...
Yes, I agree, 3m crystalline has a blue/green hue. It looks gorgeous on black but not on light colors...

Thanks, and I am aware of the law in CA. I have always used 50% tint on the side windows and never had a problem with the police. But I have purposely rolled down my front windows as I have been getting pulled over on two occasions. I plan on using 70% on the windshield. My understanding is that the Model S and X come with 70% embedded in the glass from the factory.

jefjes | August 2, 2018

I didn't do the top of the windshield since the forward-looking cameras and rain detection is up there. I also didn't get the top over the driver tinted because it seems fine and I bought the Tesla sunshade for when I have to park outside plus a windshield removable shade at Walmart for $13.

@jefjes: Good point... I wonder if the tint on the windshield would interfere with the camera and rain detection? Do you have any idea if it would interfere or you just played it safe and didn't take the chance?

M3NOICE | August 2, 2018

@EV
What kind of tint is that? CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramics? or Photosync?

CeraLuxe is what I will put on next week... Photosync was way more expensive and the guy was honest and told me Photosync only had about 20% more heat reduction. CeraLuxe is the quote for $550 for all side windows and the windshield from Monumental Worx in SD

But is there a difference for the windshield? Will one not interfere with the camera and detection?

Alex_SD | August 2, 2018

@jefjes
The way the windshield is designed, you cannot tint in front of the camera. The tint will be two bands on both sides of the rear viewing mirror assembly...

@Alex_SD: So I don't need to worry about the tinting the front windshield regarding that causing interference with the instruments?

M3NOICE | August 2, 2018

Thanks EV.

I will stop by San Diego Tint to see what they recommend for Red. My wife dislikes dark tints (70-60 probably OK)

@Alex
Does the car look weird without tinting the back window? One tint shop told me that someone tinted the 6 side windows only then cam back to tint the back because it looked "off"

Alex_SD | August 2, 2018

No, it looks ok. I couldn’t tint the rear window since the installer refused to do it and I also have a rear view dash cam (BlackVue) and I want maximum visibility in my underground parking at night...

M3NOICE | August 2, 2018

I see. Thanks

@Alex_SD: So I don't need to worry about the tinting the front windshield regarding that causing interference with the instruments?

@Bullet: The roof comes with tint that protects against infrared and UV light. The way back part of the roof does not have tint. The most expensive piece is the big roof part. I have heard people like Alex_SD say ti looks good, and I have no doubt that it does, but I find it unnecessary to put tint over tint? You can always go back and have them do the roof later on if you think it looks weird. That is what I plan on doing

Alex_SD | August 2, 2018

@EV
No, IMHO, I think you should be fine. But I didn’t engineer this car...

Thanks... I just wanted your best guess...

idoggmd | August 2, 2018

Hey guys,
I would recommend SD Tint on Miramar road.
I’ve tinted several of my cars there and the owner knows his stuff.
Tinted all windows including windshield and back window and it looks great for $550

Goti | August 4, 2018

Thank you all for the excellent discussion. I will tint only the 4 side windows at 60 or 70% at SD Tint.
@Alex_SD, you'd said the blue/green hue of 3M Crystalline looks gorgeous on black, seems to me it should also look good on MSM. Otherwise, anyone has experience using CeraLuxe?

Goti | August 4, 2018

Thank you all for the excellent discussion. I will tint only the 4 side windows at 60 or 70% at SD Tint.
@Alex_SD, you'd said the blue/green hue of 3M Crystalline looks gorgeous on black, seems to me it should also look good on MSM. Otherwise, anyone has experience using CeraLuxe?

jefjes | August 4, 2018

@EV neophyte- Alex_SD is correct as I attended an EV event today and another owner said they don't tint where the cameras are. For myself, I'm 6'4" and don't want to be looking at a tint line in my line of sight so that's another reason I don't want the top 4" tint in the front but many people love it that way.

Jazer | September 5, 2018

This Tesla Model 3:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p3YJQA6K4M had MOTOSHIELD PRO NANO-CERAMIC TINT installed on it.

Blocks up to 99% of UV and IRR rays (heat) and has better performance ratings than 3M crystalline. They are based out of the Los Angeles area. Check their Tesla packages out here:https://www.motoshieldpro.com/product-page/precut-ceramic-tint-film-for-...

Just need to find a good installer and you can save yourself a lot of $$$. You are welcome Tesla Family :)

StatsApp | October 4, 2018

Based on my research and experience, Auto Armour in San Diego, is the best one for window tinting and paint protection film. Ask for Evan. He is very patient and knowledgeable and explains all the options carefully.
Their prices are very competitive and their work is clean and flawless.

I had the Xpel applied to the front and parts of the back and used 3M Crystalline on the windows. Unlike other films, Crystalline does not show rainbows when looking at the window with polarized sunglasses. I have taken two Model S cars to them.

jrn324 | July 20, 2019

I called SD Tint today and they no longer carry 3M due to warranty issues. They also said all of the 3M film has issues. Anyone else heard this?