Forums

Why is the X so "garage stupid"?

Why is the X so "garage stupid"?

My favorite feature of my X is that is shows a diagram of what I'm approaching when I park and when I get within 12 inches it gives a "stop" warning. It is also my least favorite feature because it constantly tells me to stop because the sides of my car are within 12 inches of the garage door opening. How is it that the Tesla car knows that I'm at my home garage so it will open and close the door automatically, but it doesn't know that I have to be within a foot of the side of my garage door frame when I'm entering or exiting? So every day as I park at home the car is screaming STOP and every day when I leave the car is screaming STOP! How is it that a car can be that smart and that stupid at the same time. If I ever am about to hit something in my garage, I'd never know because all it does is complain the entire time I'm entering or exiting my garage. I get that Elon probably has a garage the size of my house, but what about normal drivers?

lilbean | August 25, 2018

You'll get used to it.

bob | August 26, 2018

+1 to both wmyers & 'bean. I know the sequence of beeps and tones as I enter my garage. If it sounds 'off' I know I'm 2" too far to the left or right. Another alternative is to auto park it. The bad news is I can't do that at my own garage as the driveway is too steep entering the garage. It creates a blind spot as the vehicle is entering the garage and the sensors can't determine the depth of the garage. It also fails to back out automatically since the sensors think it might be backing off a cliff where there's no pavement. It's about a 15% grade.

lilbean | August 26, 2018

I park within inches in my garage. The car screams at me. http://i.imgur.com/JOB5YC0.jpg

TeslaJ | August 26, 2018

@wmyers
Have you set the side clearance in your packing settings to low so it expect narrow spaces?

bob | August 27, 2018

hey 'bean I'll see you and raise you: https://imgur.com/a/32rjWDV

lilbean | August 27, 2018

Nice!

Triggerplz | August 27, 2018

Lilbean and Bob well what can I say :-)

https://imgur.com/a/hQggw

bob | August 27, 2018

@Trigg - wrong sandbox. That looks way too easy to get in and out of.

lilbean | August 27, 2018

T is spoiled!

davidahn | August 28, 2018

Wow, you guys are brave to squeeze into those spaces. Using autopark/summon?

wmyers | August 28, 2018

@TeslaJ. What settings? Also, how do people get the car to autopark when it's telling itself to stop?

lilbean | August 28, 2018

No way. Summon won't work in tight spaces.

sp_tesla | August 28, 2018

Like EM explained he made a huge mistake by trying to replace human superiority by software control robots. (Example: Human Vs Robots connecting hoses).

bob | August 28, 2018

Like ‘bean no way to auto park in my garage. Besides being too close to the sidewalls - my driveway is too steep so the sensors won’t even attempt it. Like I mentioned earlier. I’ve gotten EM used to the beeps and chimes. If they sound wrong I know the alignment into the garage is off

Redmiata98 | August 29, 2018

Due to narrow clearance, my vehicle rarely enters my garage with autopark. It DOES come out of the garage using autopark. I use the exit daily and although it beeps, it DOES move out on its own and usually on the first try. I find the autopark exit to be much safer and it has not (yet) hit either side of the garage entrance frame over the past 4 years. Yes, I have the narrow settings activated and occasionally the car will autopark going into the garage but it requires numerous retries to the point of being more effort than it is worth.

kevin | August 29, 2018

I wish my X wouldn't lock its doors when I'm at designated locations, like home.

Redmiata98 | August 30, 2018

Turn off autolock
Walk-away Locking
Doors and trunks can automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying the key.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Settings > Doors & Locks > WALK-AWAY DOOR LOCK.

georgehawley.fl.us | September 2, 2018

Suggestions:

@lilbean: Get rid of the rolling shelves.
@bob: Get a Model 3 or new garage-your choice.
@trigger: Pull into your garage instead of backing in. It is too hard on the neck watching a ball game the way you are doing it now.

Our X shares a large opening with a golf cart. The cart is expendable...

Triggerplz | September 2, 2018

@George lmao

lilbean | September 3, 2018

Where would I store all the crap? And the shelves don’t roll. :)

bob | September 3, 2018

@georgehawley.fl.us - simple solution... if Trig puts his TV in 'beans garage, the sofa into my garage, then there'd be enough room in Trig's garage for both 'bean's and my X.

Triggerplz | September 3, 2018

The main purpose of education is to help students gain the knowledge and skills so that they will be able to function in society.

That's so true, And the main purpose of this flag is to get this inappropriate bullshit off the Tesla forums

lilbean | September 3, 2018

Why use the essay service when you can get a fake license from the general forum spam?

Triggerplz | September 3, 2018

:-)

bob | September 3, 2018

So that whole “”essay” was clickbait so I’d buy essay writing services? This fish ain’t biting.