Forums

Corded Mobile Connector vs. Gen 2 Mobile Connector

Corded Mobile Connector vs. Gen 2 Mobile Connector

I'm looking to get a new/second mobile connector to use as a semi-permanent EVSE for my Tesla (I rent, so can't install the Wall Connector, but do have a NEMA14-50 outlet available), and I'm confused by the pricing of the "Corded Mobile Connector" at $520 vs. the "Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle" at $300. The latter seems to be superior (has interchangeable cord ends), but is less than 60% of the price?

Am I missing something? Why would anyone buy the "Corded Mobile Connector"?

There's probably some durability advantage to having the fixed/permanent cord attached to the "Corded Mobile Connector", but does that outweigh the flexibility and lower cost of the "Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle"? Does the "Corded Mobile Connector" have something more included that's not obvious based on the information on the Tesla web store?

Rocky_H | October 4, 2018

It's not just a durability difference. It's a power level difference.

The mobile connector is actually a 2nd generation mobile connector, and is limited to 32A output. The corded mobile connector is based on the 1st generation mobile connector and has a maximum output of 40A.

tcfila | October 4, 2018

I've been thinking the exact same thing. What would the difference in miles/hour be? 5ish?

Rocky_H | October 4, 2018

@tcfila, It's going to depend on what vehicle you're talking about, because the bigger less efficient vehicles like the X will have a slower "miles per hour" charging rate than the 3. I have an S, and at 240V 40A, it's about 29 miles per hour. I just run a ratio to scale it to other amp levels:
32A/40A = X mph/29 mph
So that would be about 23 mph, or 6-ish mph difference for the S. More for the 3 and less for the X.

bp | October 5, 2018

It's easier to think in amount of battery charge added per hour.

A 14-50 adapter will charge up to 40A, which is about 9 KWhr per hour. For a 100 battery pack, it would take about 9 hours to go from 10% to 90% of charge. A Gen 1 UMC will also charge at 40A, using the 14-50 plug.

A Gen 2 UMC is limited to 32A, which is about 7 KWhr per hour. For a 100 battery pack, it would take about 11.5 hours to go from 10% to 90% charge.

Smaller battery packs (an S/X 75 or a 3 LR or SR) will take less time to charge.

We have an X 100D and S 100D in our garage. One is on an HPWC with 100A circuit and the other is using a 14-50 outlet with the connector (charging at 40A).

Bilbao | June 15, 2019

I purchased the corded-mobile-connector for my 5/1/2019 m3 for my permanent home charger.
It does power at 40amp continuous and up to 10KWhr per hour.

A bit pricey, but it allows me to leave my umc gen 2 in my car for road trips.

jv59 | June 22, 2019

Does it make sense to buy corded mobile connector for model 3? Is it going to charge faster then gen 2 mobile connector?

TeslaTap.com | June 22, 2019

@jv59 - The M3 includes a mobile connector for 32 amps. You can buy an optional 40 amp mobile connector with fixed NEMA 14-50. The SR charger is limited to 32 amps, so buying the 40 amp mobile connector doesn't add anything for that model. Personally, I don't think it's worth buying the 40 amp MC, but it does charge 25% faster on the MR/LR.

evan.callicoat | July 15, 2019

I found a link to the CMC manual, which is surprisingly difficult to find a link to, but since I actually received my CMC in the mail today I can confirm this manual's imagery/descriptions match the device itself, so figured I'd link it here:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Corded_Mobile_Connector_1...

wundercar | July 15, 2019

I bought the Gen2 mobile connector so I could keep my original mobile connector in the car and not have to unplug and pack it up every time I go on an overnight trip. I have an S75D and it does charge a bit slower at 32 amps, but it really makes no difference at all; I still get the charge I need overnight.
Be aware, though, that the Gen2 only comes with a 5-15 adapter, You will also have to purchase a separate 14-50 adapter for another $35.

Techy James | July 17, 2019

@jv59 Your answer would depend on if you have SR+, MR, or LR version of Model 3. If you have SR+ your capped at 32 Amp max charging rate. So for the SR+ there would be no advantage of the Gen 2 Cable over Corded Mobile Connector as you would cap out at ~ 30 mph.
The MR (Discontinued) and LR can support 40 Amp Charging rate which would result in a charge rate of ~ 37 mph.
This is also a 3rd option and that is the Wall Connector that can take up to 60 amp and Charge at 48 amp which only the LR variants would benefit and that would result in charge rate of ~ 46 mph.
Since I already had the NEMA 14/50 adapter I use a variant of the Wall Connector with the 14-50 NEMA adapter. For me, it was best option A) $500 versus $520 cost. B) Electrician wanted extra $800 to wire for Tesla Wall Connector with 60 AMP circuit. C) It freed my Gen 2 Cable to store in car just in case I need a charger cord.

Techy James | July 17, 2019

If your interested in the Wall Connector with 14-50 NEMA Adapter it can be purchased in the Tesla Shop using link: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/wall-connector-...
Note here have it email you when it's available as it tends to sell out quickly.

TeslaTap.com | July 17, 2019

@Techy - I was told by a MR owner that it is capped at 32 amps as well. Only LR gets up to 48 amps (with a HPWC) and 40 amps with any MC (v1, v2).

TeslaTap.com | July 17, 2019

I may not have been clear above. It is 40 amps on LR with MC Gen1, or MC Gen2 with non-removable NEMA 14-50 connector. The Gen 2 MC that comes with the car is limited to 32 amps on all cars.