Forums

Model 3 Performance range seems consistently 10-15% below range claimed by battery -

Model 3 Performance range seems consistently 10-15% below range claimed by battery -

I have the Model 3 performance with the Performance upgrade package. I don't know whether others have experienced this or not but my battery seems to deplete faster than it should even with AC off and in Chill mode, no hard acceleration. I just drove a 40 mile round trip and the battery says it has lost 44 miles of charge. This was mostly freeway driving at the speed limit. Is this due to the performance tires? Should I assume therefore that a max range of 310 miles is really only 279 real world miles?

Magic 8 Ball | October 7, 2018

YMMV

serendipity | October 7, 2018

It doesn't vary at all. It is usually exactly 10% lower, unless of course I unleash sport mode in which case ABAO.

I wanted to know if this is what other owners also see.

ST70 | October 7, 2018

@tirthankar.lahiri- why did you buy the performance model if you're going to put it in chill mode....I don't understand. Do you also buy a Porsche and remove half of the spark plugs?

carlk | October 7, 2018

A lot of it actually comes from the more sticky summer tire if that's what you got.

Magic 8 Ball | October 7, 2018

Follow the adventures of Bighorn.
He has over 20K on his and regularly beats the rated MPGe.
Your car may have an issue but many, even in whatever mode, still do not drive efficiently.
The only way to determine if it is actually you, or the car (without trying to get service involved), would be to put yourself behind the wheel of another one and see what you get.

Thanks for your answers. Chill mode is fine for commuting in slow traffic. Sport mode is what I bought the car for and when I use it, I don’t have any expectations of range.

calvin940 | October 7, 2018

@serendipity

Are you being all performancey when you drive ? I suspect that kind of driving will eat into the battery. I know that when I drive it aggressively, my mileage varies. My answer might be a bit simplistic but I suspect it is a key factor.

As I said, I never look at range when driving and accelerating fast. I know that physics is physics.

I found this chart to be very helpful and it seems what I am seeing is probably typical of the performance upgrade wheels and tires :

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/tesla-model-s-x-3-range-at-55-60-65...

Anyway, no car I have ever driven has come close to matching EPA estimates for fuel consumption.

itsnice2be | October 7, 2018

I use chill mode when it is raining and the roads are wet.

ODWms | October 7, 2018

I’m not getting anywhere near adversities. But I’d suspect a lot of that is due to my being a new owner (1 week yesterday), and it being a physical impossibility to drive in a normal, civilized fashion. I haven’t even had a chance to try “Chill Mode” yet. I am curious though. So I’m hopeful at some point I’ll be able to try that out.

To the point of the OP, if the numbers are actually lower, Tesla should advertise it as what it is. Personally, I found it hard to believe even the AWD non-P would have the same mileage as the RWD, let alone the P version.

djharrington | October 7, 2018

On my RWD 3, consumption dropped around 20Wh/mi after a couple thousand miles. A large amount of that was likely tire break-in. My P3+ is around 260Wh/mi and dropping, but I just removed the 4S tires, so now I need to break-in the new tires (AS 3+). I suspect I’ll get right around 240Wh/mi in the end if I am driving normally. That would essentially give me rated range.

jb1120 | October 7, 2018

Djharrington: why did u put on new tires? What did u do with the pilot 4s?

djgarrett21 | October 7, 2018

After 1000 miles on my AWD consumption has dropped from 280 Wh/mi when new to about 240 Wh/mi. Lots of factors at play but these cars do seem to have a break in period.

gballant4570 | October 7, 2018

wh/mile is the number to look at and use. Range displayed in miles does not give actionable information.

drjeaton | October 8, 2018

FWIW, I have an M3 AWD and I have noticed about a 15-20% difference than stated mileage.

Jbosch | October 8, 2018

How many of you are using Regenerative Braking. Im using it now. If you are not that will definitely deplete your battery faster in my opinion depending on your driving as your using the breaks more. Regenerative Braking should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJLaNcX-ZOU

https://www.tesla.com/blog/magic-tesla-roadster-regenerative-braking

Hope is helps

nailsmails | October 8, 2018

I drive in "Chill" 80% of the time to reduce battery usage and for a more relaxed ride.
If I have it in sport mode I'm more prone to use it.
I'm a family man and this is our family car, I don't want juice boxes spilled in the back seat or even induce vomiting.
The beautiful thing about this car is the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde personality spilt only an electric car can really benefit from. Try it before you knock it.

djharrington | October 8, 2018

@jb1120:

Mostly due to the Michelin recommendation that 4Ss not be taken below 40°F while being loaded for cracking concerns. I used to run PS2s through the winter on an AWD 911 turbo and that was fine, but I never saw a similar warning for those tires. So, Michelin got a little more money from me. I’m using the 4S to put on another set of wheels as front tires (and will do 275s in back).

The 3+ have been great so far (little noticed reduction in dry traction).

Bighorn | October 8, 2018

Yes, wheel choice. What is your actual extrapolated max rated range? 310 still?

That said, anybody can beat rated range by slowing down.

JAD | October 8, 2018

I found on my P3+ the range was significantly better with 45 psi cold than the 42 recommended. Especially with the colder weather, be sure to keep the pressure up for max range.

matt80206 | October 8, 2018

I haven't actually paid attention...

ReD eXiLe ms us | October 8, 2018

Methinks someone should be advised remove that leaden right boot prior to raising doubts...

Rocky_H | October 8, 2018

Newcaster: "Local man buys new sportscar and doesn't get rated gas mileage. More on this unfolding story, as well as the wetness of water on tonight's news at 11."

jimglas | October 8, 2018

Drive 40 mph and you will go much farther than advertised.

746 | October 8, 2018

I second the regenerative breaking comment from @Jbosch.

You can easily get 10-20% more range by just getting off the gas more quickly at a traffic sign and then roll up to the line without gas. Takes a bit of practice because the regenerative brakes are pretty effective and you have to factor in incline and speed to entirely avoid using the regular brakes.

wayne | October 8, 2018

I saw a 40% reduction in range driving at 85 mph on cruise control .

Your mileage may vary. :-)

Lefty805 | October 8, 2018

M3P+ Red...because it's faster!

My Wh/mi is 303 after 1200 miles. I can do small - non-expressway trips and get it down to 285-290. I drive 50 miles to work and 50 back each day, 63 mph max, some stop and go, mostly flat country roads. I am getting roughly 80% efficiency on my battery usage. (75,000/303=247.52/310=79.8%)

I can get 27-30 mpg in my 2014 Honda Accord V-6 coupe rated at 18 city/28 highway, for the same commute.
Don't have a lead foot, but I don't like slow-pokes either.

So I really don't know why my range is not what Tesla expects, but I'm not too worried about it. It now costs me $4.25 in electricity a day to commute instead of $12.50 in gas.

nealnorton | October 8, 2018

My M3 dual seems to have about a 260 mile max range with the 19" wheels and driven mixed highway and city. Top speed on the highway 75mph. I would have to work pretty hard at hyper-mileing to get the range up to 300 miles.

KenAF | October 8, 2018

There is a significant loss in range with the heavy 20” wheels and “sticky” Michelin P4S summer tires.

Model 3 RWD with 18” aero wheels = 200-210 wh/mile
Model 3 RWD with 19” wheels = 220-230 wh/mile
Model 3 AWD with 18” aero wheels = 240-245 wh/mile
Model 3 AWD with 19” wheels = 255 wh/mile
Model 3 AWD-P with 18” aero wheels = 245-260 wh/mi
Model 3 AWP-P with 20” wheels and sticky tires = 285-300 wh/mi

If you like “chill mode,” you might as well buy the Model 3 RWD, because the RWD and AWD-P perform similarly when in that mode, but you get superior range with the RWD model.

ODWms | October 8, 2018

Chill mode sounds like a great plan for those who are concerned about range, and then a switch to sport mode can be done when you want to more enjoy performance.

Chill won’t fix average speed

KenAF | October 8, 2018

All Teslas lose significant range when driving in excess of 70mph.

You can easily lose 10% range driving at 75-80mph vs 70mph.

bbloomfield | October 8, 2018

@djharrington

Have you noticed any increase in noise with the A/S 3+? I'm taking delivery of my P3D+ soon and going to do the same for Maryland's winter.

njchillie | October 9, 2018

I have an AWD (non-P) and have consistently gotten much less range than rated, and much higher power usage than required for the rated range, at sub 50 mph driving, and not aggressive acceleration. So far, averaging 275 WH/mile. I called Tesla and they claim to be reviewing the logs, but the initial response from the customer service rep was that the power usage looked fine, though it is far above the 230 needed to be close to the 310 advertised range.

djharrington | October 9, 2018

@bbloomfield: possibly there is a very small increase in tread growl. Not enough for me to definitively say the tires are louder. I’m perfectly happy with it, and will now never purchase an acoustic-tech tire aftermarket unless they were cheaper.

Rocky_H | October 9, 2018

@njchillie, This is new for people who haven't driven electric cars before. Gas cars constantly waste about two thirds of the energy of the gasoline out the tailpipe and radiator as waste heat. It's basically a full time job for the engine to desperately get rid of all that excess heat before it melts itself down. Electric motors are so efficient they don't have much waste heat, so if you want to keep you warm and keep the inside of the car at 70 degrees, it has to run an electric heater. Guess where that electricity comes from?

So the EPA rating number you're trying to get comes from the EPA testing procedure that is done with NO climate control running. But here in the non-EPA real world, it's October, and you're running the heat, so the battery is having to supply heat + miles, not just miles. So that's going to show as a higher consumption number in the winter.

ryan.c | February 7, 2019

I get that the Performance isn't supposed to get the range that the LR model with 18" wheels should, however, yesterday I charged to 100% and went on a 200 mile round trip returning home with 3%. About 50 miles of that was bumper to bumper LA traffic. Didn't hit the accelerator hard at all. That's a pretty long way from 310.

kallian | February 7, 2019

This is winter time, you range will be less. But yes drive on chill with low regen, and try to use autopilot if you have it.
Also I think using autopilot it should have an option to use chill mode automatically. No reason for AP to use standard or sport mode to accelerate like crazy. Its actually dangerous.
I have seen my P3D- at 225wh/mi at around 54F. It varies with traffic but its pretty good with low regen where its not constantly accel/regen. You use a little bit more brakes but doing pads yourself its only $70 vs the energy savings you get by not regen-ing all the time.

Chill mode with slow traffic with low regen is the best, and high speed with standard regen is best, too bad no option to split that.
I believe that is the most efficient way to regen. Possibly a feature request that switches between standard/low regen based on speed split at 40mph (also configurable). These options should increase efficiency when you are not being lead footed.

ODWms | February 7, 2019

I mentioned in another thread my P3D+ gets great mileage, big wheels/tires and all. I can easily get 310 if I’m driving at the speed limit in city driving, or even a mix of city and hwy. I think far more of your mileage is going to depend upon HOW you’re driving more so than what (P+, P-, AWD, RWD).

A lot of folks seem to forget that rated mileage on Teslas as well as ther EVs isn’t the best at hwy miles like ICEs. An ICE car’s mileage rating can be 36 hwy/28 city. An EV’s mpg equivalent can be 138 CITY/121 HWY.

City is where EV mileage is higher. But a lot of folks are complaining about highway mileage not reaching 310. It’s not supposed to.

agkulcz | February 7, 2019

@ryan.c The way I look at it is that 3/4 of the year my Model 3 is the LR edition but 1/4 of the year it is the SR edition. I knew from the beginning that I needed the LR M3 for it to be useful in the winter - if you buy SR M3, you'll end up with Hyundai Ionic or VW Golf EV in the winter as far as range is concerned.

dgriffer1 | February 7, 2019

I drive 190-200 miles twice a week on the highway at 73-76 mph and get 240-260 range. It works out ok. I have a P3D. In the city with my wife driving its lower. Can you say lead foot!

CharleyBC | February 7, 2019

Just to be a bit contrary, we are finding our range to be pretty accurate. Our efficiency (actual over rated miles) runs right around 96-108%. No complaints here so far.

lpjakob | February 8, 2019

I agree with CharleyBC. M3P+ with all options was delivered Sept, 2018. All driving range forecast and actual mileage have been spot on. I live in the mountains of Southern California so temps very from high of 110 in summer to 20 in winter evenings. After 5+ months, the only deviation I can document is 90% full charge mileage changed from 270 to 277 after update to 2018.50.5 on 1/18th. With low winter evening temps, I would have expected this number to drop, not rise? Actual driving distance estimates are still spot on so for some reason, 90% charge has increased by 7-miles. I have not changed my driving habits.

rsingh05 | February 8, 2019

My wh/mi has been higher than projected by the car as well, but I have the 20inch wheels which are stickier.

However I upped the tire pressure yesterday to 45 (per @Jad's input above) and the wh/mi seems to have dropped with no perceptible difference in ride quality.

On the 18inch wheels with LRR tires and aero caps, the P3 mileage should be as advertised as long as you aren't traveling > 65 mph and dont have AC/heat on.

ODWms | February 8, 2019

Exactly. I can’t diminish anyone else’s negative experiences, but I can say the same.

paul.welch97 | March 1, 2019

Interesting comments. Strange about the different ranges. I picked up a AWD with 19" tires on 12/31/18. It already had 1700 miles on it and now it has 5012 miles. So little over 3000 of those are my miles. From the favorites on the mapping system the car had been all the way down to SoCal and then up to Seattle. For that first 1700 miles it listed efficiency at 350 kWh/Mile. I figured it had a lot of high speed highway miles on it but since I've gotten it my efficiency has been about 340 kWh/Mile. Given the 75kWh battery, efficiency needs to be about about 240 kWh/mi to achieve the stated range. I'm no where near that. I have about a 10-12 mile commute to work each day with max speed limits of about 60. I decided to see what I could do to max out the efficiency. I drove very conservative with no heated seats and even turned off the heating (fan) system in the car. I was able to achieve 234kWh/mile but the windows fogged up and it got cold in the car. Outside temps were about 40 degrees. I expect some inefficiency with the temp and all wheel drive but going from a stated range of 310 down to 220 (340kWh/mi) is a pretty harsh drop. It's basically about a 30% loss of efficiency. And I'm not going to stop using climate control when the outside temp is running in the 30-50 degree range. I'm starting to wonder if I should have Tesla evaluate it. I'd be fine with even 15% drop but losing about 100 miles is pretty disappointing.

paul.welch97 | March 1, 2019

My mistake above. The efficiencies should all have been in Wh/mi NOT kWh/mi. So the numbers are still correct but the units were not.

TBC's model 3 | March 6, 2019

My Tesla model 3 performance is only managing 170 miles range not the advertised 310. After monitoring closely since December, on average my actual range is about 55% of projected range. I'm trying to follow the blogs and advice from Tesla best practices – but this seems way off. The cost from outside chargers is bringing me to a little over $.13 per mile which is in Lexus territory – even some BMWs. Any advice?

jimglas | March 6, 2019

pre-warm the car while plugged in, drive slower and turn off the heat

Pages