Forums

Solar panels not charging Powerwall during daylight hours, using Grid power instead.

Solar panels not charging Powerwall during daylight hours, using Grid power instead.

After finally getting my Solar and Powerwall system activated by the local electric company. I've been toying with the Tesla App for the past week. Currently, I'm using the Tesla App 1.26.0 on an Android phone. We have a 7.4KWh Solar array and 2 Powerwall 2 battery packs.

I noticed that on the "Configuration" page, I was able to alter the settings to pull from the Powerwall units during the evening. As a test, I attempted to set the Powerwall reserve to 50%.

This seemed to work OK, until the following day. During regular daylight hours (located in Hawaii and a bright sunny day). The solar panels on the roof were only providing power for the household, not charging the Powerwall systems. Solar Panel activity for that day shows a near constant power usage (from solar) of 1.2 to 2 KWh. However, there was a noticable spike of Solar energy production at approximately 2:00pm. Solar production shot up to 3.7KW and the Powerwall showed that it was charging for about 30 minutes. Then, the solar capabilities simply reverted to supplying the house and the Powerwall started to charge from the grid.

Obviously this is not ideal.

If I go through the house, and turn on everything that uses electricity (stove, 6 split air A/C units, water heater, TVs, game consoles, computers, etc), my energy usage will spike to 5.5 KW and is shown to be completely covered by Solar production. If this is possible, then why isn't the Solar array charging the Powerwall batteries during the day? I realize I have just recently activated my Solar array and Powerwall system. Is this something that irons itself out over time?

Beyond this, there are a few smaller issues like: The self signed certificate that the Powerwall's embedded web-server uses is not able to be imported into a Chromebook laptop. The Tesla app, when downloaded to a Android capable Chromebook does not function (black screen). Currently, the Tesla App shows "1x Powerwall" at the bottom of the screen, when I have 2 powerwall units installed.

If any longterm Powerwall users have some good advice (or URLs) on dealing with these issues, I'd be most grateful.

brucelortzhi | December 6, 2018

Update: Today I turned on everything in the house that can use power. On the Tesla app, power usage spiked to 28.1KWh. At this time, solar output jumped to 5.5KWh, with the remainder being provided by the Grid.

I reconfigured the Self-Supply settings to have the Powerwall maintain a 90% charge. It is currently 25% charged.

After shutting everything down, solar output is now back to 0.5KWh, Powerwall is still not charging from Solar. I've looked online at other Tesla forums where people state that their Powerwall systems were limited to charging at a rate of 3 - 5.5 KWh. However, my Powerwall does not seem to be charging from Solar at all.

When I switch the Tesla App to the "My Home" setting, the history for Solar production shows 0kWh Solar Energy, for Today, Yesterday, and Week.

Should I just stop messing with the system and see if this sorts itself out? Due to my Electric Company, I've already had the solar panels sitting idle on my roof for almost half of the year. And seeing that the Solar panels can produce up to 5.5KWh of power, then watching it drop back to 0.5 is rather disheartening.

peter | December 7, 2018

It sounds like the CT is on the wrong feed.

brucelortzhi | December 7, 2018

Peter! Thanks for the reply. I now know a lot more about what a CT, aka: "Current Transformer" is. Also about solar power in Connecticut =).

This looks like I'll be making a call to Tesla to have them check it out. On the upside, my two days of whining allows me to cut and paste into a quick email.

Thanks again for the response.

drmelendez78 | December 21, 2018

I had the same issue the first couple of days. I called powerwallsupport and they quickly noticed that the CT's were not configured. They called my installer and told them they needed to come back out. Once they came out the installer and tesla worked together and fixed the issue. They discovered the following:

CT's were not configured correctly
Missing the latest update.
I was on 1.26.0 they updated it to 1.30.0.

Once i installed my apps, i had to wait 1 full discharge in order to access the advance settings.
In advance, i did the following
Advance time Based control
Cost savings
Adjusted the Off peak and on Peak to match my SCE pricing.
I left the reserve at 0 as i want my house to pull all of it's power from the battery between 2 pm 10 pm. My rates are at $0.35(2pm-8pm) and $0.27(8pm-10pm)
I am going to run this for a 2 months or so and see how that impacts my bill
Even with this setting, I still fed energy to the grid between 2-4 pm crediting me at $.35
Now, i did pull about 10 kw from midnight to 2 pm.However that is billed from 10 pm- 8 am at $0.12 and from 8am - 2 pm at $0.27

Keep in mind that that in this mode i still charged the powerwall(90%) and feed energy to my house.

Hope this helps.

whartnell6 | February 8, 2019

To give energy to the grid (grid technology), so that it is used by other appliances. In principle, this is a modern and most used option in private homes. Very convenient, nothing is lost, all that is generated is given to the network, the number of required components is minimal. Alas, it didn’t work for my balcony - the recommended power of the panels for the normal operation of the inverter was 200W, and it was already not included in the budget to increase the number of panels 2 times. And there was no big economic sense - the windows face east, and direct sunlight hits them only in the morning until 11-12 am. Some of my friends on the roofs of houses, use technology http://wavesolartech.com/above-ground-pools/

jeff.enderwick | March 1, 2019

I'm thinking of buying a powerwall2 setup. In San Diego, SDGE charges $0.15-$0.32 to DISTRIBUTE (not generate!) power, and with net-metering, they only credit for the generation and not the distribution. Also, they have now set peak time to be 4pm-9pm!

Is powerwall2 configurable/smart enough to retain all solar generated power rather than letting it flow back to the grid AND also grabbing extra grid power during off-peak so that I can avoid the peak charges and also the unnecessary distribution charges by holding onto my self-generated excess power?