Forums

Moving while falcon door is open

Moving while falcon door is open

I just recently I drove my MDX with a falcon door open hitting the wall above the garage entrance. The door was damaged and cannot close.

I pulled up just outside the garage to give my passenger room to open this door and remove some boxes from the rear seat. I incorrectly assumed that the passenger who had then exited the rear passenger seat had closed this door. Given the several proximity warning sounds all going off, I did not attend to the sound warning that a door was open nor see the warning on the dash as I routinely pulled into the garage.

I learned from my body shop that at, this location alone, I was one of ~ 10 MDX owners who had hit their falcon door when it was open, seriously damaging the door.

Instead of just a warning, it would be helpful to have an option that an owner could select that would prevent the car from moving, in this situation, before it was put back in Park and then let it move only when it was reset again to Drive or Reverse.

lilbean | January 12, 2019

How did you miss the warning on the dash. Mine goes crazy when I drive with the door open.

packpike | January 12, 2019

Agree with lilbean, the driving with FWD open message is way more noticeable and intense than the proximity warnings. It throws a huge message on the dash too. I only do it occasionally in a parking lot (wide open) after dropping people off and usually for less than 5 feet. I only do it then to keep the people behind me from getting antsy if I’m not moving. I'm not sure that Tesla can create enough options for all of the possible things that people might do. Consider it a lesson learned and move on. Read your warnings next time.

tony.karais | January 13, 2019

You simply (and those others) aren't paying attention. The main screen changes color and there's a warning on the main dash display!

Vawlkus | January 14, 2019

Having driven in a parade with both FWD open, I can say it’s damn near impossible to miss the shear number of warnings the car gives. This is “driving into a school bus because you didn’t see it” levels of inattention.

jimglas | January 14, 2019

Well done V

BadgerX | January 17, 2019

To drive with the FWD's open, as in a parade, pull the cruise control stalk toward you 4 times. This will shut off the annoying warning chime.

Blueskies | January 17, 2019

The last paragraph of the Original Post sounds reasonable. Why not provide an idiot proof software setting option.

Vawlkus | January 18, 2019

Funny Badger, not.

BadgerX | January 18, 2019

Try it V. It works for me.

Vawlkus | January 21, 2019

That’s the Rainbow Road Easter egg Trigger.