Forums

Will the model 3 LR AWD be getting Battery and 5% power upgrade

Will the model 3 LR AWD be getting Battery and 5% power upgrade

Can’t find any info regarding Battery and power upgrades for my LR AWD. I did purchase AP for 2,000, very pleased.
Would appreciate info regarding the free battery and power upgrades, if any.

Dravize | March 11, 2019

the range upgrade is through a software update, I am unaware of anything regarding a free battery...

Passion2Fly | March 11, 2019

No. The online performance page for each car still shows 4.5 sec and 310 miles for the AWD. The LR RWD has been updated to 5.0 sec (from 5.5) and 325 miles ( from 310)...

gmr6415 | March 11, 2019

"We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles."

Passion2Fly | March 11, 2019

@gmr
So, why doesn’t the online sales performance data show any increase for AWD but does for RWD?

jimglas | March 11, 2019

Dual motor is less efficient, so less range than RWD

gmr6415 | March 11, 2019

@Passion2Fly, In increase in what?. 1, 2, 3?

1) "These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles..."
2) "...increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph..."
3) "...add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles."

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

gmr6415 | March 11, 2019

@Passion2Fly, AHHHH! I hate auto fil,

Should say" an increase in what?

bfenster | March 11, 2019

oooohhh I didn't read that closely enough the first time - "average" is not a good word. That means AWDs could technically get a .00001% power upgrade and MR, LR, and Performance could take the avg up to 5%. Really hoping that's not the case but we'll have to wait and see. Would be nice to get the specifics per model

gcklo | March 11, 2019

I think potentially LR AWD has been upgraded to 310 miles. Previously, it definitely doesn't get you 310 miles.

bfenster | March 11, 2019

A range increase was specified for LR RWD, not AWD. I'd be shocked if they messed with the current limit of 310 for AWD. I personally don't buy that they're doing anything different here other than calling out what was already the range of the RWD and s/w enabling that higher limit for those cars... but it's all just speculation.

The only update where the AWD could be considered is " average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles." My only point is that this leaves it extremely vague of whether or how much of a peak power increase the AWD will get

TM3Q | March 11, 2019

It’s easy to upgrade power to the motors because they can control the hardware the drives the motor by software! So they simply change the acceleration pedal parameters so that when fully press down the motor will receive more power because they just raised the maximum limit thru software.

The reason I see behind this was they needed lots of data feedback from the new model 3 on the road and verify if all the data from various sensors, voltage, current, temperature, speed etc were in safe operating zone and if they could increase to higher power without dommaging the motors or hardware in long term. Maybe they also had beta tester for the increase speed to see the results.

Bighorn | March 11, 2019

All models have been rated 310 including AWD and P3D. I can achieve that in my P3D- plus 25 miles more.

xtermz | March 11, 2019

@bighorn how? I have LR AWD and best case get 250 mile range with 19 inch wheels. You have 20 inch wheels I presume and more power on tap, but get a 335 mile range?!

TeslaMarque | March 11, 2019

I have the P3D, has anyone in this forum or anywhere else ever had their vehicle up to 155?

Serious question.

kevin_rf | March 11, 2019

https://youtu.be/Yvlt-xGQiM0

Btw Due to the sudden warm snap I managed to get sun 200 wmh on a drive with an AWD 18" Aero's today. That would easily exceed 310 miles range.

madkim23 | March 11, 2019

I have 18” aero LR RWD and have only gotten better then 310 on one all highway road trip. The temps were 70s and the ride was substantially down hill. In my experience, if you drive 65-75 range, regardless of temperature, you are unlikely to exceed 310.

If you live in San Diego and are willing to drive 55, you will meet or exceed rated range all year round. For anyone who has 4 seasons and drives like most people, you will likely be under rated for most of your trips regardless of what model you have, but particularly with AWD and Performance. That may change if RWD does get a true 15 mile bump with this new update. Country road travel at slow speeds is not the kind of road trip I am referring to.

dbwitt | March 11, 2019

@Passion2Fly said,
"No. The online performance page for each car still shows 4.5 sec and 310 miles for the AWD. The LR RWD has been updated to 5.0 sec (from 5.5) and 325 miles ( from 310)..."

The LR RWD was always 0-60 in 5.0 sec (not 5.5). So there isn't actually an improvement for it as mentioned above.

dbwitt | March 11, 2019

Correction, the LR RWD was originally 5.1, so it did shave off 0.1 seconds. But it wanted to know that it wasn't 5.5 at least...

Bighorn | March 11, 2019

@xtermz
I have the 18s and have had to get rated range to make a 295 mile leg between Maine and New Brunswick superchargers. In order to get rated range, you need to achieve 236 Wh/m. I got 219 going and 220 returning driving the speed limit between 50 and 68 MPH. Today, a 25 mile round trip in 40 degree weather with heat at 72, I got 204 Wh/m.

ADinM3 | March 11, 2019

From beginning of May 2018 until end of Oct 2018 ironically I averaged exactly 234 Wh/m over about 9k miles. I have 18s with Aeros removed after the first month and definitely drive spirited as I will be very, very lucky to to get 18k miles out of my tires (I am at ~4.5mm at 13.5k miles now). I've been able to stay below 234 on 100 mile highway stretches between at 75 mph, but wind, temp, hills, tire pressure and speed have increasing sensitivity at those speeds.

Winter certainly takes its toll, but unfortunately my numbers are tainted as daily range is not a problem for me so do I warm the car way more than necessary if I was trying to consume. The extra pennies a day savings is simply not worth not having the car toasty warm in the bitter cold here.

ODWms | March 11, 2019

I have a PD3 + (big wheels and all), I had a round trip of 35 miles a couple of days ago where I got 191 wh/mi. They were virtually all city miles. at that rate I would have gotten over 330 miles of range easily.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that EVs don’t get their best range with highway miles. EVs including Teslas get their highest mileage in the city. We’re stuck in the ICE car mindset of thinking rated miles means highway miles.

Bighorn | March 11, 2019

@OD
383 miles. I think the record is over 600 miles, by more than one car.

RedShift | March 11, 2019

@BH

There you are again, with your super low energy numbers. What do you have, Helium in your tires and filled your cabin with Helium balloons? (I know, I know, wouldn’t work)
I believe the first numbers because your speed was low. The second? In 40 degree and just a 25 mile round trip at 204? What speed were you going at, 25 mph?
I have averaged about 220 in my LR on medium sized trips, but longer ones in cold weather (32-40F) tended to be much higher (330 or more) with just the seat heaters going at level 2, no cabin heat.

Bighorn | March 11, 2019

@RS
Don’t get me wrong, my lifetime is about 280 and I can easily run 350. Today’s trip is predominantly 55MPH, but also 45 and 30 with stop lights. Pre-charging is what allows such good numbers. I do have almost 30k miles on my tires and I think the rolling resistance may be better now.

billlake2000 | March 11, 2019

Yeah, I think Bighorn has a secret methodology and he ain't talkin. I can't even get that in my LR RWD.

RedShift | March 11, 2019

@BH

Precharging! I missed that. Makes sense.

ODWms | March 12, 2019

I think a lot of folks really underestimate the efficiency of these Teslas; even many who drive them every day. The fact that I can get such low energy numbers when I need to, out of such a high performance vehicle is awesome. Ive never driven anything like this.

ADinM3 | March 12, 2019

I just double checked my numbers again. Lifetime is 266 wh/mi @14916 miles. My Trip B which I set when in late Fall sometime is 301Wh/mi @ 7179 mi. Therefore, my first 7.7k miles must have been approximately low 230s which corresponded to Summer driving.

I certainly could have improved all numbers if I actually had tried, especially the Winter numbers. Bottom line, rated miles in Summer show be pretty easy for most and Winter driving will be over.

lordmiller | March 12, 2019

What do you mean by Pre-charging?

Bighorn | March 12, 2019

@lord
Charging the battery right before departure so it’s nice and warm and more efficient. Also improves regen capabilities when it’s cold out.

lordmiller | March 12, 2019

Ahh got it. That's what I do in the morning before I hit the shower. I've been getting 120% efficiency on my way to work. according to Stats. I feel the car is super efficient.

ADinM3 | March 12, 2019

I've been wondering if the new On Route battery warming can be fooled by telling the car to navigating to a SC even when not to pre-heat the battery. Probably not too useful overall except for a few very rare scenarios.

slingshot18 | March 19, 2019

It's fairly easy to get above the 310 miles on AWD, depending on conditions. Most of my road trips are in the 70-75mph and I get slightly worse that the rated 236wh/mi. Yesterday I did almost 100 miles round trip, some decent elevation change, AC on (it was mid 80's outside), lots of gunning it to get around people, and using regen appropriately. I got 245wh/mi. If I turned off AC and kept it at 65-70 I would have beat 236wh/mi.

So we're still not sure if the AWD is going to get the 5% power boost? This seems mind boggling to me. The AWD should be the easiest, and safest from a warranty perspective, version of the car to boost 5%.

rkalbiarEV | March 19, 2019

I also do not think the AWD is going to get a 5% boost but still hoping!

ODWms | March 20, 2019

Didn’t they say “all TESLA Model 3 vehicles”? Or am I mistaken?

finman100 | March 20, 2019

well, ave 5% across all Model 3s...so zero for AWD and 10% for RWD...5% average.

why would AWD be better equipped to "handle" 5% power boost for warranty purposes? the extra motor?

kurtmetcalfe24 | March 20, 2019

In case people haven’t seen this yet....

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1108311946623778821?s=21

peishantan55 | April 3, 2019

Davidlombardi did you purchase the FSD as well? I tried to purchase the FSD as I currently have EAP and was told it would cost me $5000. I was really upset since I already paid $5000 for EAP when I purchased my car.

peishantan55 | April 3, 2019

Also has anyone else received the update with the power boost yet?

ODWms | April 4, 2019

I have. 2018 PD3+, built 8/18. Received late Thursday evening, 3/28.

TesLife3 | April 4, 2019

I just got the update 2019.8.5 tonight. My LR AWD has 5% peak performance increase too.

AssasSAINTSnate | April 4, 2019

I also received my update tonight. Very happy camper here though i didn't notice the power boost as much. I;m going to take it on a test drive on the 5 fwy in a bit to test it out

Darrelly | April 4, 2019

I just got 8.5 as well and the release notes do say a 5% power increased. I wish Tesla would just post what the actual horsepower and 0-60 times are now with the updates.

Darrelly | April 4, 2019

I just got 8.5 as well and the release notes do say a 5% power increased. I wish Tesla would just post what the actual horsepower and 0-60 times are now with the updates.

beaver | April 4, 2019

@Darrelly check Tesla.com for published 0-60 times for new software (8.3+), or check other threads like the 0-60 one I started. HP will have to wait for dtno results

Darrelly | April 4, 2019

@beaver - my LR AWD still shows the same 0-60 @ 4.5s even though my release notes state that I have 5% more power and acceleration. Is that saying the increase is not really noticeable in the 0-60 range?

AWDTesla | April 5, 2019

I can definitely feel the difference, especially over 100. Its got more punch to it

ODWms | April 5, 2019

That’s awesome to hear. That’s where it needed it.

Darrelly | April 5, 2019

lol, exactly!